NAPA Ceramic pad problems

Started by 40_Tudor, March 16, 2006, 12:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

40_Tudor

I am on my second set of NAPA premium ceramic brake pads and slotted rotors on my 97 Yukon.
The first set of rotors developed hot spots and warped after a couple of thousand miles. I put premium ceramic pads on at same time. Calipers, slides etc. in good shape. Rear brakes OK.

Replaced the first set with loaded calipers with ceramic pads (UP 4422138CMX) and new set of slotted rotors (UP PR85962L). 2k miles later same problems, hot spots and warped rotors. And yes I put the slotted rotors on the correct side.

We've have another customers 96 Chevy Tahue in with the same problem and a couple other shops told NAPA that they are having the same problem with similar models.
NAPA salesman brought in NAPA brake tech rep in and he blames the GM anti lock brake system on these specific models.
I think he is full of, well you know.
Anyone else had problems with NAPA ceramic pads or these model trucks and if so what is the fix?
Anyone recommend any other brand of other ceramic pads.
I hate to go back to regular dirty pads.
I'm getting ready to order another set of performance slotted rotors; NAPA is paying for them again but I'm getting a little tired of replacing rotors every 2000 mi. Plus it never fails, every time I get my truck up on the rack we get busy.

58 Yeoman

I think the rotors/drums just as thick as they used to be, and warp easily.  I've had the same problem on my Ranger and a Cirrus.  I didn't get my rotors from NAPA, though.  Good luck.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Mikej

A couple month ago one of the mags had an article on different pads. Between the tests they would scuff the rotors. Then with the new pad they would drive normal for 1/2 an hour. Then brake from 60 mph to almost a stop 3 times, fairly hard but not locking up the tires. Then normal driving to cool them off. They claim that this puts a coating of disc material on the rotor so the rotor doesn't wear as much.
 I also think the rotors on the new Ranger are a little weak. They need to be tighten up slowly and evenly. The guys at the garage need to take it easy with the impact wrench. They have warped 2 rotor on my 2004 Ranger.

Dave

Quote from: "40_Tudor"I am on my second set of NAPA premium ceramic brake pads and slotted rotors on my 97 Yukon.
The first set of rotors developed hot spots and warped after a couple of thousand miles. I put premium ceramic pads on at same time. Calipers, slides etc. in good shape. Rear brakes OK.

Replaced the first set with loaded calipers with ceramic pads (UP 4422138CMX) and new set of slotted rotors (UP PR85962L). 2k miles later same problems, hot spots and warped rotors. And yes I put the slotted rotors on the correct side.

We've have another customers 96 Chevy Tahue in with the same problem and a couple other shops told NAPA that they are having the same problem with similar models.
NAPA salesman brought in NAPA brake tech rep in and he blames the GM anti lock brake system on these specific models.
I think he is full of, well you know.
Anyone else had problems with NAPA ceramic pads or these model trucks and if so what is the fix?
Anyone recommend any other brand of other ceramic pads.
I hate to go back to regular dirty pads.
I'm getting ready to order another set of performance slotted rotors; NAPA is paying for them again but I'm getting a little tired of replacing rotors every 2000 mi. Plus it never fails, every time I get my truck up on the rack we get busy.

I tried ceramic pads on the 32 . Junk ..... I went back to a good quality but but not the highest price regular pads and no dust and it stops good. With the ceramic on it it one day just started to pull left. I even changed out the rotors. So Id never try em again.
Ive tried several different pads over the years and found the factory junk to give off a lot of dust but the after market good pads dont.
Dave

enjenjo

QuoteThey claim that this puts a coating of disc material on the rotor so the rotor doesn't wear as much

This is some of the new technology.  It's called Cohesive friction linings. If broken in properly, they will make the rotors last much longer. The pads last longer too. The friction is actually between the pads, and the pad material deposited on the rotor. When we changed to cohesive friction linings on big trucks, it nearly doubled brake life.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've tried ceramic pads twice, both times I took them off and used old style pads to correct problems.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

I also installed the aluminum disks behind the front wheels on the Ranger to hold back the dust.  Wheels stay much cleaner without all the brake dust on 'em.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Phil1934

I had no luck with NAPA pads. I put a set on a Ford PU and the wheels looked like the pads were charcoal.  While the OEM lasted 45K, the NAPA pads were in the metal in less than 15K.

SKR8PN

I have had to re-do 2 different brake jobs for customers because they requested NAPA ceramic pads. On both vehicles(one was a Chevy Avalanche the other a Dodge Dakota) the new rotors warped aithin a couple thousand miles. I pulled rotors and pads and replaced them with Advance's "silver" pads and Wearever rotors with no problems whatsoever.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.