Rear main seal

Started by Kctom, March 31, 2004, 10:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kctom

Just when the end is in site, The Hot Rod Gods reach down and slap you in the rear. Was planning on puttig the front sheet metal on the 38. Ran the engine again, rear seal on the chevy started leaking pretty bad. So pulled the engine out today to put a new one in. The engine is a 98 model, so it is not the split type. Had to order it too.  Will be here tomorrow about noon. So will not get the engine back in till fri.
The 750 cfm demon carb is idling real rich. Have the idle screws screwed out only a half a turn and it cleaned up and idles nice. But the book says if less than a full turn out, change to a small idle jet. The timming is giving me a little trouble too. At 8 deg. at idle it is not very smooth. When does the fun start again?
TOM

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Kctom1"Just when the end is in site, The Hot Rod Gods reach down and slap you in the rear. Was planning on puttig the front sheet metal on the 38. Ran the engine again, rear seal on the chevy started leaking pretty bad. So pulled the engine out today to put a new one in. The engine is a 98 model, so it is not the split type. Had to order it too.  Will be here tomorrow about noon. So will not get the engine back in till fri.
TOM
Let us know what you find; I thought the 1-piece rear ain seals were pretty reliable.  I have one of these going together so I am interested in what to be wary of.  My crank has a very slight wear mark; can you get a seal with a different offset?

gt28a

The easiest way to repair a worn seal surface is to get a Speedi-Sleeve. Just measure the crank where the seal runs and then call a bearing shop. I pretty sure there is a Consolidated Bearing Co in Cardiff.... they should have one