identify rear end

Started by phat rat, March 07, 2006, 09:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat rat

I think this is a Chev from 64 down but don't know for sure. Can anyone tell me? Can't tell whether it was leave or coil spring
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

GPster

Somebody did a hell of a job cleaning the brackets off of it just to leave it set outside and rust. The only person that I think uses one is Horhey in that purple pick-up. I may not be right but it seems to me that the axles where interchangeable (not side for side) through all the years except '55 which used a smaller bearing. They would have been leaf spring til '57 and gone to coil spring in '58. the '58 had a 1 year rear suspension in that there was an "A" arm type link on top of the housing to serve as the top link of the suspension but the '59 to '64 had the top link on the passenger side top of the housing and a "track bar" to limit sideward motion. I'd say your gear choices would be kind of limited on those as I never remember a ratio under 3.08. GPster

phat rat

I got a bunch of stuff from a guy who had no idea what he had, all he knew was hot rod stuff. Set of 35-36 rear bones with tie rod ends already in, 42-7 Ford front axle (drilled with 19 holes) complete drum to drum, split bones for the same, Model A frt and rear springs, this housing with drums and backing plates and 4 axles, 2 different lenghts, panard bar, floor pedal assembly minus the clutch pedal, a few other odds and ends plus a T-bucket frame. He bought it all at an estate auction and had a dream of building a hot rod, but decided he never would. Another E-bay find

GPster

Decide what you want to use and put the rest of it with that "T" bucket frame. Maybe you could trade it for a running 500 inch Cad engine so you won't have to build a power plant. GPster

phat rat

The frame is already listed for sale. I do intend to buy a runner,  big Cad, buick or Chev