Spare tire

Started by Leon, May 12, 2006, 02:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Does anyone know where to buy the skinny type spare tires?  I've never been able to close the hatch in my 54 station wagon because the full size spare is too thick for the compartment.  I have a "compact spare" but am changing the bolt pattern from 4 3/4 to 4 1/2 and it won't fit.  I can't find any 15 x 4 wheels other than racing wheels, etc.    I was wondering if maybe a skinny tire from a Volkswagon might work, the load rating isn't much but it would be a temp use tire anyway.  I need something skinny to fit in the spare tire well and that will also fit the teardrop trailer so I don't have to carry two spares.  I don't have room for a thick tire on the teardrop so something that would save me room in the car should fit on the trailer.   The tire I have on the trailer is a bias ply so I don't want to use that size as a spare because of mixing with radials on the car.   Sorry I'm rambling, but when I go to tire company websites they want you to enter the year and model of car to find the tire and none of them go back far enough.  When I talk to a tire dealer they don't want to say anything because their computer doesn't have a tire listed and they don't want the responsibility of recommending anything.

Scrap Fe

Try a salvage yard.  Several of the small spare tires I've had the wheels have a dual bolt pattern.

GPster

I understand the dual spare delema I had it with mu Model "A" and I haven't figured a way around it yet for the Jeepster. The dual pattern spares that I've seen have been 4 3/4" or 5" bolt circle as they seem to be for GM cars or trucks and the have 16" tires. A few of the other "full size" spares have also been 16". As a matter of fact the one Ford 4 1/2" spare that I have laying around is 16". One other thing you had better watch is that a lot of the spare tires you find in the junkyard have negative off-set because they are to be used on front-wheel-drive cars. What I did for the Model "A" was used a colapsable spare from a Gramline and had a plate machined for both bolt patterns and the center of the center of the wheel was cut out and the plate was welded in. Or find a spare you can use from a FWD car and start going to some swap meets. The negative off-sets will allow you to run adapters and someone cleaning his garage may find himself with only one of the size you need. With the tire size being the problem in the floor of your trunk you should be able to findroom to keep these adapters in there

kb426

If you go to Tirerack.com or Discounttire.com, choose "shop by tire size". Discount tire has free shipping.
TEAM SMART

MrMopar64

Get ahold of Hank @ Performance Plus in Long Beach Ca. 562 988 0211 or 888 926 2689
Hank is the owner.... if he is not in ask for Glenn which is his brother
Tell him what you need and he should be able to set you up....
I've been dealing with him for over 30yrs now

BTW...... here is his web site http://www.performanceplustire.com/

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol: