carburetor explosion

Started by docchevy, May 08, 2006, 08:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docchevy

Quote from: "Mikej"If the carb is the problem it could be the air valve opening to quickly in the secondaries( the new ones are supposed to be adjustable) or you need bigger jets in the secondary. Does it run ok at WOT from a standing start or does it act up from cruise to WOT?

Everytime the secondaries open up it backfires, even sitting at the curb!  Does an Edelbrock have an air valve?
Remember; Physics explains everything!

Mikej

The 750 I had, had a valve that opens with air flow on the secondaries so it doesn't bog. It was weighted so it only open at a certain airflow. The newer carb are suppose to have a valve that is adjustable. But if you are backfiring thru the carb just by reving it up, my guess is its not the secondaries. You usually can't  them to open with a blast of the throttle. Check wiring order?

enjenjo

Yes the Edelbrock has an air valve. Normally what is happening to you is caused by leaning out. I suppose there is a possibility the air valve was left out. My car will do that if you roll into the throttle with a cold engine, but never once it warms up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

docchevy

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes the Edelbrock has an air valve. Normally what is happening to you is caused by leaning out. I suppose there is a possibility the air valve was left out. My car will do that if you roll into the throttle with a cold engine, but never once it warms up.
Thanks for the advise guys.  Wires are correct.  I'm sorry, I was thinking power valve like a Q-jet.  That huge butterfly on top is what you are talking about, right?  How can it be adjusted?  It does this hot or cold, sneaking into the secondaries or WOT, sitting or driving.   I originally had larger jets, and rods, in the primaries but went one step leaner because the plugs read rich. (that was when the mixture was way too far retarded because of the timing tab being off)  I could easily go back to the original jetting, although the plugs still show a bit rich on the mixture.

enjenjo

Jetting by the plugs is difficult at best any more because of the crap they put in the fuel now. best way to do it is with an Air/fuel meter.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

docchevy

Quote from: "enjenjo"Jetting by the plugs is difficult at best any more because of the crap they put in the fuel now. best way to do it is with an Air/fuel meter.
I never thought of that!  Maybe I can wrangle some time at one of the work stations.  Thanks.

docchevy

Until I can get to the shop, I changed to the pink springs!  It stopped the backfire and improved power 80%.  I may even need stronger springs as it bogs on WOT.