Rim with neg offset question...

Started by efingstein, March 22, 2006, 09:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efingstein

I am running a camaro rear end with 15X7 rims on the back of my Merc. I tried to run 225/75/15's. The outside of the tire rubs just a hair on the backside of the fender. I have pounded the upper fender lip out as close to straight as possible. I pulled a 195 65 15 rally rim off my dad's 37 Chev. It cleared the spot where the other tire rubbed but was still really close. Looking up from the bottom, if it went low enough, it would rub. Should I try to run a 205 75 15 or am I going to need a rim with more of a negative offset? I am getting a 205 put on my rim this afternoon and will try it. I really don't think it will help. Does anybody know a steel wheel that will fit the bolt pattern and have a slight neg offset? I have about a week to get this thing back on the road.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

GPster

4 X 4  S10 wheels. BMW wheels might work but it would be a little harder to find steel ones and the newer you go the more negative offset you'll get. If you get into the 80's with BMW you're liable to get stuck with Metric size wheels. Just something I learned from the master and my real world. GPster

efingstein

I had heard about the 4x4 s-10 wheels before. Do you know if they are 15"?
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

GPster

Quote from: "efingstein"I had heard about the 4x4 s-10 wheels before. Do you know if they are 15"?
Around here I don't know of anything but 15" on the 4X4s But I'm not sure. GPster

efingstein

thanks Sir, I'll head out to pull-a-part Sat morning to pull a couple and see what damage I can do.

enjenjo

78 to 85 Toronado, and Rivi use the same steel wheels as the S10 4x4 except they are painted black. The have 2" more offset.

Changing tire size won't help as much as you might think, been there done that. Without changing the wheel, the bead will be in the same place.

The  S10 and Toro wheels are 15 by 7
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

efingstein

More offset from the rally's or from the s-10's? I'll be on the lookout for one of each to try.

enjenjo

The Toro wheel, and the S10 wheel, are the same wheel, except the S10 wheel was painted silver, and the Toro wheel was painted black. They have 2" more offset than a ralley wheel. You can use most standard Full wheel discs on them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

efingstein

Quick update: I made 1 phone call and my dad made 1 phone call and I have 2 nice toro rims waiting to be picked up on my lunch hour! I love having friends with huge parts stashes.