Finishing my quick change:

Started by Rex Schimmer, March 07, 2006, 11:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Schimmer

I thought I'd send a couple of pictures of my completed quick change. I have had the mag center section Dow 7 coated, all new bearings, the axel housings are modified for full floating axels, all new ARP studs and twelve point fasteners and the brakes are Wilwood.

Next is the front axel and then start assembly!

Rex

Rex Schimmer

If this fails you'll just have to use your imagination!
Rex

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Rex Schimmer"If this fails you'll just have to use your imagination!
Rex

Let's see, I'm imagining a completed quick change where the mag center section has been Dow 7 coated, with all new bearings, and the axle housings have been modified for full floating axles, with all new ARP studs and twelve point fasteners and Wilwood brakes.  I'm beginning to see it now..................... :roll:  :roll: .

Rex if you can't get the pictures to post e-mail them to me and I'll get them up.

Oh, and I want to see it assembled on the salt in August :D .

c ya, Sum

1FATGMC

Rex sent me two pictures, so I hope he doesn't mind if I share them with you guys.  

The rear really looks nice Rex.  I can't hardly wait to see the car done :!:  :!:

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

That's my next project, assembling a quick change. Today I finished the trans, and painted it. Gears from 2 trans to make one, new bearings and bushings, rebuilt the shifter, rebushed the clutch shaft. Should work like new.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

This seems to be a good place to add this item that I have never seen anywhere else. This is something I saw in the cast-offs of an old "Dirt Tracker" years ago (45?). One of the features of the old "Banjo" style rear ends is if you put them together backwards (ring gear on the other side of the pinion) they will work in the opposite direction. The reason a "Quick Change" works is even though the gears reverse the direction of the pinion it is now behind the ring gear and the direction changes cancel each-other out. The "Quick Change" gears are made to fit the spline on the front of the pinion and then the partner gear is made to run against it off the end of the jackshaft which is the same spline count so that the gear set can be can be flopped to give you yet another ratio. Now what I saw, and it was a casting which leads me to believe that it was manufactured rather than a "One Off".  This was a "Quick Change" that mounted to the front of the "Banjo" and evidently used the same kind of "Quick Change" gears but would have run with the ring gear flopped over. The closed drive shaft tube had been shortened about 3" (it was still on it) to allow the depth of this casting and there evidentaly was a bearing in it to handle the end if the driveshaft. It would have had a male/male splined piece to go from the driveshaft coupling to the spline in a "Quick Change" gear and the companion gear would have just gone on the spline on the front of the pinion.  There was some kind of slotted arrangement on the casting so the proper mating between the two "Quick Change" gears could be achieved and of coarse with the ring gear flopped in the "Banjo" this would have accomplished the rotation change neatly. Most of this reasoning has come about over the years of mechanical knowledge to a 16 year old's inquisitive mind. Of course there are a few more questions that have surfaced putting other ideas with this. Because matching gear sets are figured around the distance between the gears, because you could chage the distance between the center of the gears wouldn't you be able come up with more ratios wth the same selection of gears? Couldn't you do this with sprockets rather than gears (4X4 transfer case) and build this type of thing that wouldn't need you change the rotation of the pinion ( the front of a 9" comes to mind)? Nap time, GPster

1FATGMC

Quote from: "GPster"Nap time, GPster

Joe it might be "nap time" for you, but I doubt your brain ever takes a nap :D  :D  :!:  :!:  Interesting memories there.  Reminded me of something I had.

I had a device to pick up loose hay from windrows when I had my place in Wyoming.  I think they called them "droovies" or something like that.  They would take a truck usually, in my case a late 40's 1-2 ton Chevy, and strip it to the frame.  Then they would mount a seat backwards facing the rear of the vehicle which became the front.  In the back, the new front, they mounted all kinds of hydraulic cylinders that operated a huge bucket type looking device with long teeth out the front.  They turned the rear-end over, like what you are talking about, so the forward gears actually made the truck now go backwards, which was now forward.  You would drive down the windrow of hay and lower the bucket so it was sliding on the ground and picking up hay as you drove along.  When it was full you raised the bucket, drove over to the hay stack and dumped the hay.

It was fun and challenging to drive.  You were driving, no power steering, the steering was really quick as the turning wheels were at the back of the vehicle, you were operating the hydraulics to lower and raise the bucket and change the angle of it, the shift pattern was backwards and on mine the brakes no longer worked, so you would dump the bucket on the ground to stop or slow down.  The other problem was about the time you got the hang of it you had all the hay picked up (I only had about 14 acres and it was dry land hay so not much) and you parked it till the next year and hoped it would start and run again.  I got mine for I think $300 and it was pretty wore out.  A friend of mine had one powered by an "A" motor (really old), but worked better than mine.  Mine was really huge.

Nap time :wink: ,

Sum

Rex Schimmer

As I under stand it Hildabrand made an option on their quick change that would put the pinion on the other side of the ring gear and there fore make it a "reverse" direction quick change. I think that these were used when Hildabrand was making two speed  units for Indy and also if you happened to actually mount the motor in the rear or did a front wheel drive setup.

You need to be a little careful on the type of ring and pinion that you do this to as the early Ford, which is a "spiral bevel" style of gear doesn't care but a 9 inch which is a "hypoid bevel" doesn't like being ran in "reverse"

Sum, we called our "droovies" a hay sweep. They were a lot of fun, ours had a flat head in it and fliping the diff was easy. I even put straight pipes on it so it made big noise, don't know why I never set something on fire!

Rex

You can take the boy out of the country but you'll never get the cow sh-t off his shoes!!!

GPster

It's amazing how you can see these ideas and think that they are somewhat proper to an area where they had a pracital application. I remember a backwards vehicle like that (actually the same place as the psuedo quick change and owned by the same person) and this is in the New York metropolitan area. The one I remember was and old Chevy car (about'46) that had the body cut off of it except the floor and firewall/cowl. The windshields where gone so you drove it by sitting on top of the cowl with your legs hanging through the windshield opening and over the dash and steered it through the opening. It was a 2 man operation as someone sat on a box where the driver's seat was and worked the pedals without having any idea where he was going. It was used to haul trash from around a private swiming pond, picnic area where the need for a truck with a bed (or a cab) would have been a waste. Driving it was like a fork truck after some practise allowed you to get the floor and back end of the vehicle close to the trash can in question and the pedal operator could run and dump the can and settle back on his box because the driver couldn't put it in gear and give it gas enough to leave without him. Also the pedal guy could steer while backing (? forewarding) This was the creation of the part owner/costodian of the pond. He also happened to be the dirt track racer and his car was garaged here also so it could be scene when he was working on it. Things change. The last "Banjo" style rear end that I owned was junked because someone needed the pinion gear to fix his "post hole digger". Now to get the water running to the kitchen sink again before the WIFE gets home. GPster

1FATGMC

Quote from: "GPster"The one I remember was and old Chevy car (about'46) that had the body cut off of it except the floor and firewall/cowl. The windshields where gone so you drove it by sitting on top of the cowl with your legs hanging through the windshield opening and over the dash and steered it through the opening. It was a 2 man operation as someone sat on a box where the driver's seat was and worked the pedals without having any idea where he was going. GPster

One other thing that I think I remember about mine was the steering was backwards.  You steered right to go left.  Confusing at first, but you got use to it.  Not bad in the field where there was a lot of operating room if you screwed up, but I remember driving it from town 14 miles was a challenge since the bucket took up more than one lane and that was my maiden voyage with it.

Good luck with the water, Joe,

Sum

GPster

Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Joe it might be "nap time" for you, but I doubt your brain ever takes a nap :D  :D  :!:  :!:  Interesting memories there.  Reminded me of something I had.

I had a device to pick up loose hay from windrows when I had my place in Wyoming.  I think they called them "droovies" or something like that.  They would take a truck usually, in my case a late 40's 1-2 ton Chevy, and strip it to the frame.  Then they would mount a seat backwards facing the rear of the vehicle which became the front.  In the back, the new front, they mounted all kinds of hydraulic cylinders that operated a huge bucket type looking device with long teeth out the front.  They turned the rear-end over, like what you are talking about, so the forward gears actually made the truck now go backwards, which was now forward.  You would drive down the windrow of hay and lower the bucket so it was sliding on the ground and picking up hay as you drove along.  When it was full you raised the bucket, drove over to the hay stack and dumped the hay.

It was fun and challenging to drive.  You were driving, no power steering, the steering was really quick as the turning wheels were at the back of the vehicle, you were operating the hydraulics to lower and raise the bucket and change the angle of it, the shift pattern was backwards and on mine the brakes no longer worked, so you would dump the bucket on the ground to stop or slow down.  The other problem was about the time you got the hang of it you had all the hay picked up (I only had about 14 acres and it was dry land hay so not much) and you parked it till the next year and hoped it would start and run again.  I got mine for I think $300 and it was pretty wore out.  A friend of mine had one powered by an "A" motor (really old), but worked better than mine.  Mine was really huge.

Sum

GPster

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "1FATGMC"

Sum
HAD A REPLY TYPED FOR THIS AND LOST IT TOO LATE TO LOOK NOWGPster

donsrods

Rex:  Man your QC looks beautiful. Nice work.  I'm glad we got to see your cowl too. What cowl steering are you using?  I like the pocket you formed into the side , probably to accomodate the end of the steering arm?

Really nice work.

Beading looks good too.

Don

Rex Schimmer

Don,
I am using Schroeder midget steering with the big ratio, which I don't remember right now! anyway you are right that the slot is for clearance for the steering arm. I have made the steering arm on the front spindle such that the drag link connects directly above the spot where the radius rod connects to the front axle and to my way of thinking the drag link needs to be in the same plane, vertically, as the radius rod. So to get the drag link over far enough to be directly above the radius rod I needed to cut  a "smile" in the cowel panel. Probably doesn't really matter but it makes me feel good! Once I get it all together I'll try some more pictures.
You might be intrested in the way I mounted the Schroeder box also so I will try to do some pics of that also.

Thanks for the interest.

Rex

Dirk35

The rear end is Awesome! Just plain beautiful.

I like the firewall too. Did you do it yourself? Do you not need any recess for engine clearance?