What I did today

Started by enjenjo, April 09, 2006, 08:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

My wife's car needed a brake job, so I did that this afternoon, 200 Bonneville, got 51,000 out of the original brakes. While I was doing it, I noticed the front rotors and calipers would be adaptable for a disc brake retrofit. Pretty simple caliper mounting, two bolts.

After I finished that I worked on the sprint car frame. It definitely has history, I have filled over 80 holes, and am not done with one rail yet. None of this was apparent when I started, because it had been covered with gorilla hair the last time it was done, plus a bunch of the holes had been brazed shut. I have also found several cracks, but none of them terminal. It's going to take several days to finish it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

I spent a little time this morning trying to drive the shackle bushings out of a set of Ford banjo rear spring perches.  

Then I spent the rest of the day at my late mother-in-laws helping my wife sort through a lifetime's worth of stuff.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

phat46

Got my chainsaw running after sitting for about ten years and cut down a 20' pine tree in the back yard... then I took a nap!  :lol:

parklane

Quote from: "phat46"Got my chainsaw running after sitting for about ten years and cut down a 20' pine tree in the back yard... then I took a nap!  :lol:

Did you cut it up and split it, so I can pick it up next week :wink:

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

phat46

Quote from: "parklane"
Quote from: "phat46"Got my chainsaw running after sitting for about ten years and cut down a 20' pine tree in the back yard... then I took a nap!  :lol:

Did you cut it up and split it, so I can pick it up next week :wink:

John :)

Nope, it was so spindly I didn't need to split it, cut it into two foot lengths and tossed it into my truck to take to work and give it to a guy to burn.

donsrods

I did my laundry, took a nap.

Cleaned the house, took a nap.

Baked some Ziti, took a nap.

Man, this being single is tough. Time to start looking for another girlfriend so I can take more naps and not have to do all this housework on my day off. :D  :D  :D  :D

Don

Grandadeo

Did my taxes this afternoon.  Found the money I needed for my drive to the Roadster Show in June.  That is if gas prices don't go up much more.  If they do...still going!

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

58 Yeoman

I rode for 200 miles on the bike with a couple new friends.  Had a great steak at a Texas Roadhouse.  Came home and watched Silverado on cd.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

EMSjunkie

finally got the console my Nephew-in-law built for me.

he made it out of 18 and 20 ga. steel.

took a little tweaking to make it fit just right.  :)
covered it with left over leather, finished the wiring to the switches.  8)

now its time to put some miles on the 'Beast

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

58Apache

Hey Frank, aren't those ABS rotors? Wouldn't it be cheaper to retro-fit an older system? Can you make ABS work on a retro-fit?

I want to eventually get a new frame for my 58 truck so I can easily get front disc brakes and power steering. I was thinking on looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton about the years 1985-1990 to get before ABS but still have a modern enough system to find reasonably priced parts over the counter.

Steve

rer_239

worked on a lower steering column bracket and a radiator apron and played with the grandkids.  
rer_239 :0-0

purplepickup

Sue and I took our grandsons (10 & 12) to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago on Saturday where I learned a lot too.  The first Spirit of America jet powered land speed car that ran 526mph and crashed was there.....among about a million other things.  :shock:   The museum is so big we only saw about half of the stuff.  It's a very interesting place and I'd like to go back.  It would be nice if they had an adults only day tho :D

Sunday I dropped the headliner in a new (to me) used car I bought, to replace the seatbelt retractor.  It only required taking out the rear seat, side panels, all the courtesy lights, visors, and a few other things.  Yup, I broke a couple of panel clips and it took all day. :(  I'll finish up tonight after I get some new clips.
George

sirstude

Finished bolting down the body, and sealed the last of the seams.  Spent Saturday afternoon wandering around in one of the local junk yards.  They had a chunk of the fence down and there were a dozen 40's 4 doors in there.  Also was a 46 or so Desoto coupe there.  I think this is Al's private stash.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

QuoteHey Frank, aren't those ABS rotors? Wouldn't it be cheaper to retro-fit an older system? Can you make ABS work on a retro-fit?

The ABS is in the hubs on this car, you don't have to touch it to rebuild the brakes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

SKR8PN

I put the new tranny that I built for the Daytona, in it this weekend.....
and got to play with a trans-brake for the first time ever :shock:
HOLY MACKERAL,I can't wait to get the new engine done and installed.
This thing is going to be a HOOT to drive :lol:  :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.