Seamless tubing

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 30, 2006, 12:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I read of seamless tubes in suspension use.

what material rating are we talking about?

I read 1 inch 156 wall tube... thread it for a 3/4 inch rod end
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

ASTM 1020, or 1030 mild steel.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pete

Another common name for it is DOM or "drawn over mandrel".
It can be had in mild steel or 4130 and many wall thickness's and diameters.
It's not cheap.

donsrods

Another common name for it is DOM or "drawn over mandrel".
It can be had in mild steel or 4130 and many wall thickness's and diameters.
It's not cheap.

Yep. I just bought a "stick" of 1 and 3/4 OD ,125 wall this week to use for the crossmembers in a T bucket I'm building. It was $ 125.00, and the price is fluctuating daily the guy at the steel supplier told me. A stick is a random length, and it was 20 feet in my case, but it the only way I can get it in my area. Maybe in some more industrialized area like LA you can get smaller quantitles.

Don

phat46

When i was making the front fourbars for my truck I couldn't find any DOM locally. I had the guy at work that orders all our steel stuff call Central steel and price it, since I had seen it in their catalog at work. It was about $125 for one length, i needed about ten feet, but they only sell full sticks. Our guy couldn't sweet talk them into a better deal even though we buy lots of stuff from them. I finally got some from a rodding friend in Canada, it was a heavier wall than i wanted but the price was right, $8.00 U.S. for two ten footers!!! (he had to cut a 20' length in half to get it in his van) Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't expect.

Rex Schimmer

I have bought a lot of DOM, 4130 and aero tubing and aluminum tubing for my car from both the Chassis Shop, www.chassisshop.com and also Aircraft Spruce. They both will sell any length and the pricing is acceptable and doesn't fluctuate alot. The "aero" tubing is a bit pricy though. The Chassis Shop also has all of the RH and LH ends to weld into tubing for links and also lots of rod ends, also lots of fittings, tank caps etc. I also bought my formed 1-3/4 4130 roll bar tubing from them. Great people.

Rex

river1

i've been buying a lot lately from http://www.sw-steel.com/

they have a large selection of DOM. at full length prices it's relatively expensive, but if you can find what you need in the remnant pile it not too bad. i go there mainly, but not only, because it's convenient. i go by there everyday on the way home, but if they were * i'd go somewhere else in a heartbeat.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

zzford

Dunno if it will help, but try colemanracing.com , they have tappable tubing in a wide variety of sizes. Comes in 4 and 8 foot lengths, pretty cheap, too.

Crosley.In.AZ

found this web site for parts and tube pieces.......look past the girly photos.  On the left is a menu board

http://www.suicidedoors.com/index.php

a bit beefier 4 bar stufff.  they seem to work with mini trucks a bit.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)