Switch-pitch or 200r4...Which one???

Started by efingstein, April 05, 2006, 01:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efingstein

My Merc is sitting at Salado, TX right this very minute waiting for a friend and I to go rescue it. That tranny kept slipping in and out of gear on the way to Flyrite's. I managed to limp it back to the motel that afternoon and up to Salado the next morning. I'm debating about putting a 200r4 in it. The Merc is way heavy and I was wondering if the tranny could handle the torque that the 425 will put out. What's the pros and cons of that tranny? Should I just rebuild the SP400 that's in it? I really like the idea of a 4th gear. Gimmie some ideas as to what I'm in for on the swap. I know I'm in for a wallet beating with the Bendtsen's adapters and a good rebuild on a 200r4, but, what else?
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

enjenjo

Well, Caddy use a 200R4 in Devilles in the early 80's They seemed to work alright in them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

I'm running a 200R4 in the 46 ford with a 400 chevy.
They are good trannys.
I'm happy with it.
Russ

Crosley.In.AZ

the t-400 dropping out of gear could be a clogged filter.  If it moves again after sitting for 30 minutes, the filter is clogging up, which is not a good indicator.

a 200-4r built correctly will do fine, but then you probably know that from the HAMB.... some of the answers there are actually correct this time.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"the t-400 dropping out of gear could be a clogged filter.  If it moves again after sitting for 30 minutes, the filter is clogging up, which is not a good indicator.

a 200-4r built correctly will do fine, but then you probably know that from the HAMB.... some of the answers there are actually correct this time.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

shine

a built 200 is 1295 . it is a true 4 speed with a clutch pack for 4th. i've used them since 90 and have had only one failure due to abuse.

efingstein

Quote from: "Crosley"the t-400 dropping out of gear could be a clogged filter.  If it moves again after sitting for 30 minutes, the filter is clogging up, which is not a good indicator.

Cros, I had one guy tell me about the clogged filter. I called my bud the mechanic and he said the same thing about clogged filter but that it's clogged with clutch material. So, it's time for a rebuild. I think I'm going to rebuild the SP400 after all and change the rear gears.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "shine"it is a true 4 speed with a clutch pack for 4th. i've used them since 90 and have had only one failure due to abuse.

You need to drop the stuff about the 200-4r being a true 4 speed compared to a 700 tranny since it is incorrect

By your line of thought the 200-4r is not a true 4 speed since it uses a band for 2nd gear.  Same line of thought would give us the 700 as a 3 speed tranny also
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)