Road Trip!

Started by alchevy, April 13, 2006, 09:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

A friend of mine from Gulfport, MS is going to take a trip from Gulfport, MS to Chicago, IL in 24 hours. Here's his press release:

Joseph M Casey III (JaguarJoe)

2602 Kenneth Ave

Gulfport, Ms 39501

(228) 864-0777

www.JaguarJoe.com

Date: April 20, 2006                                                                                                           For Immediate Release

PRESS RELEASE

HISTORICAL EVENT TO TAKE PLACE AT THE DOWNTOWN POST OFFICE IN GULFPORT, MISSISSIPPI ON APRIL 20, 2006 AT 10 AM

A non-stop endurance drive of 24 hours over today's modern highways will take place on the 81st Anniversary of the opening of The Magnolia Route also called (The Mississippi Gulf Coast to Chicago Highway). Every effort has been made to replicate the original event and the route will be followed as closely as modern highways permit.

I recently published a book titled "The Magnolia Route 1923-1927." It is the true history of the idea, mapping, and promotion of the Magnolia Route. The original route ran from the Post Office in downtown Gulfport to Chicago on April 20, 1925. The book is dedicated to the four civic leaders and good road advocated who opened the highway through the heartland of America on the original non-stop trip. The book can be purchased from www.JaguarJoe.com and donations for a State of Mississippi Historical Marker to be placed at the downtown Gulfport Post Office can be made under the sponsorship section of the website.

My son Barry and I are going to drive the route non-stop as they did in 1925 to Chicago and be received at the Edgewater Historical Society, 5358 N. Ashland Ave, Chicago, ILL 60640 in north Chicago. We will make the journey in my 1939 Jaguar Replica Car, "The Magnolia Special."

AGENDA FOR THE EVENT

April 20, 2006

9:00 AM – Fill canteen of water at the boat launch in Jones Park to be emptied in Lake Michigan to bind our two cities together as was done in 1925.
9:15 AM – Partake of a curbside breakfast in the car at the Port City Café located at 2418 14th Street.
9:45 AM – Drive to the downtown Gulfport Post Office to make a short speech.
10:00 AM – Leave on the non-stop drive on the sound of a gun shot by Deputy Chief Alfred Sexton of the Gulfport Police Dept.
10:40 AM – Make a pit stop at the Perkinston Campus of the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. We will be received by the administration, faculty, students and be presented pictures of the Edgewater Gulf Hotel and the book "Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College: A History 1911-2000" by Professor Charles Sullivan. The book and pictures will be transported and placed into the Archives of the Edgewater Historical Society and Museum in Chicago.
Resume non –stop trip to Chicago.

The public is invited to attend this exciting, historical event.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Goodfoot

I hope he has a pee can!

sirstude

How can it be non-stop when the first thing he does is stop?

Doug :wink:
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

I was going to ask which highways he was going to be on, maybe I could be there when he went by...but, I'll be working on the weekdays, unless he comes through this area later in the day.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

blksheep

Fuel??????????????

blksheep....in Charlotte

alchevy

I guess nonstop means "no overnight stops".
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Roadstar

Sounds like fun actually.

I wish your friend the best of luck.

Me and Denise ran intro some of the participants of the Great Race last year near Des Moines and got to talk to a couple of the car owners and drivers.

It's incredable how much planning goes into such an event.

alchevy

Well, they made it in three hours less than 24. Here's the story that I got from classiccarbug.com which will have an update later on:

"A crowd of about thirty well-wishers were at the Gulfport Post Office Thursday morning to see the "Magnolai Special" off to the Windy City. Jaguar Joe Casey and his son Barry arrived in Chicago on Friday, April 22 at 7:00 am, three hours ahead of schedule! The car performed very well and the trip ran smoothly, although they encounered some heavy fog in Kentucky and Indiana. "We were glad to see the daylight," said Casey."

www.astreetrodder.com