Keep your rod safe at motels

Started by sy454, March 01, 2006, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sy454

What kind of things do you do to keep your rod from being stolen when your at a motel for the night besides sleeping in it.I'm buying my first rod don't want to see 50 grand drive away in the night. :(

chopped

I never park it off by itself, try to be where I can see it. Have a battery disconnect in the car and lock the doors.

alchevy

First thing...Insure it well with an agreed value so if it is stolen, you will get a nice check.

If you are at a motel where a car show is taking place or a host hotel, they should have security throughout the night keep an eye on things. Ask if they do.

Park in well lighted areas of the parking lot.

Cars do get stolen, but don't let that stop ya from going. Does the car have a security system on it?

Last option: Put it inside a locked trailer with the words: "Alagator & Snake Farm" written on the outside.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

purplepickup

I wired mine for an alarm that has it's own power source and disables the ignition when it goes off.  And yes, it has gone off at two different motels.  One in Albuquerque and one in Victorville, CA.  Both times the people were drunk and the alarm scared them off.  I don't know if they were trying to steal it or just falling on it.  

That's a big concern for me because I travel alone a lot and am always in unfamiliar territory.  I try to get a ground floor room and park as close to the room as possible.  I've heard that some people also use a baby monitor so that they can hear things going on around the car.  

Travelling with a Harley causes many sleepless nights at motels too.  If the door is big enough, it goes in the room with me.

It's too bad you can't LEGALLY carry a gun and just shoot thieves.
George

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "sy454"What kind of things do you do to keep your rod from being stolen when your at a motel for the night besides sleeping in it.I'm buying my first rod don't want to see 50 grand drive away in the night. :(

You can pull the ignition fuse and the fuel pump fuse if you have the electric pump.  No one would steal what I drive so it is not a problem.  I once thought about making a device that I could lock the front hubs but knowing me I would probably try to drive off without removing it.  I though that maybe a hole through the rotor that a pad lock motorcyle wheel lock would work.

I have heard of trailer cars that were stolen by taking the truck, trailer and streetrod as a package.   Another reason not to trailer a car.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

1FATGMC

First if they want to steal it bad enough it is gone.  Guys (one of my wife's sons) make a living repossessing cars and do it all the time.

Two and this one is for you John, thinking no one wants your ride doesn't take care of it either.  In college, in Wyoming, I had a $75.00 1946 Matchless motorcycle stolen from the dorm parking lot in the middle of winter one night when it was -20 below.  I don't know how they got it started as it was almost impossible to start even when it was 20 above.  Obviously the guy must of been drunk to want to ride it in the night in 20 below weather.  It couldn't of been a gal, they are smarter than that 8) .  It was recovered a couple days later in a different part of town.  Also some people will just steal it for a joy ride and end up wrecking it.  The worst thing is when they steal it for a few parts they might be able to sell and destroy the remainder of the car.

Since I travel a lot by myself like George I've worried a lot about it also.  I have insurance, but worry it might not be good enough.  I tried the alarm thing and still have one in the vehicle (unhooked), but it was always going off with false readings and I got tired of going out of the motel room at 3 in the morning to turn it off.

I have a keyed battery disconnect that gives me a sense of security for those that don't have a roll-back at their disposal.  I usually leave the dog, Shush, in the cab.  She likes to sleep in there, but I worry about somebody doing her in to steal the truck and that would be hard to live with.

The other option I use a lot is that I don't sleep in it, but behind it and hooked to it in the teardrop.  I feel safest this way and it is a lot cheaper than a motel room :D .

But if I'm traveling without the teardrop I get a motel room and try and forget about it.  If I can I park where I can look out the room to see it.  That way when I get up in the middle of the night to pee and see it is gone I'll be rewarded with just 1/2 a nights rest :cry: .  I also try and park it right next to the office if a clerk is on duty all night.

So in the end you are at the mercy of some * you never meet and if you did you would like to kill them :x .

c ya, Sum

Mikej

I have a switch that shuts off the fuel pump.

phat rat

besides using ignition, battery, fuel pump or whatever shut-offs also back in as tight as you can to the building. This way they have be noisy and take the time to bust a window or drag it as they can't just hoist the back up and tow it away
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

48ford

Quote from: "sy454"What kind of things do you do to keep your rod from being stolen when your at a motel for the night besides sleeping in it.I'm buying my first rod don't want to see 50 grand drive away in the night. :(
I don't sleep well,but i try to park it outside the window to the room,The battery is in the trunk and A know disconects it,but if some one wants it they could just push it onto a trailer or a tow that they have standing by.
I could always have Irene sleep in it(she's always sleeping when it's on the road)!

Okiedokie

I have remote battery shut offs, with the switch well hidden and switched fuel pump shut offs. I also have them well insured. I figure I can either drive them and take the chance, or park them.  I will drive them. Years ago, when NSRA had the Nats in Columbus, I stayed at a place with all nite security. Two rods were stolen the first nite. Best to have your own security with good insurance coverage. Boy it would hurt to loose one though. Joe

parklane

Quote from: "purplepickup"

Travelling with a Harley causes many sleepless nights at motels too.  If the door is big enough, it goes in the room with me.

That's another nice thing about riding a Honda, it's still there in the morning :D

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Glen

Quote from: "purplepickup"

Move to Arizona, I carry daily.  Open carry is still legal and concealed carry is legal with a permit that requires a two day course.......you still cant shoot them though, that would be excessive.

I use a kill switch with a key, a battery disconnect switch and with the air ride down the frame sits on the pavement.....addd  a cover to keep nosey people from getting nosey.

sy454

Thanks guys some great ideas.I like the shoot them idea but at my age Jail isn't in my future.Maybe a battery shut off and a chain around my ankle attached to the car. :) Thanks for you input.

chopped

Quote from: "sy454"Thanks guys some great ideas.I like the shoot them idea but at my age Jail isn't in my future.Maybe a battery shut off and a chain around my ankle attached to the car. :) Thanks for you input.
That gave me an idea. string attached to car, runs into room and tied to a bell. I think I"ll sell them on E-Bay.

tomslik

Quote from: "purplepickup"I wired mine for an alarm that has it's own power source and disables the ignition when it goes off.  And yes, it has gone off at two different motels.  One in Albuquerque and one in Victorville, CA.  Both times the people were drunk and the alarm scared them off.  I don't know if they were trying to steal it or just falling on it.  

That's a big concern for me because I travel alone a lot and am always in unfamiliar territory.  I try to get a ground floor room and park as close to the room as possible.  I've heard that some people also use a baby monitor so that they can hear things going on around the car.  

i USED to worry, now i don't.
'course i don't seem to get to go anywhere.... :cry:

about the harley, i just carry good insurance.
it can be replaced...

most of the time i just drive crap that nobody WANTS to be seen in...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list