GM power steering pump pressure reduction.

Started by richard 36dodge, May 22, 2006, 01:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard 36dodge

Anybody know how to reduce the pressure in a GM power steering pump to work with a Late (1979 up) Mustang rack ? The pump is an early style with the keyway and bolt.  
Thanks, Rick Harris

parklane

Seem to remember Frank (Enjenjo) say that the pressure relief valve from an older Dodge Neon is what you need, and it fits right into the GM pump.

JOhn :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

Actually it's a Omni, or Horizon, but an old K car should work too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

richard 36dodge

Can you buy that valve separate ? or do you have to get the hole pump ?
THANKS !!!
Rick Harris

enjenjo

I generally get them at the salvage yard.

donnie g

:) on a g.m. pump take the large line off the back of the pump,then the valve assembly...on the bypass valve assembly there should be some stainless washers...the LESS WASHERS the more pressure....ie one washer!  my 29 plymouth takes 4 washers ( 5 is the max allowed)
3500 lb car ... try three to start if it is still twitchy on the road go to four
 let me know if you need pics...i'll be back in the shop in the morning! 8)  8)

donnie g

:) on a g.m. pump take the large line off the back of the pump,then the valve assembly...on the bypass valve assembly there should be some stainless washers...the LESS WASHERS the more pressure....ie one washer!  my 29 plymouth takes 4 washers ( 5 is the max allowed)
3500 lb car ... try three to start if it is still twitchy on the road go to four

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "donnie g":) on a g.m. pump take the large line off the back of the pump,then the valve assembly...on the bypass valve assembly there should be some stainless washers...the LESS WASHERS the more pressure....ie one washer!  my 29 plymouth takes 4 washers ( 5 is the max allowed)
I would love some Pictures ! Is the spring on the back of the valve or inside. I have an extra GM pump.  One spring is about 1/2' dia and 2" long and the other spring is inside the valve and I have not taken apart.
My 36 Dodge Coupe  weights 3100 lbs.
Thanks, Rick Harris

Leon

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"Anybody know how to reduce the pressure in a GM power steering pump to work with a Late (1979 up) Mustang rack ? The pump is an early style with the keyway and bolt.  
Thanks, Rick Harris
I thought the Late rack was designed to handle the higher pump pressure.  Is the steering still too sensitive with that rack?  That's what I'm mounting on my 54 Chevy and was hoping that I wouldn't have to mess with it.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"Anybody know how to reduce the pressure in a GM power steering pump to work with a Late (1979 up) Mustang rack ? The pump is an early style with the keyway and bolt.  
Thanks, Rick Harris

What I did for my 84 t-bird rack and a chevy pump was ordered a http://www.borgeson.com/ pressure adjuster and instructions  for about $16.00 + shipping and it worked great. includes washer and some ohter replacement parts. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "Leon"
Thanks, Rick Harris
I thought the Late rack was designed to handle the higher pump pressure.  Is the steering still too sensitive with that rack?  That's what I'm mounting on my 54 Chevy and was hoping that I wouldn't have to mess with it.
I have a rack off a 1988 Mustang and it is too senitive for me. My '36 Dodge weights 3100 lbs. With 1660 lbs on the front wheels,
Rick Harris.

enjenjo

It depends on which late rack you have. The standard rack seems to work well with the GM pump as is. The sports/high performance rack feels twitchy to some people witout reduced pump pressure. The difference ib racks, the standard rack is about 3 turns lock to lock, the performance rack is just over two turns lock to lock.

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "enjenjo"It depends on which late rack you have. The standard rack seems to work well with the GM pump as is. The sports/high performance rack feels twitchy to some people witout reduced pump pressure. The difference ib racks, the standard rack is about 3 turns lock to lock, the performance rack is just over two turns lock to lock.
I have a 3 turn rack off of a 6 cyl '88 Mustang. I just went to the autozone and got a '80 Dodge omni pump. Do I use the valve and spring as well as the pump fitting ? It looks like the fitting has a smaller hole than the stock GM pump.
Thanks, Rick Harris

enjenjo

use the valve and spring, and whichever fitting is right for your application.

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "enjenjo"use the valve and spring, and whichever fitting is right for your application.
So the hole size in the fitting doesn't matter ?  I have the fitting adapted to AN #6.
Thanks, Rick Harris.