Seemks like its always something............................

Started by Dave, April 03, 2004, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well after doing the vaccum gauge carb tuning deal today I found out the rear axle seals were leaking. Both sides? I pulled it apart went and bought new seals screwed one up went for more seals then put it back together. Near as i can tell the rearend is about a 1967. I had new seals that michael gave me when I picked up the car in June. I cant understand why both would leak. They are no fun to install. My 8 inch was easier. This time i used permatex on the out side of the seals and greased the lips good. One axle has some nice grooves in it from the factory but i guess they didnt figure it was a big deal. I also put some silicone sealer around the outer bearing diameter on the housing before putting the axles back in. I remember I had an 8 inch I couldnt seal and the bearings are sealed so I tried that trick and it worked. I wonder whats next ? This is fun I think. Ha I remember 4 years of the 34 I just got it where i wanted it and this guy offers me big money and ..............LOL.
Dave :?

enjenjo

Some of the axle bearings for an 8" have an O ring groove on the od, just for that reason. Some of the later rears had no seperate seal, and just used the sealed axle bearing to control the grease.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Scrap Fe

Make sure you vent is working properly before you replace the seals.