adapting VW disc brakes to early Ford spindles ?

Started by zzford, June 18, 2006, 07:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzford

Anyone here ever adapt VW type III disc brakes to early Ford (1947) spindles. Seems that I vaguely recall  kits to do this in the late 60's or 70's. Anyone got any info or ideas?

phat46

My brother did that on his  '34 P.U. on an after market tube axle. I don't know what spindles. I'll have to ask him what spindles he used and what he did to adapt the V.W. disks to it.

donsrods

Yeah, this swap was popular at one time. Somewhere in my magazine collection is an article on doing the swap.  If no one on here can provide the info, I'll dig through them some night and try to find you the article.

It won't happen real quick, because we are in the process of moving our residence for probably the next 2 weeks or so, but if you can wait I'll be happy to do it for you. I think it is in an old Rod and Custom, so that should narrow it down to about 10,000 magazines.  
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Don

enjenjo

As I recall, it involved turning the Ford spindles to VW bearing sizes and spacing, and a fabricated caliper adapter.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

donsrods

river1

Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

donsrods

Thanks, I have that one somewhere, and like I said, I'll dig it out in a couple of weeks, when we get settled in.

That will speed up the search, though.

Don

river1

Quote from: "donsrods"That will speed up the search, though.

Don

that's what i figured. my collection doesn't go back that far but before i found that site it would take me hours to find what i knew was there.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

zzford

phat46

I finally got ahold of my brother in Alabama tonight. He told me that the V.W. brakes on his '34 are from a kit he bought back in '81 from Superbell Axle co. The kit uses Karman ghia rotors and calipers. Ptobably not much help for what you're doing. He also said he has noted how similar the brakes from a Toyota pickup from the mid to late '70s are to what he has. the toyo rotors are tophat design so he figures a little machining would have them on the hub and he said the calipers look nearly identical to the V.W.'s

zzford

That is exactly what I'm interested in. The Type III and Ghia are interchangable. Thank you.