Remember the 'youngest rodder'?

Started by 32 Chevy, March 01, 2006, 12:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n.c.rodder

Quote from: "youngest rodder"My next project is going to college, so I'll have to put hotrodding on the back burner for a while.

Kyle,
Great job on the truck! Go get an education, we'll be waiting for you when you get done! We definitely need more young guys like you.

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

kb426

TEAM SMART

grandpa

Quote from: "enjenjo"Glad to see he made it to the end. It looks better than my first ride, and most of them since then :lol:
Enjenjo,  We have solved most of the problems with Kyle's truck.  The only problem remaining is the speedometer.  It doesn't move when connected to the tranny.  It moves when the cable is spun by hand. The cable fits the tranny properly.  Thanks,  Grandpa

kb426

Is the speedo drive turning reverse from the direction necessary to make the speedo work?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

My guess, the speedo gear is stripped.  Either the gear where it runs on the tailshaft, or the square socket that the cable fits into. That's where I would look first.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

As enjenjo points out , check the drive gears for the speed-O....

depending on the type of  tranny in the truck the internal gears are different ie; both are  plastic or metal and plastic
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

32 Chevy

BTW Kyle is running a rock crusher 3 speed Saginaw so he's basically using it as a 2 speed manual. That 350 with the 'Vette intake has so much torque that he just starts in 2nd, even on a hill.

Hint; does anyone have a 4  speed Saginaw (preferably overdrive 4th) laying around that they want to part with? Cheap? We can rebuild it if necessary. A shifter would be handy, too...

Thanks,

Dave R

grandpa

Quote from: "enjenjo"My guess, the speedo gear is stripped.  Either the gear where it runs on the tailshaft, or the square socket that the cable fits into. That's where I would look first.
We checked the gear that the cable goes into and it is totally flat.  It looks like the gear is worn down.  It is a steel gear. Is there a source for theses gears?  I guess we will have to take the rear of the tranny of to see if the matching gear is damaged as well.
Thanks again for you help.  Grandpa