I feel as though I have given BIRTH! IT'S ALIVE!!

Started by SKR8PN, June 01, 2006, 10:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKR8PN

I fired the new 470 cu in heart(engine) today for the very first time
This is as close as a man can ever get to childbirth :lol:
Gawd I wish I had a way to record and post a sound clip for you guys.
6 months of blood, money, sweat, money, cussing, money, more cussing, engineering, money, untold machine shop hours, last minute cussing, even more money,and a few prayers to the horsepower god,but by golly IT IS ALIVE!!!
Holy crap does it ever sound FAN-TASTIC!!
What a relief and a thrill all at the same time .We are going to TRY to get all the little loose ends tiddied up so we can get it to the track NEXT weekend,IF it doesn't rain! If this engine runs HALF as good as it sounds,I am prolly gonna need to wear a diaper the very first time I pull the trigger on it :lol:  :lol:

For you gear heads:
This engine is a .030 over 400 low deck MOPAR #032 block(4.370 bore)with a 440 crank,rod journals were offset ground to get a 3.90 inch stroke. The mains and the counter weights were machined down to fit it in the block. Rods are 6.385 long Eagle "H" beams with small block chevy journal size on the big end,and fitted with .990 pins,pistons are J&E that I had ceramic coated, and have +7cc domes, and were installed at zero deck height(block was decked .023 heads were cut .015 to get a 12.5:1 compression ratio. The entire rotating assembly was zero balanced.
Cylinder heads are aluminum MOPAR PERFORMANCE Stage VI's ported to Max Wedge port dimensions,with 2.19 dia. Ferrea intake valves,and 1.81 Ferrea sodium filled exhaust valves. Heads were sent to Porter racing to touch up the porting work,and now flow just over 320cfm @ 600 lift on the intake and over 250 cfm on the exhaust side. Head gaskets are custom built MLS pieces that are .035 thick,which is also how much quench I have :shock: Camshaft is a custom grind Comp roller cam with .705 lift on the intake and .695 lift on the exhaust. Intake duration is 285 degrees and exhaust is 292 degrees,and the cam is ground on a 110 centerline, I installed it @108.5 to help build a bit more cylinder pressure. Lifters are solid roller Comps. Pushrods are custom built Smith Bros. 7/16 x 8.20 long .120 wall thickness. Valve springs are Comp Cams triples with 335 lbs on the seat and over 885 lbs open pressure :shock: installed at 2.00 inches with Comps titanium retainers and Super7 keepers. An Australian Performance Parts timing BELT setup drives the camshaft and a Meziere electric water pump was used to keep the engine temp down to a more tolerable level. A custom ATI damper was used.  An Indy 440-2 intake was also cut .032 on both mating surfaces,was port matched to the heads, and has a custom built PRO SYSTEMS 1000 cfm,4150 series Holley carb on it. Transmission is a 727 of my own design and build,and has an A&A rear band apply,trans brake valve body,billet steel front drum,and a bolt in SuperSprag , steel reinforced planetaries,lightened sun shell,relocated vent, plus numerous oiling modifications to insure deadly consistent,very hard hitting launches and shifts as well as long life(hopefully that means no explosions:shock:  ) Torque converter is an older 8 inch,5000 rpm stall Dynamic that I sent to PTC, and had updated with a steel sprag (for the trans brake) and I also had them tighten it up a bit to help with top end mph. I will be thrilled to death if I can get a 9 second 145 mph time slip first time out :shock: Did I mention this is on DOT tires and full exhaust?? :shock:  I seriously hope the mph stays UNDER 150......anything over that and NHRA requires you to install a parachute and I don't wanna have to put one on it   :lol:   www.picturetrail.com/SKR8PN  I will be updating pictures in the next day or so,but there is still a lot of photo's there to look at!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

phat46

Geeze Loiuse.... :shock:   Gotta get us video of the thing at the track!

Mikej

Nothing better than the sound of a well built Mopar. Have fun in your diaper :oops:

jaybee

Wow, that's sounds like a whole bunch of fun!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Scrap Fe

That has to be pushing a "10" on the Pucker Factor.

kb426

Good specs on the engine. How tight you gonna turn it?
TEAM SMART

Beep

:evil: Hmmm, sounds like good power. But did you notice that everything listed had someone elses name on it. I miss the good old days where maybe the cam, the intake and mag had anothers name. Maybe not.  Everything else had your name on it becuase you built it.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "kb426"Good specs on the engine. How tight you gonna turn it?

Staging rpm will start out around 3000 till I get used to leaving with a transbrake instead of the footbrake. :shock:
Shift points will be determined once I see what this engine/trans combo "likes" as far as temps and such.  
Gonna TRY to keep it around 7 grand thru the traps. :shock:  Rear gearing is 4:56.1 and the tires are 31-12:50x15
This should prove to be a fun little ride on the street  :twisted:

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "SKR8PN"

"fun" is an understatement. 8)

better Simonize the passenger seat. :shock:  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

kb426

According to my calculator, that will be 143 mph at 7 grand.
TEAM SMART

Jim....Sounds like you have a pretty fun Summer planned!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

SKR8PN

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "SKR8PN"

"fun" is an understatement. 8)

better Simonize the passenger seat. :shock:  :shock:

Vance

On Willy's very first ride in the car,when I stood on it,all you could see was hands and elbows grabbing rollcage :lol:  :lol: When we got back to the house and I shut it off,her only words were
"Well.....that certainly is FUN! Can we do that AGAIN??" :shock:  :lol:
And that was with the MILD engine :D  

Wait till she sees what THIS engine is capable of...... :lol:

SKR8PN

Quote from: "kb426"According to my calculator, that will be 143 mph at 7 grand.

Ya......mine to.  But that is getting pretty close to the limits and it doesn't leave much "fudge factor"
I just hope it DOES trap around 7 grand or less........ 8)

Dirk35

Congrats!

Whats the story on your pick-up? I didnt see picts of it on your web page.

SKR8PN

Quote from: "Dirk35"Congrats!

Whats the story on your pick-up? I didnt see picts of it on your web page.

Long sad expensive body shop story,but in a nutshell...........
After working on it for over 6 years,
I got really tired and disgusted trying to get it finished(body and paint work+interior) and I traded it off for this Daytona.