Quality Garage Time

Started by 34ford, March 01, 2006, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Been working on the car at a maddening pace the last month. Summers comming and it will be on the road this summer. Haven't been doing much but checking out the forum lately as I'm been in the garage.

Finally got to put some primer on the old girl. Finally done fitting, filling, sanding, sanding filling, and more sanding. Set up the garage for spraying in the back section where i added on a 16x24 addition. Made a filter system by cutting some holes in some cardboard and hot glueing some pleated furnace filters on it and hinged 2 panels in the middle so it can be folded in half and stored out of the way. I have a silver tarp that is set up like an old bamboo shade that can be rolled up out of the way when I don't want to block that section of the garage off.

To pull the air through the garage I took an old squirrel cage blower from a  furnace and installed it in an old slab door I had. It fits in the door opening that goes out the back of the garage nice and snug. Once the blower is turned on there is a nice air flow through the new paint booth.

Used my new Harbor F gun to lay on the primer with a 1.7 tip and worked great. (thanks Sum) Used a new primer, Omni 241 which is like spraying liquid body filler. Sprays nice and turns rock hard and sands easy.  Here some pictures and the parts in the "booth".  :D   Should be able to have the body in primer this weekend too.

EMSjunkie

"Necessity is the mother of invention"

Good job Dude!!!  8)  8)

I'm trying to shoot primer myself, you rent that booth out?  :roll:

post some pix when you get the color on.  :D

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

blksheep

YEO,..........ford guy.
Picture # 2.

Dat ain't what da mean dar,  bout blowin somebodys doors off!

Somebody close to him, straightin him up before he slumps over again.

blksheep...."Blower motors gotta suck first, ain't da???"...in Charlotte

34ford

QuoteI'm trying to shoot primer myself, you rent that booth out?

Dat ain't what da mean dar, bout blowin somebodys doors off!

Bring er on up Vance, booth is open  :D

Can only do one door at a time :shock: need a longer cord

EMSjunkie

Bring er on up Vance, booth is open  :D

COOL  8)  8)

what hours does your painter work?

hopefully it will be in color by the end of the month.  :?  :roll:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

BFS57

Hello;
Man, I wish I had that much room for my cars! Looks like good and flexible space for many uses. A friend of mine does about the same thing with his 2 car car port with plastic sheeting and furnace filters.
Tell me more about the primer you mentioned. I want to do my 57 Chevy and that car is a little rough. I'm thinking a total bead blast before paint, but if the primer works like you said that would be good to use for that car. Is it a two part mix, or just thin and spray?
Bruce

Looking good Bob! Are you doing the swap meet next weekend?If it works out and you're available...I'd love to stop by and check out the Coupe.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

34ford

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
I'm thinking a total bead blast before paint, but if the primer works like you said that would be good to use for that car. Is it a two part mix, or just thin and spray?
Bruce

Bruce,

It paints right out of the can with a tube of clear hardner per qt. No flash time to spray. It has a 50 to 70 minute pot life. That is true, I know 1st hand. I had some in the gun and decided to tape off some other parts since there was a little left in the gun. Well needless to say it took way longer to prep the stuff to spray and it turned solid in the gun :shock: .
That was fun cleaning it out.

Here's an article on a friends web site that shows it and talks about it:
http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=740

Here's the PPG page to go to then scroll down and click on the product sheet for MX241 and it will give you the data sheet:
http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/phase1/frmFindProduct.asp

It will need a sealer sprayed over it before paint cause it is like a fill primer.

bob

34ford

Quote from: "40"Looking good Bob! Are you doing the swap meet next weekend?If it works out and you're available...I'd love to stop by and check out the Coupe.

Darrell,

I will probably go out on Saturday to check it out. I will be around Sunday after 12 noon. Give me a call and we can plan on it. Car is in pieces now. going to take the frame down for powder coating next week if all works out. Will PM you some phone #'s

bob