L.E.D. 37-39 tail lights

Started by EMSjunkie, May 30, 2006, 05:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

Anybody running them?

I'm thinking about getting some for my Coupe.

pros..........cons..........good experiences, bad experiences.

any info would be appreciated

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Uncle Bob

There're two choices I'm aware of, the lenses assy only, and same with a nicely shaped polished aluminum bezel.  The lense assy loses the rounded (profile) shape of the original lense, it's a bit squared off looking though it has an eased edge.  The lense is also more transparent so the LEDs are very visible.  They are much brighter, which is good for such a small light.  I replaced the flashers at the same time for ones rated to work with the LED draw.  Others may have tried using "normal" one's and had success, but I took the recomendation to change at face value.

Whether or not to get the nicely shaped bezel that can come with these will depend on your taste and current setup if you're looking to retrofit.  The bezel is bigger than the stock, moreso in length than width, and requires drilling additional holes in the light housing if you retain that.  If you've frenched the stock style lights, and have the opening just slightly larger than the stock bezel, then the new machined one's probably won't fit.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Anybody running them?

I'm thinking about getting some for my Coupe.

pros..........cons..........good experiences, bad experiences.

any info would be appreciated

Vance

There is a company in Indiana named Technostalgia (www.cool-LEDS.com) that recently came out with LED assemblies for 38-39 Ford, 41-48 Chevy, 40 Chevy, 40 Ford and 46 Ford. I bought a set for my 40 Chevy and they are very nice. The lens looks real good, the SS bezel is very nice and they are bright. They're a hundered bucks but the first 40 Chevy taillight I've ever seen that can be seen. I suspect the teardrops are the same.

I ordered them over the phone and am very happy.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

richard 36dodge

This is not directed to the '39 tail lights, but to LEDs in general. If you have a cruise control check to see if it still works after you install the LED tail lights. Mine would no longer work with them. The cruise control uses the brake light bulb to tell when you are using your brakes and will shut off. With the LEDs it thinks your brakes lights are on all the time and won't work. I think superbrightLEDS.com  has a resistor that will let you use LEDs with cruise control.
Any body had the same problem ?
Thanks,  Rick Harris.

EMSjunkie

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. :D  8)

I'm kinda leanin' towards the ones Speedway has.
but my options are open. that's why I asked here before I bought any.

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Charlie Chops 1940

I want to add that I didn't have to change the flasher unit as I have normal bulbs in the front turn signals. They work fine.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I want to add that I didn't have to change the flasher unit as I have normal bulbs in the front turn signals. They work fine.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, that was gonna be my next question, 'cuz I have regular bulbs in the front.

you musta read my mind.  :shock:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

alchevy

I just bought a set of those LED taillights that Charlie mentioned while up at Springfield. I read about them in Street Rodder magazine a few issues ago. They look real nice. I was going to install them right at the car show, but needed a drill because they did not match the stock bolt holes. They do look real nice. The SS bezel is great! Those are hard to find for '40 Chevy taillights. I bought mine from the Wheels of Time booth out of Philadelphia, MS. Here's their site: http://www.wheels-of-time.com/
Phone number is (601) 389-5880.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Okiedokie

I recently bought the leds that United Pacific sells for my 46 Ford. OUTSTANDING! Everyone that was behind me on the road to Springfield commented on their brightness. I had one of the conversion leds before, expensive and not very effective. Love these UP units[sealed lens/leds with pigtail to socket] for $25 each.  Wish they made them for the 35 lites I have on my 53 F100. I do have a pair of the complete units [light, bucket,bezel] for my 40. Don't know who makes these but have seen them on several cars, they are not UP. Very brite also, about $100 pair.  40 is not on the road yet, so no comments from behind. Joe

BFS57

Hello;
I installed a pair of those (sealed w/led lamps) In my 57 chevy. All I did, was install a "no load" Flasher in the car and wa la! Perfect! I have left my headlights on and the draw from the system didn't eat up my battery in 5 hours! Terrific! Love the brightness!!

Bruce

C9

J&P Cycles carries an LED replacement bulb for the common #1157 bulb.

I think they have one for the #1156 as well.

#1157's have staggered pins and #1156's don't.

Price isn't too bad and they look like they would work well in the 39 taillights.

Some LEDS don't show up too well if the taillight is tipped up - or down - so the observer doesn't have a straight on view of it.

Diesel truck supply houses carry a wide assortment of LED lights and bulbs.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Okiedokie

I have tried these also, IMO a waste of money. I am convinced that the value of LEDs for taillights has to include the correct lense, and the relationship of the leds to the lense. I assume that is why the new "one piece" units works so well. I think that the Ron Francis Brite Lites work as well as the led 1157 replacements. Just my opinion. Joe

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"I recently bought the leds that United Pacific sells for my 46 Ford. OUTSTANDING! Everyone that was behind me on the road to Springfield commented on their brightness.   Joe

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the info.

you wouldn't happen to have a web site or phone # do ya?

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

BFS57

Hello;
I too purchased the led bulb that looked like an 1157 too. It didn't work as good as a brighter 1157 lamp! But when I purchased the led/Lens for my 57 Chevy that worked way better. I purchased these while at the Tampa Nats last year from Southern Rods.
While I was walking around inside the vendor building I walked by a vendor selling these LED units. They had a bunch of different ones all on a board "flashing!" Man, I don't have to tell you, it was BLINDING!
Thats when I made up my mind to put a pair on my car!
Bruce

Okiedokie

www.uapac.com   look at their antigue section. Joe