Too stupid to live!!!

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, June 25, 2006, 12:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Just shoot me.

The more I thought about the fuel pump(s) not working on the track roadster the more I talked to myself. So...I had a fuel pump gasket in one hand,  to make a pump hole cover pattern for when I get an electric pump, and a cup of java in the other when I wondered whether the gasket would fit either way - that is, cover the boss.

Well, it would...so I went in the other garage to look at one of my spare blocks and discovered that its gasket was "up side down". so I held the pump on that way and the lever hit the cam lobe. Ta da. Small block chevys have the body of the pump down...why wouldn't their 4 cylinder be the same?

Just goes to prove that a wrong assumption will produce erroneous results - almost every time.

So I got the pump on, replumbed and it pumped fuel to the carbs, but not enough spark to kick it off. Battery also discharged too much so it's on the charger.

I noticed that the coil was hot to touch. It was an inventory item of unknown lineage, so maybe a new coil would be helpful.

I fear my Motor Doctor license is in danger of revocation as I sit here laughing at myself.

As Enjenjo would say...I'm wrong and deserve a beating.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

"Those that do, never quit learning" One of my sayings for when I join your club.(Frequently)
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Just shoot me.

Yeah, Charlie, but you DID figure it out, now if someone else had looked at it and said "Charlie, why is your fuel pump on upside down?" Then you could feel badly. Nobody knows everything about all cars, welll.....maybe Frank, but i wonder sometimes if he's really a human, and not an alien. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

phat rat

I'm sure Kenny or I could spare the time to administer it.  :twisted: I'll call him to find out if he can get there before I can. :lol:
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Sean

I've had many Brain farts myself, so don't go thinking you have the monopoly on it.... :wink:

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, guys...in spite of all the brain farts I did coerce the little monster into running.  Was starting to think I was gonna have to administer a severe tire iron beating. Not a great experience but okay. It either idles crappy or buzzes right upstairs where it sounds really wicked. Tach isn't working but I'm guessing 4 grand. Poor initial adjustments I believe.

So, I gave up for today to do more Weber DCOE sidedraft carb tuning research.  I printed out a lot of good stuff. I never did get good info from Clifforf 6+8 on how these carbs are set up out of the box so I may have to disassemble one or both and take notes. In for a penny, in for a pound I guess.

I'm optimistic. When you guys come over to administer the beatings bring beer!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

GPster

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"and a cup of java in the other Charlie
See what happens when you start your day right? I have to have a cup of coffee first thing in the morning (OK, second thing' but this is the family channel) so that I'll have the strength to bleed so I can take my blood sugar. GPster

kb426

I wish I was closer to you guys. I'm so far away from active rodders that I feel like the maytag repair man. I'd be glad to bring beer to look at someone else's project that was coming along.
TEAM SMART

phat rat

Charlie

You mean besides being responsible for the beating we're also responsible for the beer?  :shock:  You ought to furnish that just for the pleasure of our company :wink:  Glad to hear you got it running, now it's getting rides that interest us.  :D
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

abonecoupe31

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Just shoot me.

The more I thought about the fuel pump(s) not working on the track roadster the more I talked to myself. So...I had a fuel pump gasket in one hand,  to make a pump hole cover pattern for when I get an electric pump, and a cup of java in the other when I wondered whether the gasket would fit either way - that is, cover the boss.

Well, it would...so I went in the other garage to look at one of my spare blocks and discovered that its gasket was "up side down". so I held the pump on that way and the lever hit the cam lobe. Ta da. Small block chevys have the body of the pump down...why wouldn't their 4 cylinder be the same?

Just goes to prove that a wrong assumption will produce erroneous results - almost every time.

So I got the pump on, replumbed and it pumped fuel to the carbs, but not enough spark to kick it off. Battery also discharged too much so it's on the charger.

I noticed that the coil was hot to touch. It was an inventory item of unknown lineage, so maybe a new coil would be helpful.

I fear my Motor Doctor license is in danger of revocation as I sit here laughing at myself.

Charlie

Charlie:  Your post caught my eye when you mentioned 4 cylinders.  What 4 cylinder engine are you using, and what kind of a car is it going into?..What kind of a transmission are you going to use?  Rear end and ratio?

I have Model A Fords, and as they are sort of chummy in the engine compartment,  I'm very interested in 4 cylinder and V6 options...tired of $3 a gallon gas prices, so good MPG is sort of where I want to be...rather than high performance.

I learned a lot by doing it myself from the stupid stuff I've done.  It's called learning....That hot coil, IMHO, is probably just from leaving the ignition key on...

abonecoupe31

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Well, guys...in spite of all the brain farts I did coerce the little monster into running.  Was starting to think I was gonna have to administer a severe tire iron beating. Not a great experience but okay. It either idles crappy or buzzes right upstairs where it sounds really wicked. Tach isn't working but I'm guessing 4 grand. Poor initial adjustments I believe.

So, I gave up for today to do more Weber DCOE sidedraft carb tuning research.  I printed out a lot of good stuff. I never did get good info from Clifforf 6+8 on how these carbs are set up out of the box so I may have to disassemble one or both and take notes. In for a penny, in for a pound I guess.

Charlie

I'm just down the lakeshore from you, (east of Douglas)...I'm diabetic, so beer is a seldom indulged luxury--so it's diet Coke with Lime for me as drink of choice...

Mark

purplepickup

Quote from: "abonecoupe31"Charlie:  Your post caught my eye when you mentioned 4 cylinders.  What 4 cylinder engine are you using, and what kind of a car is it going into?..What kind of a transmission are you going to use?  Rear end and ratio?
Mark, the answers to most of your questions are in this thread http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4959&sid=2f720d069b2b1b8f49fcf053060b8ed2
George

Charlie Chops 1940

Mark,

I honestly don't remember the gear ratio...it's on my list to pull the rear cover and count before I put lube in. I'll let you know. If you want to come up for a visit I always have diet Coke or others in the fridge. I'm retired so although time is at a premium I'm available almost any time.

If you are interested in a 153 I have a couple rebuildable cores in various stages of disassembly (spares - ya know?).

George - thanks for bringing up the prior thread.

I'm still messing with things. Think I found the cause of the transition from crappy idle to high rpm. Also found a water leak in that a couple valve cover holes went into the water jacket, Interestingly I found all the bolt holes were helicoiled. I put studs in but then found I couldn't get a socket on the nuts on the pass. side. Back to studs in the two leaky holes and screws in the others. The  valve cover was warped a bit so I did the gasket and heavy silicone bead thing this morning to hopefully cure that. I have a few other little jobs to do so I won't try to fire it again until tomorrow so that the silicone can set up completely.

Just seems to be an unusual amount of tinker work still.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Roadstar

It takes a big man to admit he's wrong, but to admit to being stupid!! :lol:

Actually I did the same on a 6 cylinder chevy enging once. The stupid pump goes upside down compaired to a small block, so I can admit to being stupid once, JUST once mind you. :lol:

Glad to hear it's running, can't wait to see it hit the road.

Charlie Chops 1940

Rudy...that was the first and last time for me. Seeing how everyone else on here is never wrong, or stupid.

Thanks for the convenient out - they been roasting me.

Charlie

A Hooligan!