Rust Bullet users opinions wanted, please.

Started by 48builder, June 19, 2006, 12:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'm getting close to putting some protective coatings on this dumb car, nad here's what I am thinking. I would like for you guys that have used Rust Bullet to let me know what you think.

On the inside of the body and fenders, I was thinking I would just wire wheel everything and then paint it. I am considering buying a cheap spray gun to do it, or maybe a small roller. My concern with the gun is getting it cleaned, and the possibility of getting it all over the place. Plus I assume I would have more waste that way as well.

I'm considering using RB on the frame as the final finish, or maybe top-coating it. Since there is very little of the frame exposed, a perfect finish is not real important, but I do want it to look nice. I was going to paint the frame with a hardened enamel in an industrial gray color anyway, so I'm thinking maybe just use RB and be done with it.  I am thinking I may want to use a small amount of body filler on a couple spots, but I'm not sure if RB will go over it OK, or if the filler will go over the RB. Any experience with RB and filler?

Also thinking of using it on the rear-end and control arms. Would it work for that?

Thanks In Advance,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "48builder"I'm getting close to putting some protective coatings on this dumb car, nad here's what I am thinking. I would like for you guys that have used Rust Bullet to let me know what you think.

On the inside of the body and fenders, I was thinking I would just wire wheel everything and then paint it. I am considering buying a cheap spray gun to do it, or maybe a small roller. My concern with the gun is getting it cleaned, and the possibility of getting it all over the place. Plus I assume I would have more waste that way as well.

I'm considering using RB on the frame as the final finish, or maybe top-coating it. Since there is very little of the frame exposed, a perfect finish is not real important, but I do want it to look nice. I was going to paint the frame with a hardened enamel in an industrial gray color anyway, so I'm thinking maybe just use RB and be done with it.  I am thinking I may want to use a small amount of body filler on a couple spots, but I'm not sure if RB will go over it OK, or if the filler will go over the RB. Any experience with RB and filler?

Also thinking of using it on the rear-end and control arms. Would it work for that?

Thanks In Advance,

Walt

I sprayed the bottom of my 54 with rust bullet.  Great product and I have used it for other things as well.  If you spray it, keep in mind that it will adhere to most anything including your glasses, your flesh, your clothes and about anything that it lands on.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

BFS57

Hello;
I haven't used rust Bullet but I have used Por-15! I had a door I'm replacing on my Chevrolet bead blasted and I coated the back side and inside of the door with Por-15 using a cheap paint brush. The results were super to say the least. Everyone I have showed the door to can't believe I painted it with a brush. When that stuff dried it was hard as Hell!! No way is that coming off!
I used some in the car in the trunk floor and had the very same results!
I think the Rust Bullet doesn't need the same kind of prep but the results I got if either of these two products work the results are worth the effort!
Just be careful if this stuff gets on you, it's murder to get off!!
Bruce

enjenjo

The best way to use filler with rust bullet, is rust bullet first, then filler, then more rust bullet. I love Rust Bullet, use it on evrything now. I usually brush it, less mess.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

DRD57

I've used POR15 and Rust Bullet. Both are good but I much prefer the Rust Bullet.

I did some unscientific destructive testing on some RB coated pieces and it is one of the toughest coatings I've ever used. It's even more durable that powdercoating.

Body filler works well over the RB but you have to scuff some tooth into it for the filler to make a mechanical adhesive bond.

I've always topcoated it as I'm not too fond of the "spray can chrome" look

river1

i also give a thumbs up to rust bullet.

amazon sells rust bullet in a VERY convenient six pack.

helps keep it fresh tho if you live in a rusty area of the country you might not have that worry.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ORKSY/002-9233303-8114447?v=glance&n=228013

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

Where do I fing more info on Rust Bullet?I have used POR15 and Eastwoods Rust encapsulator. This is new to me.
TEAM SMART

DRD57

Quote from: "kb426"Where do I fing more info on Rust Bullet?I have used POR15 and Eastwoods Rust encapsulator. This is new to me.

www.rustbullet.com

the seawater fog test is my favorite

48builder

OK, so any idea how much it would take to do the intoerior of my sedan? I would think a quart should do it. I'm trying to figure out which package to buy.

And, it should be fine for the differential I guess. I'll just degrease it good and wire wheel it.

Thanks for the advice.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

DRD57

Quote from: "48builder"OK, so any idea how much it would take to do the intoerior of my sedan? I would think a quart should do it. I'm trying to figure out which package to buy.

And, it should be fine for the differential I guess. I'll just degrease it good and wire wheel it.

Thanks for the advice.

How much of the interior are we talking about? The ceiling? Inside the doors? Trunk area?

It takes two coats to give complete protection.

2rods

What's the diff between Rust bullet and the automotive one?

enjenjo

The silver can has more solids than the gold cans.

2rods

enjenjo