Mustang II power streering alignment spec

Started by richard 36dodge, April 16, 2006, 08:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard 36dodge

I have finally decided to go with power steering. I know to use the 79 up Mustang rack with a GM pump. What I would like to know is what alignment spec to use for safe highway speed driving. My 36 Dodge weights 3100 # with 1660 # on the front wheels.  
Thanks, Rick Harris

enjenjo

one degree negative camber, 1/16" toe in, 4 to 6 degrees caster
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"one degree neg camber, 1/16" toe in, 4 to 6 degrees caster

what's with the 1 degree neg camber?
i was running mine pretty much stock MII with 2 degrees caster (it coulda used more caster,though)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Quotewhat's with the 1 degree neg camber?

Seems to work best for me with radial tires.

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "enjenjo"one degree negative camber, 1/16" toe in, 4 to 6 degrees caster
Thanks for the info !
Rick Harris

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quotewhat's with the 1 degree neg camber?

Seems to work best for me with radial tires.

it's not eatin' tires?

enjenjo

Nope, they wear evenly. I've used this setting on several cars lately. Negative leans in at the top by the way.

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "enjenjo"Nope, they wear evenly. I've used this setting on several cars lately. Negative leans in at the top by the way.
One more question , Is there a pressure hose that will fit the GM pump to the Mustang II rack ?
Thanks Rick Harris.

Varicam

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Nope, they wear evenly. I've used this setting on several cars lately. Negative leans in at the top by the way.
One more question , Is there a pressure hose that will fit the GM pump to the Mustang II rack ?
Thanks Rick Harris.

You can buy made-up hoses from some of the street rod supply houses.  A better bet might be to have them made up by a business that has the capability to assemble high pressure hydraulic hoses.  I had hoses made up locally for my Mll power rack with a GM pump.  Got  pressure, return, and remote resivor lines made from standard high pressure power steering hose stock. The lines cost about $75.00 total.  I furnished the fittings that attach to the rack since they were included when I got the new rack.

richard 36dodge

Do you use the standard old style power streering pump with the reservoir ?
Is there any modifications that should be done to the pump or it work fine with the late mustang rack ?
I have a SBC with the short water pump. I also have the power steering  pully and bracket from a 68 Chevy. Is this what you use ?
Thanks for the great info !  :D
Rick Harris

tomslik

yep, it sure does (i do alignments occasionally)

but i'm allways looking for ideas..

Varicam

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"Do you use the standard old style power streering pump with the reservoir ?
Is there any modifications that should be done to the pump or it work fine with the late mustang rack ?
I have a SBC with the short water pump. I also have the power steering  pully and bracket from a 68 Chevy. Is this what you use ?
Rick Harris

Not sure if this is directed to me, but I'll answer anyway.

I use a Type ll GM pump, that's the one with a separate reservior.  I got the pump from Auto Zone and the reservior from a street rod parts store.  My rack came from Flaming River and is a '74-'78 Mll design.  It is overly sensitive unless the pressure of the GM pump is reduced.  There's a way to cut the spring and add a washer to the pump flow control valve to lower the pressure, but I bought a modified valve that does the job nicely.  It's very easy to change the valve if the pump is accessible.  The modified valve came from Parr's automotive in Oklahoma City.  BTW, the early Mll racks are 16 inches between the centers of the mounting holes.  I'm told that later Mll and T-bird racks that are 15 1/2 inches between the mounting hole centers are fine with unmodified GM pumps.

Be sure to flush the hoses before installing them.  (I didn't and had a ton of problems until i got the crud out of the system).

enjenjo

Quote from: "tomslik"

Just wanted to make sure we were both on the same page.

richard 36dodge

Quote from: "Varicam"
Quote from: "richard 36dodge"Do you use the standard old style power streering pump with the reservoir ?
Rick Harris

Not sure if this is directed to me, but I'll answer anyway.

I use a Type ll GM pump, that's the one with a separate reservior.  I got the pump from Auto Zone and the reservior from a street rod parts store.  My rack came from Flaming River and is a '74-'78 Mll design.  It is overly sensitive unless the pressure of the GM pump is reduced.  There's a way to cut the spring and add a washer to the pump flow control valve to lower the pressure, but I bought a modified valve that does the job nicely.  It's very easy to change the valve if the pump is accessible.  The modified valve came from Parr's automotive in Oklahoma City.  BTW, the early Mll racks are 16 inches between the centers of the mounting holes.  I'm told that later Mll and T-bird racks that are 15 1/2 inches between the mounting hole centers are fine with unmodified GM pumps.

Be sure to flush the hoses before installing them.  (I didn't and had a ton of problems until i got the crud out of the system).

THANKS !
Rick Harris

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "tomslik"

Just wanted to make sure we were both on the same page.

well, as confusing as alignment stuff is, i figger we're helping the guys that don't know.

hey, on the hose thing, i've got some stuff(info) from gates that works with my mastercool a/c line crimper(dies) + they've got hose ends available now,too!
buy the ends you need and a chunk of hose and make your own!
not only that, but you COULD make a better looking return hose with this stuff...