shop pictures

Started by Glen, June 18, 2006, 11:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

have you guys seen this yet?  I have been posting updates on the hamb

25x30 , Air conditioned, 3 phase power, cable tv, phone, fridge, ceiling fans etc.

donsrods

Gonna make you a really nice shop. With all the creature comforts you won't want to go home. :D  :D  :D  :D

Don

GPster

To me that's a unique design for the trusses. What is the name of the design and what are their purpose? GPster

enjenjo

Looks good.  It's not big enough though. :D
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

Quote from: "GPster"To me that's a unique design for the trusses. What is the name of the design and what are their purpose? GPster

They are called a scissor truss, I wanted as much ceiling space as possible, but I had to keep the building height under 16 to meet code. The recessed area down the center will have two ceiling fans, an air hose reel and power supply reel.

alchevy

Ok, I'm jealous of your flat land that you had to build on. The spot I have picked out for my future shop is down a hill and I need to come up with a way to not let it flood because all of the rain water runs through my backyard towards that way. I think these days the most pricey element in building a shop is the concrete.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "40chevy"The spot I have picked out for my future shop is down a hill

I did not know there was a down hill in Mississippi.  So far as I can tell it is mostly flat.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

Where I live, Fulton County Ohio, we have one hill in the whole county, over 500  square miles. It's about 40 ft high.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sal37

Quote from: "enjenjo"Looks good.  It's not big enough though. :D

Think Confucius said some thing along the lines of.... man who builds shed/shop will never be happy with the size... generally this observation only occurs after all the machinery and rusty old car parts fill the place up!! :lol:  :lol:

Steve

phat rat

My shop is 32x36 and it was too small soon after it was done. The bright side, if you can call it that, is it limits how much you can store. This generally is applied to other peoples things. LOL
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

1FATGMC

Hey Glen that looks nice.  You still live in the same location where I visited long time ago.  Maybe we will get down there for Goodguys this year if lucky.

I can't tell from the picture, but do you have 220 outlets around there also?  I would have one in the middle of each wall for a mig so you don't have to use a longer ext. cord.  Also think where you might want a lathe and or mill and put one at each of those places.  Getting a mill and lathe is like getting a welder.  You wondered how you lived without them before.

Are the walls 6 inch.  Looks like you have insulation board on the outside.  You are going to put fiberglass in the walls aren't you?

I do have to disagree with the saying "your shop can never be too large".  I'm really happy with the size of mine for working space and for ease of heating and cooling.  It is 27 X 41.  I wouldn't want it any bigger.  I also have a separate part that is 13 X 32 that I can use as a paint booth and where I normally park 1FATGMC.  I agree having lots of storage is good, but having 2-3 good size bays that are heated/cooled and well lighted is adequate for most of us.

The other thing I finally got and love is a 2 post lift.

c ya, Sum

Glen

Sum, there are 4 3 phase outlets in the ceiling (mill/lathe/bandsaw)
There 6 220 outlets.
There are 4 110 outlets on each wall.  (the east wall has 4 plug outlets too)
and one 110 outlet in the ceiling for a power cord reel.
one 110 outlet near the ceiling for the tv/cable/dvd/satellite radio.
two outside 110 outlet on the wall for the weedeater etc.
two coach lights over the garage door on timers and dimmers
two low light fixtures on the east wall down low on the grass, on timers and dimmers.
two ceiling fans in the center
10 8ft. shop lights in the ceiling (see the blue boxes in the trusses)

Yes we are still in the same house.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Glen"Sum, there are 4 3 phase outlets in the ceiling (mill/lathe/bandsaw)
There 6 220 outlets.
There are 4 110 outlets on each wall.  (the east wall has 4 plug outlets too)
and one 110 outlet in the ceiling for a power cord reel.
one 110 outlet near the ceiling for the tv/cable/dvd/satellite radio.
two outside 110 outlet on the wall for the weedeater etc.
two coach lights over the garage door on timers and dimmers
two low light fixtures on the east wall down low on the grass, on timers and dimmers.
two ceiling fans in the center
10 8ft. shop lights in the ceiling (see the blue boxes in the trusses)

Yes we are still in the same house.

Wow :!:  :!:   I think they are going to have to add another generator at Hoover Dam :D .

Ok you probably have this covered, but I would make sure all the 110 outlets are doubles and I would have double 110's on each side of the garage door and walk in door.  All the wall ones get covered up with junk and you can't get to them.  Ask me how I know :cry: .

Take out the one for the "tv/cable/dvd/satellite radio", this is a garage not an entertainment center :wink: .  You are suppose to be getting work done not watching TV.  The radio can stay 8) .

One last thing I put outlets (110 and a 220) on the front of my workbench.  Sure makes it easy to plug in drills, soldering iron, welder, etc. when working at the bench and not have these on extension cords or hanging over the bench and plugged in behind it.

So what will be the first project to take shape in the new shop?

c ya, Sum

Glen

I have this in the works.....I have put it on hold during the build of the shop
Shovelhead, spool front wheel, jockey shift, kick start.

alchevy

Quote from: "Bib_OverallsI did not know there was a down hill in Mississippi.  So far as I can tell it is mostly flat.[/quote

You have to come to the central part of the state to get to the hills. My backyard goes back flat on the section the house is on about 100'; off to the left back there, it goes uphill to another section; off to the right, it goes downhill to where I'm planning for the future shop. Trying to figure out how wet the grass is going to be at times when I want the car out and I have to climb the hill to get to the driveway. Also, have to plan when I drive down the hill to the shop that the car gets back level before it enters the building. Today I also thought about how to get a truck & trailer back there if I'm taking the car to the paint shop or something. Lots of things to consider. Thought about having a garage door on each end where I could drive through and come out the other end.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com