GM power steering pump pressure

Started by richard 36dodge, May 20, 2006, 11:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard 36dodge

First I want to say THANK YOU !!! for the advice I got with my many Questions about Mustang  II power steering.  
I just finished up my 36 Dodge power steering. I just got it aligned yester day and now it drives great except it feels like the pump still has too much pressure. I have the front alignment set at caster positive 6.1 degree left and 6.7 degree right. Camber .2 degree left and .3 degree right, and the toe -.1 degree.  The guy that aligned it said the different left and right was for the crown on the road.    
Now for the power steering pump I have a early style GM pump (with keyway and nut) that I have shorten the pressure spring to lower the pressure. I was told by FATMAN FAB cutting a 1/3 off the spring would lower the pressure to 600 to 700 psi and that is what the rack needed.  
Has any body done this ?  Is there a better way ?  
I have seen that Heidt's has an adjustable power steering valve. Has anybody used this and is it worth buying ?  
I love the Speedway Motors # 617-4820 AN  6 Fittings for power steering.
That made it real easy to run the #6 A/C hoses. I just wish I could find an 3/8" inverted flare to a #6 fitting.  
Thanks for your GREAT advice,  
Rick Harris

phat46

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"First I want to say THANK YOU !!! for the advice I got with my many Questions about Mustang  II power steering.  
I just finished up my 36 Dodge power steering. I just got it aligned yester day and now it drives great except it feels like the pump still has too much pressure. I have the front alignment set at caster positive 6.1 degree left and 6.7 degree right. Camber .2 degree left and .3 degree right, and the toe -.1 degree.  The guy that aligned it said the different left and right was for the crown on the road.    
Now for the power steering pump I have a early style GM pump (with keyway and nut) that I have shorten the pressure spring to lower the pressure. I was told by FATMAN FAB cutting a 1/3 off the spring would lower the pressure to 600 to 700 psi and that is what the rack needed.  
Has any body done this ?  Is there a better way ?  
I have seen that Heidt's has an adjustable power steering valve. Has anybody used this and is it worth buying ?  
I love the Speedway Motors # 617-4820 AN  6 Fittings for power steering.
That made it real easy to run the #6 A/C hoses. I just wish I could find an 3/8" inverted flare to a #6 fitting.  
Thanks for your GREAT advice,  
Rick Harris

I used a pressure reducing valve on mine, it's not adjustable though. I bought it so long ago that I can't remember where i got it!  :oops:  It helped quite a bit, but the pressure could still be a little lower, i just got used to it I guess, learned to relax my grip on the wheel a little!  :lol: