Dodge Intrepid power windows in Advance Design trucks

Started by Chebby, June 26, 2006, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chebby

Hi all,

I seem to recall reading that Dodge Intrepid power window units (Dorman part # 741-554 Left and 741-555 Right) could be used to power the straight glass in '47-'55 (1st series) Chevy/GMC pickups.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks all.

Chebby

Chebby

Hi all,

Even though I didn't get confirmation, I decided the price was right at $88cdn per unit. Brothers wants close to $500 for a kit to do both doors on an Advance Design cab.

If anyone's interested, I'll post a how-to when I'm done.

Chebby

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Bob Paulin

I hate to be the guy throwing water on everything, but Dorman usually manufacturers the "problem" stuff for the aftermarket - stuff that breaks.....a lot!

They own the "Help" line of problem fixers you find in most auto parts stores.

Other than nuts and bolts, their catalog contains a whole bunch of items that often break and otherwise cause problems.

You'll notice that Dorman ONLY offers power window replacement stuff for certain models. The same is true with all their other lines - selective applications only....the applications that give the most trouble.

As I said, I don't want to throw water on anybody's excitement, but I would be cautious about using Dorman as any sort of an indicator of trouble-free OEM stuff......

.....more the opposite. If it's in the Dorman catalog, it must break often enough - and offer a good sales potential - for Dorman to justify producing it.

JMHO

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Dave

Well u ruined my day  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

Chebby

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"I hate to be the guy throwing water on everything, but Dorman usually manufacturers the "problem" stuff for the aftermarket - stuff that breaks.....a lot!

They own the "Help" line of problem fixers you find in most auto parts stores.

Other than nuts and bolts, their catalog contains a whole bunch of items that often break and otherwise cause problems.

You'll notice that Dorman ONLY offers power window replacement stuff for certain models. The same is true with all their other lines - selective applications only....the applications that give the most trouble.

As I said, I don't want to throw water on anybody's excitement, but I would be cautious about using Dorman as any sort of an indicator of trouble-free OEM stuff......

.....more the opposite. If it's in the Dorman catalog, it must break often enough - and offer a good sales potential - for Dorman to justify producing it.

JMHO

B.P.

Paul, if your theory is accurate then there's a whole lot of cars out there with poorly designed power window motors from the factory... The Dorman catalog dedicates 32 pages (pages 535-566 incl.) to replacement power window units. They cover a whole spectrum of cars and trucks, both foreign and domestic.

If I go by the use of power windows in my daily driver, I don't think I'll live long enough to wear these replacement units out. The truck will have A/C and the only purpose for the power window is to clean up the look of the door panels and to go to the drive thru window for my favorite java.

Thanks for your input.

Chebby

enjenjo

Bob is right, the local NAPA store keeps one of each in stock because they sell so many. I had a Chrysler Concorde, about the same car, and when I traded it in, three of the four windows were inop.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "enjenjo"Bob is right, the local NAPA store keeps one of each in stock because they sell so many. I had a Chrysler Concorde, about the same car, and when I traded it in, three of the four windows were inop.

Wow!  My GF has a 98 Chrysler Cirrus with PW, and has never had a problem in  over 200,000 miles, and she's always putting the windows up and down.  Is it the same setup?  (If her windows break now, she'll blame me for jinxing them).  I was reading not too long ago that the early 2000's Bonnevilles were having a lot of problems with their windows.  Maybe the more you use them, the longer they last?  I noticed the right window on my Ranger was chattering on the way down, the last time I drove it (not often).  I used the window a few times, and it quit chattering.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

My 2000 Bonneville has a broken rear window lift right now.

blasterboy

Quote from: "enjenjo"My 2000 Bonneville has a broken rear window lift right now.

new to this forum, good info coming forward , do a picture write up on power window set up. my 36 ford peek up is waiting. thanks ron

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"My 2000 Bonneville has a broken rear window lift right now.

Maybe stead of fixin every one elses junk you out to work on yer own..
Dave :arrow:

Fat Cat

Quote from: "N8DC"

Maybe stead of fixin every one elses junk you out to work on yer own..
Dave :arrow:

He probably would except the regulators are almost $300.

blasterboy

i got to jump in here , go to e bay look up "rat rod power windows "$139.95  plus $14.95 shipping this is the one i am going to put in 36 , they are on there all the time and have good feed back, nice looking unit and i think they are gm motors. good luck ron

48builder

Quote from: "Chebby"Hi all,

I seem to recall reading that Dodge Intrepid power window units (Dorman part # 741-554 Left and 741-555 Right) could be used to power the straight glass in '47-'55 (1st series) Chevy/GMC pickups.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks all.

Chebby

I don't know about the pick-ups, but here's what I did on my '48 Chevy Sedan. I took the OEM regulators and made a bracket to hold a GM motoer where the hand crank went. The motors were from a mid-90's Lumina and the gears fit perfectly. I spent a couple hours converting them and $50 for both motors. They work great and bolt right where they did before. I had to grind a small section from the motor mounting flange to clear the front window channel, but other than that it's a snap. I can post a couple pics if you want.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver