Classic Gauge Problem

Started by 40, May 02, 2006, 08:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a set of Classic gauges in the 36.I have only driven it a couple of times but each time,the glass lens on the quad gauge fogs up??? The speedo and the tach are crystal clear but the quad steams up to the point that it's hard to read.Are these gauges a sealed unit?It is all electric so there is no fluid to the gauges.....didn't think the gauges would produce enough heat to cause this?Any ideas? I will give Classic a call and see what they think when I get a free minute ......was just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem?Thanks!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Bob K

Yep I've got em in my 52 and my 47 and they both fog up in the morning, after a couple of hours of driving they clear up . Speedo doesn't fog.

B 8) B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

phat rat

That's odd. Have you ever been given an explanation as to why they fog up?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I've had gauges that did that in the past, sometimes only one in a set. I won't say this is what causes it, but if you disassemble, and clean the back side of the glass real good it will stop.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rumrumm

A couple of the SW gauges in my roadster did that as well, but only in cool weather. I lived with it as a half hour of driving usually cleared them up.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Talked to a very helpful,polite fellow at Classic and he says it's a common problem with their older quad gauge.....says they never have this problem with any others.They modified them a couple years back and incorporated a vent hole into the design and the problem went away.He wants me to send the gauge back to them and they'll put the vent hole in my gauge free of charge.I asked if it was something I could do but he says it must be done in the factory.Repairing it free is great but it's still a huge PIA to R/R it.....perhaps I'll just wait and see how much it bugs me before I tackle it :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

donsrods

We sell boats, and one of the most common complaints we get is the gauges fog up. Even the no-fog ones. So we have started wiring the gauge lights to come on any time the ignition switch is on, and this clears up the problem.  The heat from the gauge light burns off the moisture in a few minutes.

We used to tell people to just turn on their dash lights, but this is easier, and they don't have to think about it.

Don

Coupen

I also had this problem on both my Classic quad guage, speedo and tach.  I drilled a couple of vent holes about 1/8 -3/16 diameter in the plastic case near the bezel.  I made sure the holes faced up when the guages were installed so the moisture vapor could rise up and out of the case.  I did this a couple of years ago and have not noticed any foging since.

Regards,
               Ron . . .

tomslik

well, i was gonna say they must be harley gauges....
:roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

parklane

Quote from: "tomslik"well, i was gonna say they must be harley gauges....
:roll:

Na, then they would be leakin oil  :shock:  :shock:

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

docchevy

I had the same problem, once,  with my SW quad guage but not the speedo.  It hasn't happened since.  

I bought SW guages because I wanted "American" technology.  The speedo didn't work right so I sent it back and they made me a new one ... in Mexico.  Also the temperature unit is wired backwards!  Don't depend on a company to be the same one you used years ago, like Honest Charley!
Remember; Physics explains everything!

blksheep

Lets give credit where credit is due.
I applaud Classic Instruments for acknowledging they have a problem with their older gauges.
And then, offering to repair (long since out of warranty) the problem free of charge.
Most companys would tell you just that. "Your out of warranty" and run from any commitment to correct the problem.
"Bravo" to the American company from Boyne City, Mi., with less than 20 employees and the business ethic to do things right.

No, I don't work for them, but I am a very satisfied customer that they have always eagerly offered their assistance.

blksheep...consistantly gauging something...in Charlotte

48ford

I have dolphin gauges in the 46 and they fog up too.
Now I know why.
Russ&Irene