Rattly Moon Disks

Started by Normspeed, June 30, 2006, 12:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normspeed

I put a set of screw-on 15" Moons on my car, they look great but they like to rattle in turns and going over bumps. I have 'em torqued down as tight as possible, any more might distort them.  Mooneyes says to run a bead of silicone around the rim and re-install to cure the rattle, but I'm thinking that could get tedious if I need to re-silicone them each time I check tire pressure. Anyone else dealt with this?  Or should I just name my car the Rattler?

DRD57

maybe put the silly cone on them and let it cure before putting them back on.

Rex Schimmer

We ran some Moon discs on a RX7 race car back in the early 80s when we ran at Daytona and we clocked all of the screw holes on all of our wheels to make sure that the screw holes were in the same relationship to the tire valve and then we made a small "window" in the Moon disc that allowed us to do tire pressure changes without removing the disc and they looked good.

Rex

Normspeed

I think I'll try putting the silicone on the rim, and spraying the back of the moons with silicone spray before I install 'em, so maybe it will stick to the rims but not to the discs.

DrJ

Instead of Silicon, which will chemically screw up the paint on your wheels and have to be scraped off and redone way too often, try some of the 3-M trim stickum, da*n, what's it called...
My Dad always called it "Dumdum" So I do too.
It looks like a black worm of semi-solid tar-like rubber cement.
If you ever took a door panel off it was probably holding that inner sheet of waterproff paper or plastic to the inner door panel metal.
Tht's what it's usually used for but it would work on your hub caps too.
Id also check for a structurally compromised wheel or center or wheel welds, if it's only one wheel.

Normspeed

That sounds good.  I'll take a look for some.

Normspeed

Anyone think of the name for this stuff? I'm gonna hunt some up but I got a feeling without the right name for it I may get some of them blank stares when I ask for it.

Quote from: "DrJ"Instead of Silicon, which will chemically screw up the paint on your wheels and have to be scraped off and redone way too often, try some of the 3-M trim stickum, da*n, what's it called...
My Dad always called it "Dumdum" So I do too.
It looks like a black worm of semi-solid tar-like rubber cement.
If you ever took a door panel off it was probably holding that inner sheet of waterproff paper or plastic to the inner door panel metal.
Tht's what it's usually used for but it would work on your hub caps too.
Id also check for a structurally compromised wheel or center or wheel welds, if it's only one wheel.

Charlie Chops 1940

Double sided trim tape might wok good too, although it'll take a heat gun to get then loose - maybe not such a good idea afterall.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

58 Yeoman

look 4 rope caulk at the home center.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Grandadeo

I tried to tell you before to get some aluminum wheels and bolt them on the wagon.  Then heliarc the moons to them  and you wouldn't have this rattling problem.  But NO you wouldn't listen to me.  You had to follow the directions and use those little screws.  I was just lookin out for ya pal.

Your Bud,
Grandadeo
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

enjenjo

3M calls it strip caulk.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Normspeed

Yeah but that was after you told me to through-bolt them to the steelies with 7" machine bolts and nylocks.  I think I'll just turn the radio up and see if the rattles go away.  

Quote from: "Grandadeo"I tried to tell you before to get some aluminum wheels and bolt them on the wagon.  Then heliarc the moons to them  and you wouldn't have this rattling problem.  But NO you wouldn't listen to me.  You had to follow the directions and use those little screws.  I was just lookin out for ya pal.

Your Bud,
Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Did ya mess with the 12 volt setup yet to power that radio?
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Normspeed

I installed the converter yesterday, it works great.  6 volt + ground converts to 12 volt neg ground.  It has an on-off relay connected to the accessory terminal so it's all automatic.  Mounted it under the dash where part of the old AM radio chassis and speaker used to live. Right now I'm just powering the XM boombox with it but when the budget permits I'm going with an XM ready head unit and some good speakers. The converter can handle 6 amps 12 volts output, so no subwoofers for the Mopar.  I think I can rig up a 12 volt tach using the converter as the power source.   The tach should add at least 15 HP, don't ya think?

ric

I just put a dab of silicone at each screw hole. Secures the discs but isn't such a mess to get off when you need to.