Cracked windshield repair ?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, March 08, 2006, 08:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Seems like most folks here thought the Harbor Freight crack repair kits worked good on windshields ??

I got a stone chip in my Silverado this afternoon.

2 brake jobs on the front in 1800 miles, I bought new tires to correct the shake the truck had at 1980 miles,  a stone chip at 2690 miles.......

I am not sure I should have bought this truck

:evil:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

moparrodder

Boy Tony, it sounds like if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. That sucks having a stone chip in your windshield on a new truck.  Although I haven't had any experiance with the Harbor Freight windshield crack repair kit , I do know you should get it repaired before it gets too old.  The company I work for has 8 semis and 21 straight trucks and a dozen pickups on the road every day and our local body shop man has repaired almost everyone of them with great success and has stoped them from cracking any further. Our company insurance company pays to have it done with no questions aksed as it's cheaper than replacing a complete windshield and down time is almost nonexisitant, takes the body man about ten minutes and we're back on the road.  I waited too long to get one fixed on our mountianeer and now it's got a crack all across the windshield and I have to get a new one .  Hope you have better luck with your truck.   Bill

BFS57

Hello;
Don't know about the insurance rules from your state but here in Florida, if you have a cracked windshield (or other chip) your insurance company has to replace it at no cost to you! Thats what I did on my '57 Chevy!
We do it all the time for our work vans. We use a guy that comes, does the job, and gives a certificate for a box of free steaks!
Did I say we have a gas grill in our wherehouse!
Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

I was told by my Allstate agent ( 6 years ago) that the chip repair did not count against my insurance record..... that changed and WHEN I do not know.

Glass Chip repairs now count as a glass claim. I found this out when shopping for insurance quotes on the trucks 2 years ago.  

I had one Dumb A** agent tell me I had glass claims back to 1999 on my 2001 Ford truck. Of course I asked him how a 2001 truck would have glass claims from 1999. He said he would get back to me on that.

I am no longer with Allstate.

Car wash people always want to fix the windshield chips and tell you they do not count on your insurance.  You should  see the special  look I get from them when I tell them they are a GD liar.  These records are on the general data base that insurers look at when quoting.... at least in AZ
Tony

58 Yeoman

I was talking with the safety man at work today; he had his home insurance canelled yesterday.  Almost a year ago, lightning hit the wires, and fried his outlet strip for the puter (must've had a good one).  He called the ins. co. and told him that he was sending it in to have it repaired, and was just letting them know, in case the repairs were more than his $500 deductible.  Later, he said it only cost $85 to fix it.

Later in the year, he turned in a claim on his house; a leaky skylight and rotten wood on his front porch.  They counted that as two claims.  They told him to go to his bank for the check on Wednesday, which is what he did.  When he got home and picked up his mail, there was a letter from the ins. co. that he was being cancelled for having three claims in one year.  They counted the informational phone call as a claim (on the puter).

Geez, what's next?  Have the agent come to your house to go over your policies, and they'll call that a claim?  Maybe the call-in companies aren't looking so bad anymore?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Phil....... I've read that now in AZ the insurance claims follow a house by address.

SO , when you buy a house and the insurance comany looks up the house claims records and the former owner had a few claims it counts aginst the coverage rate.

That may have changed since there was a loud out cry from poeple about that type of data base not being fair to the new home owner .
Tony

phat rat

It's happening all over. I put high deductible on my daily driver and the house for that reason
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

BFS57

Hello, Again;
Between the medical insurance co's and other insurance companies, Insurance ain't worth S@!* any more!
I'm seriously thinking of taking the monies I spend with insurance companies and just putting it in a bank account. Then when I have a problem, I would just negotiate my best cash deal!. So far, I have done it with Doctors and outside vendors. They all speak cash!, Don't under estimate that power!!! We still have it!!
Bruce

Crosley.In.AZ

I can forget about chip repair on the windshield of my truck.

I  found a guy to fix the winder on saturday..... but;

Today ( friday) I come out from work and the chip had developed  a 10 inch long crack.

I imagine you guys have seen a car going down the road with a badly cracked windshield for years?

I am one of those people that can have a small crack and the police will stop me and write a repair order on the truck..... they do that here in AZ. I'll see how long I can get by.

8)
Tony

58 Yeoman

Tony, just remove the windshield altogether, and the cops will wonder how you keep your windows so clean. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil