Reality Check

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, May 11, 2006, 04:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

As some of you may recall I had some difficulty with the 700R4 in my '40 Chevy spewing ATF while in Wyoming last summer. I recently got the tranny looked at and a few very minor things in an otherwise "looks new inside" tranny repaired.

Also added a Corvette Governor and a new 1600 stall convertor (my tranny guy suspected a lockup clutch problem in the original 2000 stall unit). Long story short, the tranny worked much better in terms of driveabilty but after a 15/20 mile road test I found it was still pumping fluid out in 4th. The lockup feature worked correctly and their was no evidence that the fluid was coming out of the vennt as we had suspected last summer.

Inspection found fluid on the passenger side of the frame and  tranny and  the trunk and rear bumper. I found some slight evidence of leakage around the tranny cooler fittings but more around the 4th gear pressure port where the lockup switch is located.

I decided I would go on a leak prevention campaign and started with the pressure switch area. When I installed it 3 years ago I used a brass reducer supplied with the tranny (from whatever the hole size is to 1/8" NPT) and a 90 degree elbow  to screw the switch into for vertical positioning since the k-member was too close to allow the switch to point  horizontally.

I removed the switch and the elbow. The reducer however chose to snap off flush with the case. The 3/8" or so of the reducer left in the tranny case is too small to thread a 1/8" NPT fitting into.

Options: 1) Open up the threads with a tap enough to get a fitting into.

2) Use an easy-out to remove the broken off piece.

3) Scrap the 700R4 and go for a 6-speed hand grinder.....

I think the former is less risk as I could use a q-tip with grease on it to pick out any small brass debris. The second I think is riskier for causing damage difficult to seal again. The latter - expensive.

Any suggestions or confirmation or the depth of doo-doo from the more learned than I?

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Boy Charlie if it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all regarding this trans. Sounds like me with the 396. There's always the handgrinder in waiting for the 32
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Scrap Fe

3) Scrap the 700R4 and go for a 6-speed hand grinder.....

Charlie,

I opted for option # 3 when I was trying to decide on a transmission several years ago.  I did some research on transmissions including several posts here on the RRT.  Most of the transmission questions or problems I found were related to the 700R4.  Since I wanted an overdrive, the other option was a Gear Vendors behind a Turbo 400 and that was more expensive than the 6-speed.  

I learned to drive on a hand grinder and had mucho fun with 4-speeds in my younger days and I also wanted a stout motor (which I did get) I went for the 6-speed hand grinder hopefully to relive the good times I had in the 60's.

Ask Crosley what % of the questions (problems) he answers are related to the 700R4.  I suspect the percentage is quite high.

Not to knock automatic transmissions, but I have 4 other vehicles I can drive that have an automatic.  I wanted my hot rod to be different.

phat rat

Rick, the flip side of the coin is we bought our trannies from the same place and I haven't had any problems, looks as though Charlie got the lemon. Also keep in mind  that I'm running mine behind a 425hp BBC. Don't think that I'm particularly easy on it either, I hammered it hard last fall on Ego-Rama and don't drive it like an old lady other times either
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"Here is the tool you need  http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=14281&group_ID=1262&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog that will get it out, and you only need about 3/4" of room.

yup i had a similar problem and frank recommended the same tool.

it work's GREAT!!

i went ahead and bought the whole kit and it has helped me out of a couple of jams already.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "enjenjo"Here is the tool you need  http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=14281&group_ID=1262&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog that will get it out, and you only need about 3/4" of room.

Well, it's worth a try. I'll see if our local Snapon guy has a set. Looks like a set I oughta have in any event.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

it is best to not use a switch on the outside of the trans since it can leak
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Crosley"it is best to not use a switch on the outside of the trans since it can leak

That thought has occured to me too, however I have not found another solution. Admittedly I blindly used the solution provided by the transmission supplier. I would gladly seal that hole.

Can you tell me/us how to do it another way, or a vendor who sells another solution for the lock-up fumction?

Thanks,

Charlie

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

QuoteCan you tell me/us how to do it another way, or a vendor who sells another solution for the lock-up fumction?

Look here  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p2.html
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "enjenjo"
QuoteCan you tell me/us how to do it another way, or a vendor who sells another solution for the lock-up fumction?

Look here  http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p2.html

I looked at Tony's "Idea using no lockup kit" on Sum's site yesterday but have to admit that I don't know enough about the parts mentioned in it to decipher the suggestion. It may be crystal clear to someone who is in those transmissions on a regular basis but It's more than a little Greek to me.

Can you walk me through the solution, which pin, where is the solenoid, etc.?

Thanks,

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

Props to Enjenjo on the extractor set. I was able to borrow a set from my drag racer pal this morning. Although  I was a bit nervous about breaking the extractor off or stripping  out the left-over fitting after going to the longest 1/2" box end wrench I own the left-over bit started to move and back out. I will own a set of those extractors, and maybe never have to use them in anger.

I will be putting the original pipe plug back in that pressure tap and will pursue either an internal pressure switch solution or possibly a microswitch in the 4th gear position on my shifter.

I gotta tell you all, that piece of brass stuck on that extractor is sure a beautiful sight!!!

Frank is still right up there in the front runners on my heroes list.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Props to Enjenjo on the extractor set. I was able to borrow a set from my drag racer pal this morning. Although  I was a bit nervous about breaking the extractor off or stripping  out the left-over fitting after going to the longest 1/2" box end wrench I own the left-over bit started to move and back out. I will own a set of those extractors, and maybe never have to use them in anger.

I will be putting the original pipe plug back in that pressure tap and will pursue either an internal pressure switch solution or possibly a microswitch in the 4th gear position on my shifter.

I gotta tell you all, that piece of brass stuck on that extractor is sure a beautiful sight!!!

Frank is still right up there in the front runners on my heroes list.

Charlie

Charlie get the TCI kit from Summit for about $70.  It comes with the wiring, pressure switch and instructions.  I've been using it for years and highly recommend it.

TCI-376600

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TCI%2D376600&N=310473+115&autoview=sku

If you wire it like on my site you can manually lock it up in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th or you can set it to not lock up at all or set it to lock up automatically whenever it goes into 4th all with a singe double throw, double pole center off switch.  I didn't like the auto unlock with low vacuum and disabled that.

It is a good kit and you can install it with the trans in the car.  Have to drop the pan.

c ya, Sum