TH350 in a 62 Chevy.

Started by Gilles, May 22, 2006, 10:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles

I ask this question for a friend of mine. He wants to replace the powerglide in his 1962 Chevy Impala by a TH350 (the one that was previously in my 32 roadster). I think this swap is not a major problem.

But he wants to keep the column shifter.  He tried to search on the net for a column shifter conversion kit but without success for this year model. Is there something  home-made that can be done to adapt the column shifter? Or a link for a conversion kit?

Thanks in advance,

:) Gilles :)

BFS57

hello;
I am in the midst of a 700r4 kind of linkage problem as well! I used my stock linkage from the collum on my 57 chevy and it works kind of ok. The problem is the stock linkage has a bellcrank, which is worn out. I am looking at a total replacement with a Lcar unit that runs from the collum to the transmission. Cost is about $45.00. Plenty of these on EBAY!
Bruce

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Gilles"I ask this question for a friend of mine. He wants to replace the powerglide in his 1962 Chevy Impala by a TH350 (the one that was previously in my 32 roadster). I think this swap is not a major problem.

But he wants to keep the column shifter.  He tried to search on the net for a column shifter conversion kit but without success for this year model. Is there something  home-made that can be done to adapt the column shifter? Or a link for a conversion kit?

Thanks in advance,

What he has might just work.  When I put the 200R4 in the '78 Buick that had I think a TH250? (not the 350, but a 3 speed auto) I hooked all the linkage us as it was and it shifts through all the gears just fine.  Only problem is the pointer is off in the selector window.  Is that what you are trying to fix?  I my case they sell a 4 speed indicator that goes on the column to fix the problem.  It has been sitting on my bedroom dresser for about 2 years now :cry: .

c ya, Sum

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Gilles"I ask this question for a friend of mine. He wants to replace the powerglide in his 1962 Chevy Impala by a TH350  :)

WHAT!!!!!!

replace a powerglide. :shock:  :shock:

what kinda friend is he. :roll:

who would replace a 'glide with a TH350 :oops:

personally. I like powerglides, however, I realize I am a minority :P

I can't stand all this 'glide repression. :lol:  :lol:

VIVA LA 2 SPEEDS :!:  :!:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Gilles

Thanks for the reply, we'll try with the stock column shifter. What I'm worry about is not enough shifter travel and not be able  to downshift by hand in second and first. In our area there are a lot of mountain roads and we need good engine braking, especially with the drum brakes!

GPster

Just an idea and maybe it will get some responce from someone with more experience or a Hollander book. GM cars after '57 used steering boxes that were separate from the steering column and before '68 when they put the ignition key in the column all the columns seemed mechanically the same.  I've been told that an outside vender supplied the "tilt" columns and they also supplied the "tilt" columns to Chrysler and American Motors. Chevy started using 3 speed automatics before '68 and so did the other GM marks. You could change the column or maybe small pieces in his to get the shift detents you need looking at '58 to '67 parts. I have a problem "Zeroing" in to solve one problem and forgetting another obvious one, the Powerglides used a mechanical passing gear bellcrank that fastened to the flywheel end of the block and I think that the TH350 uses a cable accuated down shift that has a bracket that fastens to the intake manifold. The early manifold and carb may not have a place to easily mount brackets and linkage. These are all solvable problems for a swap that sounds like a good idea to persue. GPster

Gilles

QuoteThe early manifold and carb may not have a place to easily mount brackets and linkage. These are all solvable problems for a swap that sounds like a good idea to persue. GPster

Not a problem as the engine is a 350 with an Edelbrock performer manifold and carb. We'll have to modify the carb bracket to attach the downshift cable.

Gilles :)

alchevy

I used a rod type linkage made by Lokar on my t350 tranny and can't get to the low gears with it. Have a column shift. Sometimes I think about how simple life would be without a column shift because it makes more sense to just come straight up above the tranny with a floor shift. But then again, I have not needed the low gears yet and the GM column was given to me.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Crosley.In.AZ

most folks do not know the PG linkage hook up at the tranny  is way different from the linkage on a t-350 , 250 , 200-4r , 4L60 , 400.

there were kits out there for conversions of this type.  Seems like the Chevelle guys talk of a kit for column shifter.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"most folks do not know the PG linkage hook up at the tranny  is way different from the linkage on a t-350 , 250 , 200-4r , 4L60 , 400.

Yep, I didn't know :cry: .  Just another good reason to ship them to Texas and let Vance have them :D .

c ya, Sum

EMSjunkie

Shoot yea, I'll take 'em.  :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Gilles"I ask this question for a friend of mine. He wants to replace the powerglide in his 1962 Chevy Impala by a TH350 (the one that was previously in my 32 roadster). I think this swap is not a major problem.

Thanks in advance,

a fellow (jakeshoe) on a different  board told me about this site.

http://www.shiftworks.com/

check the web site , should be some [arts to use or point you in the correct direction.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Gilles

Thanks for the link. They list a conversion kit for 62/67 Nova and 64 Impala.  I wonder if one of these could work on th 62 Impala, if yes which one to choose!!

Gilles