700r4 Throttle Cable Adjustment

Started by Melitta, June 23, 2006, 11:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melitta

Can anyone tell me (in layman's terms) how to adjust the throttle valve cable on a 700r4?  We had to replace ours and we can't seem to get it right.  We replaced the original cable with one from Auto Zone.  The vehicle is a 1990 Suburban with a 350, 2 wheel drive.  We know it is the cable, not the transmission.  Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Melitta"Can anyone tell me (in layman's terms) how to adjust the throttle valve cable on a 700r4?  We had to replace ours and we can't seem to get it right.  We replaced the original cable with one from Auto Zone.  The vehicle is a 1990 Suburban with a 350, 2 wheel drive.  We know it is the cable, not the transmission.  Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out (  THIS PAGE  ) on my site and you should be good to go.

c ya, Sum

Melitta

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Melitta"Can anyone tell me (in layman's terms) how to adjust the throttle valve cable on a 700r4?  We had to replace ours and we can't seem to get it right.  We replaced the original cable with one from Auto Zone.  The vehicle is a 1990 Suburban with a 350, 2 wheel drive.  We know it is the cable, not the transmission.  Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out (  THIS PAGE  ) on my site and you should be good to go.

c ya, Sum

:lol:  I have checked out your site, that is how I found out about this forum.  I have studied it and printed it and anything else you can think of.  The measurement of the 3/16" or 0.19 in. is killing me.  We don't have a measuring tape that has that measurement on it.  We keep guessing and it just isn't working.  I have heard somewhere that there shouldn't be any slack in the cable, but when we do that the shifting is horrible.  The only thing we can think of that is causing our problems, is maybe this is a longer cable than the original...but even then that really shouldn't make a difference should it, since it is adjustable?  We had no problems with the tranny until we had to replace this cable.  Blah!  This is so frustrating.  We aren't morons, yet this cable is making us look like it.

1FATGMC

You use that measurement to determine the mounting distance of the adjustable part of the TV cable, plus the length of the exposed cable when it is pulled out in step 1 of those instructions.  So if you are using a cable with a different  extended length than the one that was in there you need to change the position of where the TV cable mounts on the manifold if that is where you have it mounted.

The 3/16 inch makes it so that the cable is not bottomed out and can be adjusted both ways to begin with.

Once the cable is set up you need to move it a click at a time in one direction or the other to the point it will back shift into 1st right after the 1-2 shift.  Re-read that part to better understand it.

c ya, Sum

Melitta

Quote from: "1FATGMC"You use that measurement to determine the mounting distance of the adjustable part of the TV cable, plus the length of the exposed cable when it is pulled out in step 1 of those instructions.  So if you are using a cable with a different  extended length than the one that was in there you need to change the position of where the TV cable mounts on the manifold if that is where you have it mounted.

The 3/16 inch makes it so that the cable is not bottomed out and can be adjusted both ways to begin with.

Once the cable is set up you need to move it a click at a time in one direction or the other to the point it will back shift into 1st right after the 1-2 shift.  Re-read that part to better understand it.

c ya, Sum

OK, I see now that we are on the right track.  We were getting discouraged because we couldn't get it too adjust right.  It was making us think that we were doing something wrong and we started second guessing ourselves.  If it is any indication, by the way it is shifting now, we just need a few more clicks and we should be good.  Thank you for all your help and your site was (and I am sure it will be again) a great deal of help!  It was your site that brought it to our attention that the throttle cable is what was wrong in the first place and not the transmission going out.  So, Thank You twice!