I couldn't bear to see it burried

Started by GPster, May 09, 2006, 02:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I have a friend with a bank at the end of his property that he is trying to fill up. Once a week I go there with the grass cuttings from my yard and last week he directed me to a new spot. Low and behold someone had blessed it with an old VW engine. Today I rescued it (breaking a rake handle doing it) for a more fitting demise at Bonneville. So anyone planning to drive out The Block halves are available for the trip as they would probably be hard to get on a plane as carry-on luggage. Are the heads that pressious metal too? I rescued one head and I'll strip it if it counts. GPster

unklian

I'm pretty sure the heads are Aluminum,
the Type 1 blocks,and transmission cases,
are Magnesium.

sirstude

GPster,

So you are headed out the B'ville this year sounds like.  See you there.  I am going to check with the local VW repair place (he is a hot rodder) and see if there are any old blocks there too.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

alchevy

Boy, just think, that VW motor might have come out of one of those 3 million dollar 15 window (or was it 13) Buses that just sold at the auction! I tried to find it to post here. It was in my Hagerty newsletter a few issues ago.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

GPster

The good thing about magnesium is it doesn't rust. The crank is still hanging in half of it with twoo rods rusted to their throws at just enough of a catty wampus angle that I'll probably have to take the cutting torch and part one rod so the othe one will fall through. Or it may end up being one of those two man projects (like bleeding brakes). GPster

Leon

Be careful with that cutting torch so you don't have an early bonfire with the case!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "GPster"The good thing about magnesium is it doesn't rust. The crank is still hanging in half of it with twoo rods rusted to their throws at just enough of a catty wampus angle that I'll probably have to take the cutting torch and part one rod so the othe one will fall through. Or it may end up being one of those two man projects (like bleeding brakes). GPster

HMMMMMMMMM, I've never used a cuttin torch to bleed brakes .

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Leon"Be careful with that cutting torch so you don't have an early bonfire with the case!
Thanks for that! I had totally lost the point of this indever.GPster

GPster

Well I felt destructive today and worked on this engine.With a small pipe wrench and vise grips I managed to get all the studs out. I thought that would give me more room to get the pistons lined up with the holes in the block. It did that and a;so made it possible to see that the pistons wouldn't go into the block. After beating on the wristpins and getting no where that way I managed to get to the rod bolts. Got 3 out andhad room to drill the third one out. All this happened and then my wife happened into the garage. I had to explain all of this to her and then explain the comments. She explained that I'm expecting too much from my friends and that I should get off my indecissiveness and plan on taking them out myself. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

So Joe........ your wife was telling you to :

" Get R done"

:arrow:   :?:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)