O/T..Bike question..

Started by Arnold, May 15, 2006, 08:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Been  out of  bikes  a long time.I  take a peek..now and then..have for a long time.. about some of the hot new super bikes.
  Someone(long time friend of the family..60 years) 85 y/o woman..husband(passed on) serious into cars,son sort of(passed on)..really..I think REALLY! wants me to have this thing sitting in her garage.I said IF I take it..I WILL ride it "properly".BOTH your husband and son will wake up and smile for awhile.
 Said bike is a 1980 Honda 650.
 Anyone out here into bikes? Or know anything about this thing?
 This thing WILL be drag raced for fun.Period.
 I don't mind putting a little money into it.And time.
 Is this thing even capable/or worth the effort? I have NOT the money,time or patience with this thing to go crazy just trying to make this thing work.
 However..if these engines,trans,clutches are basically strong enough..then I don't mind doing some head work,a cam,a pipe,carb and tuning.
  A buddy years ago had an early 1970's 750 Honda..bit of a cam,head work,pipe,carb  and tuning.If these later 650's are even remotely as tough..this is a go.
 I think I read quickly that these have 60 h.p.I am going to need at least 80-90 h.p  to have fun..and some what reliable.Is this do-able and reasonable? Realistic?
 If not Can this entire engine,trans, be removed and another one stuffed in there without giant problems?

Thanks a lot..

Aaron51Chevy

Is this a stock 650?  If so you got some work to make a drag bike out of it.  A 1980 650 wouldn't be my first choice they are a nice quite reliable cruiser.  The early 70 and late 60 bikes were the true muscle bikes (vintage) and the kawasaki H1 or H2 was the 2-stroke king.  A 650 will giddy-up and go and being a honda should have a strong bottom end, but making a drag bike out of it may be a lot of work.  
If it's already built then I'd just go thru the carbs, check the clutch and brakes and clean it and run it.  I've brought back to life old honda's that you'd swear spent their life in the bottom of a pond.
\"It\'s not really yours unless you build it\"

Arnold

Quote from: "Aaron51Chevy"Is this a stock 650?  If so you got some work to make a drag bike out of it.  A 1980 650 wouldn't be my first choice they are a nice quite reliable cruiser.  The early 70 and late 60 bikes were the true muscle bikes (vintage) and the kawasaki H1 or H2 was the 2-stroke king.  A 650 will giddy-up and go and being a honda should have a strong bottom end, but making a drag bike out of it may be a lot of work.  
If it's already built then I'd just go thru the carbs, check the clutch and brakes and clean it and run it.  I've brought back to life old honda's that you'd swear spent their life in the bottom of a pond.

Thanks! for that..Ya..NOT my choice for a drag bike or something to build up.I have zero interest in a cruiser.Where oh where did my Matchless G15 CSR go?..Sold it in 1973.Bored to 787,hi-comp Hepolites,head work,a barely streetable cam,big..I think 34m/36? Amal GP.s,mallory magneto.HAHA..this thing made my 750 Norton seem like a toy.Produced so much power.. and so fast..it would put down rubber between 1st and second before the front wheel would come up.Gotta love those big old Avons.However..considerring the circumstances of me getting this Honda..and not just the price.I think it is a go.This is stock.Thanks for that about that about the bottom end being strong.I also read that the trans was strong too.I did a bit of digging and others say that too.Sounds like head work,cam,pipe,carb and tuning work..and stripping this thing down.

1FATGMC

Going from 60 to 80 or 90 hp is going to be a long ways to go and I would think would cost quite a bit.

I got the 2002 750 Suzuki motor for my lakester for $1200 and could have done better if I would of had more time to look.  It is 125 hp stock and they run in the 10's and the 600 Suzuki's are almost as fast, so that is what you are up against.

It is hard to make decissions when sentimental value comes into play.

It is like getting a free 305 sbc and trying to make a 400 hp motor out of it, when it would be much cheaper and easier to do the same thing with a 350/383 even if you had to pay for the block.

I think I would also get it running and take it for a spin now and then and to the drags just to have fun at first just the way it is and then decide.

What ever you do some of us will be interested in the results, so keep us informed.

c ya, Sum