Tach problem

Started by chopped, March 28, 2006, 03:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopped

Just got a 91 Camaro RS convert. If I can figure out how fast I'm going it should be fun. Tach and speedo didn't work, got a used cluster for next to nothing. Just put it in and the tach reads about 2X what it should. Speedo still zero but I can get another epeed sensor. Any ideas what I should do next?

donsrods

Is the tach for the same engine you are using. If you use a 4 cyl or 6 cyl tach in a V8 you will get incorrect readings.

Don

chopped

Thanks for the reply. It came from an IROC and I assumed it was an eight. You know what they say about assuming.

tomslik

Quote from: "chopped"Thanks for the reply. It came from an IROC and I assumed it was an eight. You know what they say about assuming.

uhhh,all iroc's were 8's....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

chopped

uhhh,all iroc's were 8's....[/quote]

Then I'm back where I started, what would make the tach read double?

BFS57

Hello;
Well, I guess you are kind of like me, I figure cause it cost me next to nothing it was a great bargain! WRONG! I'm finding out that Cheap ain't best as every time I try to get a bargain, I usually get a pain in the (you know what!)
Bruce

Leon

Does the car have an MSD box?  I've seen where someone connected an MSD and because of the multiple spark feature the tach read high.  All it took to fix it was to move the tach wire to the tach terminal on the box.