Shortening wiper arms/blades for chopped top windshield?

Started by seadog, June 30, 2006, 02:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

I have looked high an low for a wiper arm/blade combo that will fit the windshield of my three inch chopped Deuce 5window.  Does anybody on here know of a source or, failing that, what's the process for chopping the arm and blade.  It can't be as simple as cutting a slice out of the middle and welding the arm back together, can it?  How do you then shorten the blade?  I'm at work now and can't get to the car to measure the actual windshield height, but I think it's something in the neighborhood of 8-9 inches tall, maybe a little more or less.  Thanks.  -Tom

EMSjunkie

have you tried Volkswagen wiper arms and blades?

that is what I use on my coupe with a 3 1/2 inch chop.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

C9

Here's a Pacific Raingear wiper motor installed into a 2" chopped roadster windshield.

Normally roadster wiper motors are in the upper part of the frame, but this one is mounted into a windshield finger pull hole that's been drilled oversize.

Look close and you can see that the upper part of the wiper blade has been chopped.
Easily done by sawing in two with a razor saw - available in hobby shops.

It works well, but the wiped area of the windshield glass is quite small.
Rain-X is the thing to use here.

The wiper motor and blade makes the Gendarmes happy.

Rain-X makes me happy....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

sy454

I have a 35 Chevy 3" chop coupe.No windshield wipers .I use rain X it works great.I ran at Kool April Nights in Redding ,ca and it rained. No problem.The windshield are so small the wiper doesn't work very well anyway.Just a Thought.

Inprimer

Quote from: "seadog"I have looked high an low for a wiper arm/blade combo that will fit the windshield of my three inch chopped Deuce 5window.  Does anybody on here know of a source or, failing that, what's the process for chopping the arm and blade.  It can't be as simple as cutting a slice out of the middle and welding the arm back together, can it?  How do you then shorten the blade?  I'm at work now and can't get to the car to measure the actual windshield height, but I think it's something in the neighborhood of 8-9 inches tall, maybe a little more or less.  Thanks.  -Tom
look at some old MG's or MG migets, they had a small glass area

zzford

Quote from: "seadog"I have looked high an low for a wiper arm/blade combo that will fit the windshield of my three inch chopped Deuce 5window.  Does anybody on here know of a source or, failing that, what's the process for chopping the arm and blade.  It can't be as simple as cutting a slice out of the middle and welding the arm back together, can it?  How do you then shorten the blade?  I'm at work now and can't get to the car to measure the actual windshield height, but I think it's something in the neighborhood of 8-9 inches tall, maybe a little more or less.  Thanks.  -Tom
I have a 33 3W coupe and I am using early (pre 65) VW wipers and arms. They work well but don't cover much area.

Dave

someone sells a short stainless one that can be shortened. Im using one from southern rods i think with a swivel blade end . it works great after you get the  
swivel end set  right. this is on a 32 3 window with a 3to 31/2 chop
Dave

Pep

Don't know if this helps, but I chopped mine at either end,not in the middle. I then overlapped the cut off pieces and glued them back on . I use an epoxy glue that is strong enough. The blades are then just cut with snips. They slide in like standard and the retaining clips work in their normal manner.
http://pepsgarage.com/september_2004.htm
See Ya
Pep

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "Pep"Don't know if this helps, but I chopped mine at either end,not in the middle. I then overlapped the cut off pieces and glued them back on . I use an epoxy glue that is strong enough. The blades are then just cut with snips. They slide in like standard and the retaining clips work in their normal manner.
http://pepsgarage.com/september_2004.htm

My el camino has a 4" chop when I got it the previous owner did not do anything to the wipers I cut them and overlapped and silver soldiered.  I had to do two arms for the one blade and get it to operate correctly but works fine. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Uncle Bob

Here's another wild thought for an alternative.  I walked by a Volvo yesterday that had headlight wipers.  Looked like the blades were about 5" long, They were shaped like a typical Trico/Anco and were all black both blade spine and arm.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.