Rode to a little car show

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 02, 2006, 12:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Small cars gathered in Tucson AZ this weekend.  We rode for a look.

Quite a few little cars not seen much of today....

After that Janice wanted to ride down to Tombstone AZ & look around... a small car show was in place.  I noticed a black car that looks familar.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Nice thing about small cars is, they don't take up much room.  I watched CBS Sunday Morning this am, and a guy on one of the segments collected miniature books.  He could have a whole library in a drawer, but you need a magnifying glass to read 'em.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"I noticed a black car that looks familar.

Mirrors?  Turn signals?  Pro Street tires?  Please dont tell me he put mufflers on it too.......its the end of the world.

donsrods

Nice little '27, whose is it??

When you said you were going to a "little" car show, I thought you meant a show with very few participants. Not a car show for "little cars." :lol:  :lol:

Kind of cool though.

When I was about 18 I bought a Fiat 500. It was the one with the headlights up on top of the fenders, had a sunroof that went all the way back, and had only 18 HP.  I lived in a valley, and the road went pretty steeply up a hill for about a mile. I actually had to come screaming down my driveway and get a flying start, or the car didn't have enough power to climb the hill. I had to be very good at shifting at just the right time, and not carry any passengers, or it would just die half way up, and I would have to turn around and try it again.

I also owned two Crosleys. One sedan and one wagon. The sliding windows were the coolest part. I always wanted a HotShot, but couldn't find one.

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

a less cropped foto of the black car.

A local fellow had a Fiat 500 with a small block chevy in it. Plenty of power to get up hills.
Tony

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"Small cars gathered in Tucson AZ this weekend.  We rode for a look.

Quite a few little cars not seen much of today....

After that Janice wanted to ride down to Tombstone AZ & look around... a small car show was in place.  I noticed a black car that looks familar.

Which one of those companies made that/those  cute little 3 wheeled pick up truck(s)(2 rear wheels).

I saw a few of those here in Canada..and they were registerred as motorcycles??.They looked too original to have been fiddled with..and I was needless to say shocked when I saw that they indeed had HANDLEBARS to turn the front wheel.

donsrods

Was that Cushman who made those 3 wheelers???

Hey Crosley, did you see any King Midgets there?  I remember in the '50's and '60's they were always selling them inside Popular Mechanics. I think they came in a big box and you put them together, or at least finished putting them together.

Wonder if they are even street legal anymore? You could get run over real easy. :D  :D  :D

Don

parklane

Quote from: "donsrods"Nice little '27, whose is it??

When you said you were going to a "little" car show, I thought you meant a show with very few participants. Not a car show for "little cars." :lol:  :lol:

Kind of cool though.

When I was about 18 I bought a Fiat 500. It was the one with the headlights up on top of the fenders, had a sunroof that went all the way back, and had only 18 HP.  I lived in a valley, and the road went pretty steeply up a hill for about a mile. I actually had to come screaming down my driveway and get a flying start, or the car didn't have enough power to climb the hill. I had to be very good at shifting at just the right time, and not carry any passengers, or it would just die half way up, and I would have to turn around and try it again.

I also owned two Crosleys. One sedan and one wagon. The sliding windows were the coolest part. I always wanted a HotShot, but couldn't find one.

Don

When my brother got married back in the late 50's, he had a 1950 Morris Minor, and on his honeymoon, got to a hill that he had to back up on, cuz it didn't have the power in 1st gear. :roll:  :roll:

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Olderndirt2

Quote from: "parklane"
Quote from: "donsrods"Nice little '27, whose is it??

Kind of cool though.

Don

When my brother got married back in the late 50's, he had a 1950 Morris Minor, and on his honeymoon, got to a hill that he had to back up on, cuz it didn't have the power in 1st gear. :roll:  :roll:

John :)

Model T's were famous for that.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "donsrods"Was that Cushman who made those 3 wheelers???

Hey Crosley, did you see any King Midgets there?  I remember in the '50's and '60's they were always selling them inside Popular Mechanics. I think they came in a big box and you put them together, or at least finished putting them together.

Wonder if they are even street legal anymore? You could get run over real easy. :D  :D  :D

Don

Cushman built many different untility vehicles after the scooter was killed off. Could be what is mentioned a bit earlier in the thread. Postal workers used a 3 wheel Cushman here in the metro Phoenix area in the 1960's

No King Midgets at the show.  I chatted with a fellow that own one , it was in a million pieces ( his words).

My 1961  Morris seems to be fairly low geared , should do hills well even in 1st gear if needed.  The center section of my Morris  rear diff has been changed , so it may be a lower gear in mine than OEM.

8)
Tony

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "donsrods"Was that Cushman who made those 3 wheelers???

Don

Cushman built many different untility vehicles after the scooter was killed off. Could be what is mentioned a bit earlier in the thread. Postal workers used a 3 wheel Cushman here in the metro Phoenix area in the 1960's

No King Midgets at the show.  I chatted with a fellow that own one , it was in a million pieces ( his words).

My 1961  Morris seems to be fairly low geared , should do hills well even in 1st gear if needed.  The center section of my Morris  rear diff has been changed , so it may be a lower gear in mine than OEM.

8)

Those little 3 wheel trucks I was referring to are Vespa "Trucks".I kinda thought they were..and looked them up.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Arnold"

Those little 3 wheel trucks I was referring to are Vespa "Trucks".I kinda thought they were..and looked them up.

Ah yes..... the Vespa trucks.  I remember them now.....  A Bond 007 movie comes to mind where they were used?

:?
Tony

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Arnold"

Ah yes..... the Vespa trucks.  I remember them now.....  A Bond 007 movie comes to mind where they were used?

:?

Yes..Now that you mention it..I think you are right/Bond flick. Can't remember the movie or part..I think Pearce was in that one.

junkyardjeff

What is the yellow jeep looking truck,I could have some fun with it.  Jeff

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "junkyardjeff"What is the yellow jeep looking truck,I could have some fun with it.  Jeff

that is a Crofton Bug......  from the Crosley Farm O Road .  

Crofton bought the rights to the Farm O Road after Powel  Crosley closed / sold Crosley Motors.  I am not sure of the time frame when this happened.
Tony