Rebuilding an automatic tranny

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 12, 2006, 11:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

So , lets say you are a DIY/ hands on type person.  Yer gonna rebuild your own 700 GM trany.

Look at this photo of a pair of used output shafts for a 700 tranny.  I just replaced one of these shafts since one shaft was near failure ( it would break).

Which shaft is near failure?  Would you have seen this?

just a pop quiz for the heck of it.

:arrow:   :wink:  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"So , lets say you are a DIY/ hands on type person.  Yer gonna rebuild your own 700 GM trany.

Look at this photo of a pair of used output shafts for a 700 tranny.  I just replaced one of these shafts since one shaft was near failure ( it would break).

the bottom one is near failure. looks twisted to me :shock:

if i didn't have a good one next to it to compare i prolly would have missed it tho.

i'm i right?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "Crosley"So , lets say you are a DIY/ hands on type person.  Yer gonna rebuild your own 700 GM trany.

the bottom one is near failure. looks twisted to me :shock:

if i didn't have a good one next to it to compare i prolly would have missed it tho.

i'm i right?

later jim

I'm with you Jim, good call.  How is the car coming along?

c ya, Sum

P.S. Tony how about something a little harder like which shaft has been to Hooters :P .

MrMopar64

Hey Tony
Where are you located in Az.
My daughter is in Yuma and just opened a biz there so I'll be out there when she has her "Grand Opening"

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "MrMopar64"Hey Tony
Where are you located in Az.
My daughter is in Yuma and just opened a biz there so I'll be out there when she has her "Grand Opening"

MM64  8)

oh about 180 miles north east of yuma  in gilbert  arizona
Tony

GPster

Is this a trick question? I have to agree with the twisted look but I fave seen oil holes at an angle (but I don't know where) that have a certain scavaging/pressuring effect due to rotation, But there is a stress wrinkle at the top of that oil hole. Ththought you didn't have rust in Arizona? There are definite traces of rust on the top shaft. There is rust on the teeth of the top gear and there is a funny stain around the oil hole to the right of the gear. Is that shaft out of the hurricane Katrina victim? GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"Is this a trick question? I have to agree with the twisted look but I fave seen oil holes at an angle (but I don't know where) that have a certain scavaging/pressuring effect due to rotation, But there is a stress wrinkle at the top of that oil hole. Ththought you didn't have rust in Arizona? There are definite traces of rust on the top shaft. There is rust on the teeth of the top gear and there is a funny stain around the oil hole to the right of the gear. Is that shaft out of the hurricane Katrina victim? GPster

we buy cores from  east area of the country. Usually less money than out here since cars actually last waaaay longer in a dry climate.

China is driving tranny core prices up  THey buy the cores for metal scrap
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "GPster"Is this a trick question? I have to agree with the twisted look but I fave seen oil holes at an angle (but I don't know where) that have a certain scavaging/pressuring effect due to rotation, But there is a stress wrinkle at the top of that oil hole. Ththought you didn't have rust in Arizona? There are definite traces of rust on the top shaft. There is rust on the teeth of the top gear and there is a funny stain around the oil hole to the right of the gear. Is that shaft out of the hurricane Katrina victim? GPster

we buy cores from  east area of the country. Usually less money than out here since cars actually last waaaay longer in a dry climate.

China is driving tranny core prices up  THey buy the cores for metal scrap

yeah, no kiddin'!
95 bucks a ton for car bodies up here...

this WILL be biteing us in the asss....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

I stopped by a buddy's salvage yard the other day, he has a lot of old stuff. The scrap dealers have offered him $150 a ton where it sets. He said no, at least so far.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

docchevy

QuoteChina is driving tranny core prices up  THey buy the cores for metal scrap

Is that like the Asian metal rotors Ford had a few years ago?  The rotors were so soft the brake pads wore a groove in the rotor instead of vice versa!
Remember; Physics explains everything!

tomslik

Quote from: "docchevy"
Quote from: "Crosley"China is driving tranny core prices up  THey buy the cores for metal scrap

Is that like the Asian metal rotors Ford had a few years ago?  The rotors were so soft the brake pads wore a groove in the rotor instead of vice versa!

uh, VW has done THAT for years....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

1FATGMC

So did Jim get the answer right :?  :?: ,

Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "1FATGMC"So did Jim get the answer right :?  :?: ,

Sum

jim?
Tony

1FATGMC

Sum

jim?

Remember???

Quote from: "Crosley"just a pop quiz for the heck of it.

Quote from: "river1"the bottom one is near failure. looks twisted to me :shock...............Am i right?

later jim

Tony I think you are loosing it :wink: .  Maybe from having to work on so many 700R4's 8) .

c ya, Sum

river1

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Sum

jim?

Remember???

Quote from: "Crosley"just a pop quiz for the heck of it.

Quote from: "river1"the bottom one is near failure. looks twisted to me :shock...............Am i right?

later jim

Tony I think you are loosing it :wink: .  Maybe from having to work on so many 700R4's 8) .

c ya, Sum

well at his age memory IS one of many problems :twisted:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.