A100's

Started by tomslik, May 29, 2006, 10:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

there's a better than even chance i'm gonna aquire an A100 pu and a really good parts van (told the guy it's both or nothing) and i think i GOTTA build it but as it'sd still in the dream stage, i wanna hear ideas if ya got 'em.....now, obviously "little red wagon" clone would be my 1st choice but affording a blown hemi is gonna be out of the question...
let 'er rip guys!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Years ago there was one here with a chopped top, black with flames, and lowered a lot. Still had the slant six in it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Grandadeo

Seems that Street Rodder built one of those back in the (70s?) There should be a lot of info on their build if you can track down the issues.  Then there was the "Backup Pickup" wheelstander.  Does anyone else remember that one.  I think it was a ford though.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

GPster

I cannot get over the idea of making something like that practical so it can at least be driven. Some of the ideas that I have to make something like that work would include the use of a torqueflite and a transfer case. Mount the engine backwards in the bed  with the  transmission and transfer case sitting under the seats in the cab. Rework the transfer case so that it only deals with one power outlet, the one that was for the front wheels will now be just a driver for the rear end. Make a rear end that would match both the driveshaft rotation and its' position as it comes around the engine. If you wanted to build the engine you would be building with standard rotation parts and the weight of the package would be more between the front and back wheels than for simply a tail heavy wheel stander. GPster

kb426

How much work do you want to do? I looked at Econoline pickups years ago. They have visual appeal but little usefulness. How about a real healthy 6 and maybe a t5 trans and some low gears so it runs ok. I'd lower it some but not enough to be a problem. If it's a play toy, then stick a v8 in it set back some and have at it. Now that I think about the linkage problems with a t5, forget that thought. That could be way more work than it's worth.
TEAM SMART

moparrodder

Tom, that sounds like a cool deal in the works!  I always thought those A100 and econoline Fords were neat looking and would make cool parts chasers.  Even with a slant six you can make a good sleeper for the street, it just takes a little searching but there are some performance parts out there for them.  Also a small block would fit in there nicely too.  There is a guy not too far from me that put a 289 in an econoline and takes it to a lot of local shows and it looks really sharp.  If ya make the deal, keep us posted on the build up!!  

Bill

GPster

One other thing that might want to consider. I'm not sure but I think the lightest duty Econolines were unit bodied creations. I'm not sure if Dodge followed suit but T think the A100 might fall into that questionable realm. I'd hate to do too much hacking to re-position and re-power a creation that didn't have a frame. I'd think the bed would be a major structure support of a uni-bodied truck. GPster

Rrumbler

I had one of those things!! in the early seventies; a short wheelbased van, with a nice, warm 318 in it.  I can't remember if it had a frame or not, but to me, the thing was not the best car I ever had.  It was light, and had traction problems, both rear and front; in rain, it was downright scary, and the broad sides were a sail looking for some wind.  I liked the looks and the idea of it, but that one was spooky.  If I was to build one today, I'd make sure it had some well balanced weight down fairly low, and of course I'd get shed of that straight axle front.  A nice modern hot rod suspension would do a lot for the thing.  Other than that, the door would be wide open for ideas.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Uncle Bob

You're right about the hemi thing.  You could drop $20-25k into a blown engine REALLLLLL easy.

There's been one at Mopars at the Strip the last couple years that is a real knockout.  It's painted two tone, seafoam greeen (well maybe just a bit bluer than that) and white.  Interior is done in a hot roddy pattern in similar colors, a set of torque thrust D's, and a small block Mopar (273, 318, 340, 360).  Very, very clean.  Always an eye catcher, and not often seen.  Maybe one of the SoCal folks is familiar with it.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "GPster"..... Mount the engine backwards in the bed  with the  transmission and transfer case sitting under the seats in the cab.. GPster

Did any of you see that neat little truck with the blown flathead mounted backwards where the bed would be.  They said that it had a shortened rearend mounted ahead of it (like you said Joe).  Then there was chain drive back on both sides to the rear wheels.  There was only one picture, so you couldn't see how exactly they did all of this.

I just got the mag. recently, but couldn't find it to post a picture.  The one picture was taken at a car show.

I would love to do something different like this with the '39 Ford cab I have, but haven't got the details worked out yet.  It would not be chain driven though.

Sorry to jump into your post Tony :wink: ,

Sum

P.S. If I find the mag. I'll post a picture.

tomslik

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "GPster"..... Mount the engine backwards in the bed  with the  transmission and transfer case sitting under the seats in the cab.. GPster

Did any of you see that neat little truck with the blown flathead mounted backwards where the bed would be.  They said that it had a shortened rearend mounted ahead of it (like you said Joe).  Then there was chain drive back on both sides to the rear wheels.  There was only one picture, so you couldn't see how exactly they did all of this.

I just got the mag. recently, but couldn't find it to post a picture.  The one picture was taken at a car show.

I would love to do something different like this with the '39 Ford cab I have, but haven't got the details worked out yet.  It would not be chain driven though.

Sum

you're jumpin' tony's post? :shock:  :oops:

didn't think you were THAT way,sum.....

i got a leftover hood from my COE that'd look pretty good on your ford cab.
i've been toying with the idea for a while now but then THIS came up :wink:

parklane

Saw a A100 a coupla years ago with a healthy small block, and the owner  had built a sub frame for it. You could unbolt the sub, and motor, trans, and rear end could be pulled away from the rest of the unit. Pretty slick.

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"

Sum

Well be that way.  Offer me some candy and then take it away :twisted: ,

Sum

tomslik

Quote from: "tomslik"

Sum

Well be that way.  Offer me some candy and then take it away :twisted: ,

Sum

what, you want the hood?

1FATGMC

Quote from: "tomslik"what, you want the hood?

I was wondering what your idea was :D .

c ya, Sum