Driveshaft to short. Need longer yoke.

Started by WZ JUNK, March 15, 2006, 09:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I have a driveshaft that is to short.   Probably and inch or so to short.  It came in the old truck that I have been working on.  I get a vibration when I accelerate and it may be coming from the yoke being to far out on the splines of the 350 transmission.  I was wonder if GM made any driveshafts with a longer yoke that I could exchange on to my driveshaft?  I thought it would be cheaper to switch out the yoke than have a new driveshaft made.

Subject of this post was not intended to caused a burst of humorous comments but I can imagine a few myself.

tia  
John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Dave

Quote from: "rooster"Astro Van will give you a 1". But has a balancer.
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3345&highlight= :D

That balancer aint a bad deal . kinda loke the harmonic balancer on the engine but a lot smaller. smooths em out a bit.
Dave

Sean

Quote from: "N8DC"

That balancer aint a bad deal . kinda loke the harmonic balancer on the engine but a lot smaller. smooths em out a bit.
Dave

I've seen Harmonic balancers that have separated, so what happens to the driveshaft version when you go from a 180hp V6 to a 300hp(or more) V8?

With my luck it would be laying on the ground after the first holeshot... :wink:

Dave

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "N8DC"

Dave

I've seen Harmonic balancers that have separated, so what happens to the driveshaft version when you go from a 180hp V6 to a 300hp(or more) V8?

With my luck it would be laying on the ground after the first holeshot... :wink:

they use the saME STUFF ON CAMAROS AND FIRE CHICKENS.  oops caps lock  :lol:  :lol:
Dave

enjenjo

I've used the yokes with vibration dampers, never had one fail. You find them on a lot of aluminum driveshafts. The factories are big on NHV the last 15 years or so.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I have a driveshaft that is to short.   Probably and inch or so to short.  It came in the old truck that I have been working on.  I get a vibration when I accelerate and it may be coming from the yoke being to far out on the splines of the 350 transmission.  I was wonder if GM made any driveshafts with a longer yoke that I could exchange on to my driveshaft?  I thought it would be cheaper to switch out the yoke than have a new driveshaft made.

Subject of this post was not intended to caused a burst of humorous comments but I can imagine a few myself.

tia  
John

I bought the driveshaft today $20  and the new joint $12.  Tomorrow afternoon I will put it together and in the truck.   Tomorrow morning we are going to pick up the 32 roadster that we are going to build to sell.  

Thanks to all.   I will post as to how it works.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH