My hedders keep eating plug wires

Started by EMSjunkie, June 28, 2006, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

How do you fellers keep block-hugger hedders from eating your  plug wires? :?

I have tried the short Accel plugs, the Taylor 8mm wires............only to have them blister at the boot. :x  I have tried straight boots, 90* boots, same difference. after about 150-200 miles.......erratic miss. :(
check the plugs, #3,5,4,6 cyls blistered.

next step is the little insulating condoms for each wire, and/or wrapping the hedders with insulating wrap.

I have spent about half as much on plug wires as I did the whole stinkin car. :oops:

burnt up 3 wires going to and coming from Pueblo last weekend :evil:

Thanks,

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

MrMopar64

Hey Vance
I've got some of that insulting cover for the plug wires.
I'll dig it out if you want it and send it to you. I've got no use for it.
It came with some other stuff I bought from a guy.

Just let me know

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

phat rat

A caution about wrapping headers. It promotes rust. I wrapped a set on my cpe and the headers were rusted out in 2-3 years.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "phat rat"A caution about wrapping headers. It promotes rust. I wrapped a set on my cpe and the headers were rusted out in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the info Jack, I never thought about rust, being here in TX, rust usually too big a factor, but..................

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

phat rat

my understanding is, it's not the weather, but rain, washing anything that gets them wet. It takes awhile for them to dry when they are wrapped. Mine had also been painted with Eastwoods header paint and were ok until I wrapped them. When I pulled the wrapped later to fix a break I found them to be very thin in to many places to repair.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

rumrumm

I had to hammer the header a little to make space--I have 1 3/4  tube blockhuggers from Sanderson, and my spark plug boots touched the innner two tubes on both sides. I wasn't too happy that I had to do that to a new set of coated headers and would have thought Sanderson would have taken that into consideration when they designed them. But it did not take much to create a little clearance.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

EMSjunkie

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
the plug wires don't touch, but there is minimal claerance.

just one of those little "gremlins" that make owning a street rod soooo much fun. :)

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

just one of those little "gremlins" that make owning a street rod soooo much fun. :)  

Vance

I just burnt up some wires, cheaper MSD wires and just got Taylor spiro pro wires that I have yet to install.  I did heat the area at the closet point to the spark plug and harmmered in the area. So I am in the same boat and open for suggestions b4 I install the new wires thanks ED
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"................just got Taylor spiro pro wires that I have yet to install.  I did heat the area at the closet point to the spark plug and harmmered in the area...........ED

I've had the Taylor 8mm spiro wires on my truck all along and they have worked good for me.  I dimpled a couple of the header pipes though for a little clearance.  One of the boots burned through once, long time ago.  I put black RV silicone on it and let it dry and it is still on there.  Doesn't look great, but who's looking anyway 8) .  I did finally buy a new set of wires to put on 3 years ago, but they are still in the box.  I was waiting for the post about installing the ends.  Now that you guys talked about that the other day I'll have to think of another excuse :roll: .

One other thing that might help someone out is I've used the same fel-pro 1404 header gaskets for 130,000 miles without a problem.  I attribute some of that to the fact I've never had a header bolt loosen and need re-tightened.  I spent the big bucks on Stage 8's ($40) header bolt system with the retainers.  I'd do that again in an instant.

I have had problems with blowing out the collector gaskets a couple times.  I think I'm running the copper ones now and haven't had a problem in that area for years.

c ya, Sum

Deuce

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"How do you fellers keep block-hugger hedders from eating your  plug wires? :?

Simple ... angle plug heads ...  :)

Have had the same issues with non angle plug engines before ... so I am interested in the answer also ...

:lol:
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Vance

Go to Home Depot and get a 3/8" ID piece of soft copper tube. Cut 8 pieces about 1.5" to 2" long, and slit them lengthwise. Open them a little so they'll go over the wire without much trouble. Paint them to match the wire. Place a piece of thin cork gasket material inside the pipe, slip this over the wire where it contacts the header and close it gently to snug it up. The copper will dissipate the heat over a wider area thus lowering the temperature and the cork will keep it from arc-ing through to the header.
Should take about $10 and and a couple of hours time, and it's really hard to see them when they're painted up to match.

Got the parcel today. Mucho appreciato. Do you prefer the left arm or the right one...? :D  :D  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

EMSjunkie

You can keep your appendages Bry, it was my pleasure. :)

thanks for the "tech tip". thats a pretty cool idea, where did you steal it from? :P

Deuce, I like your idea too, got an extra set laying around? :wink:

MrMopar64 hooked me up with some insulation.

you guys are truly stand-up bros!!!

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

SKR8PN

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"How do you fellers keep block-hugger hedders from eating your  plug wires? :?

Never have that problem with a big or a small block Mopar :twisted:

(sorry,just couldn't resist........ :lol: )
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
thanks for the "tech tip". thats a pretty cool idea, where did you steal it from? :P
Vance

Actually, I saw the same thing a few years ago on a couple of Garlits cars in his museum just north of here. I don't know if they were copper, but almost exactly the same thing.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "SKR8PN"

Never have that problem with a big or a small block Mopar :twisted:

(sorry,just couldn't resist........ :lol: )

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders