I need help on a Chrysler.

Started by Ornberg, May 17, 2006, 12:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornberg

Well, maybe this is kind of off topic in a Hotrod forum but anyway here we go, 8)
The thing is that my regular driver, a Volvo 850 btw, is reaching the end of the line so to speak, and I need to buy another car and I got an offer to buy a brand new 2006 Chrysler Sebring Limited for a very reasonable price. I can buy this car for almost half the price compared to a Volvo V70 that is my second choice.   The car is very well equipped and nice to drive but what are you opinions about the Chrysler? Both pros and cons are welcomed.

Per

BFS57

Hello;
I can say that I have had mixed experiences with Dodge/Chrysler line of vehicles. I owned a '91 Dodge Caravan that really kept on goin and goin! On the other hand, I bought a 2000 Chrysler Concorde. It really was a super nice car but I had several issues with it! The Transmission was the first to go! Lucky for me it was still under warranty! Next, The AC gave me problems! I paid some for repairs but ended up replacing the computer as it was the problem! Chrysler paid for that! Then, I found rust thru on the front of the hood! Lucky for me , again the warranty covered it but I had to fight like hell to get them to get it done in a timely manner! The last straw was the AC compressor! The drive pulley is steel and the compressor is aluminum! I did the J.B. Weld thing, waited a couple days until I knew it was good and dry, pur on the belt again, snugged it up easy, drove it to the dealer and got another car!
Oh, did I forget to mention that the catalatic converter rattled like a bunch of beer cans under the car! Even when you shut the door!
The absolute worst thing was I sold my '67 Ford Galaxie 500 to buy the Chrysler!
On the other hand, I know some people that have had really good experiences with their Chrysler products! It's a Crap Shoot!
My $.02

Bruce

phat46

Quote from: "Ornberg"Well, maybe this is kind of off topic in a Hotrod forum but anyway here we go, 8)
The thing is that my regular driver, a Volvo 850 btw, is reaching the end of the line so to speak, and I need to buy another car and I got an offer to buy a brand new 2006 Chrysler Sebring Limited for a very reasonable price. I can buy this car for almost half the price compared to a Volvo V70 that is my second choice.   The car is very well equipped and nice to drive but what are you opinions about the Chrysler? Both pros and cons are welcomed.

Per
My personal experience with Dodges has been great. The last four vehicles i have bought have all been Dodges with NO major problems. My wifes '97 Stratus is pushing 160 K and still has the original exhaust system. I bought a '92 Conversion van that I still own, it is a good running vehicle. I bought an '02 1500 Pickup and haven't had any problems with it at all. My wife wants to replace her car and she wants another Stratus, which is the same platform as the Sebring.I switched to Dodges after many headaches with G.M.s...don't get me started on them!!! :evil:

58 Yeoman

My girlfriend bought a 98 Chrysler Cirrus w/25,000 miles on it in late 98.  It is near 200,000 miles now, and the most trouble she's had with it is the brakes, but they are working great now.  Everything is still original as far as exhaust, engine, trans, and spark plugs.  Fixed the brakes, replaced a bad front wheel bearing a while back, and the tires.  She's hard on cars; it is about 2000 miles overdue for an oil change.  She's wrecked the front end a couple times, and the only really weird noise is when you open the driver's door; it clicks twice.  I've had the panel off and tried everything...that click will not go away.  Great car for the price.

And...it still runs strong as ever.  2.5 V6.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"My girlfriend bought a 98 Chrysler Cirrus w/25,000 miles on it in late 98.  It is near 200,000 miles now, and the most trouble she's had with it is the brakes, but they are working great now.  Everything is still original as far as exhaust, engine, trans, and spark plugs.  Fixed the brakes, replaced a bad front wheel bearing a while back, and the tires.  She's hard on cars; it is about 2000 miles overdue for an oil change.  She's wrecked the front end a couple times, and the only really weird noise is when you open the driver's door; it clicks twice.  I've had the panel off and tried everything...that click will not go away.  Great car for the price.

And...it still runs strong as ever.  2.5 V6.

The door click is "normal" my wifes Stratus has done it for years...if you notice in parking lots, many of this style car has that click, and the "buzz" when you put it gear, I'll put up with those things for a reliable car

SKR8PN

The "buzz" ,or ratcheting sound,when you put it in gear is the solenoid pack that activates the transmission.
I love my Mopars,but they are known for tranny failures,and A/C problems. Other than those two major issues,they arepretty much bulletproof if you do the maintenance on them........
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

donsrods

I went on to J.D.Powers and Associated website, and pulled up 2006 Sebring Limited, and the results are somewhat lukewarm toward this car. Out of a possible 5 rating (best) it only got to 4 in a couple of catagories, and otherwise, mostly 3's and some 2's.

Is this a good barometer of how good it is?  I don't know, but these are results from answers by actual owners, so it has to have some merit.

Pull it up yourself and see what you think.

That being said, I have owned some cars most people hate, and I loved them, and visa versa.

Don

Uncle Bob

Don, there was a time when I had more confidence in owner opinion surveys than I do today.  My guess is there's an element of expectations that slants people's responses.  What taints my view is some "insider" knowledge (well, really only aware car-guy info).

A few years back Honda realized they'd missed the rapid uptick in the small SUV market.  Recognizing they needed a few years to ramp up they opted for a short term solution in the mean time.  They went to Isuzu and made a deal to rebadge the Rodeo as a Honda vehicle.  Rebadge is a literal term here, these rigs came down the same assembly line in Indiana, the ONLY difference between the Isuzu and the "Honda", were the logos and a few decals.  However, if you read owner surveys there were more differences.  Ta DA..............the Honda version consistently scored better than the Isuzu!  The only logical reason I can fathom to justify that result would be dealer support, as there are far more reliable dealers in the Honda world than for Isuzu.  After that it comes down to the owner's belief that they made a good choice.  Ever notice how some Toyota and Honda owners can almost be tedious in their adoration for the superiority of their choice? :)

That being said, I've had my Dodge 1500 SST truck for 9 years, still like it and have been very happy with it's overall performance.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

donsrods

Yeah, Bob, I didn't say the J.D.P survey was an absolutely flawless vehicle as to whether this is a good car or not.  I was just trying to give him something a little more scientific than just going onto a forum and saying "who likes Chrysler products?" WIth that sort of question all you are going to get are people who have owned one Chrysler product or another over the years, and who have either had great or horrible experiences with it.

At least the J.D.P survey targets that one specific model, and asks owners of that particular car "what do/did you like and dislike about this car?" If his question would have excluded everyone except people who owned Chrysler Sebring Limited cars, the answers on this forum might have been more meaningful.

I also think he is comparing apples and oranges, because he now owns a Volvo, and a new Volvo costs twice as much as the Chrysler. With that sort of difference in price, there are going to be differences in quailty of fit, finish, and performance. During my tenure at the body shop, I got to drive various Volvos, BMW's. etc. and also some Sebrings. I feel there are some real differences in these cars, as would be expected, because of the price.

Now, I know that some people will say that no one builds a better car than this one or that one, but generally, if a car costs more it is because it cost more to build and has better features.

But after all is said and done, I'm sure there were people who thought the Yugo was the best thing since sliced bread. Opinions are like....................................................................... we all know the rest.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Don

Ornberg

Quote from: "donsrods"

I also think he is comparing apples and oranges, because he now owns a Volvo, and a new Volvo costs twice as much as the Chrysler. With that sort of difference in price, there are going to be differences in quailty of fit, finish, and performance. During my tenure at the body shop, I got to drive various Volvos, BMW's. etc. and also some Sebrings. I feel there are some real differences in these cars, as would be expected, because of the price.

Don
Well. That's not the thru really. The original price on the Sebring is a little higher then the Volvo over here. Remember that the Volvo is manufactured here in Sweden so maybe we have to pay less then you guys in the U.S. But this was a "Once in a lifetime deal" as the salesmen put it.
Anyway I liked to thank you for your opinion on this one.

Per

donsrods

But this was a "Once in a lifetime deal" as the salesmen put it.

Oh, Oh !!!  Whenever a Salesman says this, count your fingers after you shake hands. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Just kidding. It might be a terrific car and a terrific deal. Let us know a year from now how it turned out.

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

I love it when a sales person says:" you are losing this deal over $500.00"  when I refuse their 'bottom dollar deal'
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

parklane

Quote from: "Crosley"I love it when a sales person says:" you are losing this deal over $500.00"  when I refuse their 'bottom dollar deal'

Ya, and then ya tell them 'no, you are', and that usually gets their attention.  :wink:

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

river1

Quote from: "parklane"
Quote from: "Crosley"I love it when a sales person says:" you are losing this deal over $500.00"  when I refuse their 'bottom dollar deal'

Ya, and then ya tell them 'no, you are', and that usually gets their attention.  :wink:

John :)

i used that line once for $120 8)  i got their attention and the deal :wink:  :!:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.