Remember the 'youngest rodder'?

Started by 32 Chevy, March 01, 2006, 12:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32 Chevy

Those of you who have been around the RRT for a few years might remember my posts about my young neighbor, Kyle, who at age 14 decided he liked the hot rod stuff I was doing and wanted to build his own. Well, with a bit of guidance from me, some kindness in donations from the members of the RRT, and  help from his grandad he has accomplished quite a bit. At age 14 he bought a beat up 50 chev pickup, started to do a complete frame off and now 6 years later was able to drive it for the first time. Check this out..... He and his grandad did every bit of the work except spraying the paint.

He wants to pass along his appreciation for the parts and advice that helped make this happen. So thanks to everyone!

Dave Robertson aka 32 chevy and Kyle Haslam

enjenjo

Glad to see he made it to the end. It looks better than my first ride, and most of them since then :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Sean

Looks pretty good. :D

He's doing better than me. I have a tendency to put a stout motor in something, get it on the road, then get tired of messing with it and never finish the body work or paint. If I had enjenjo's money, I would just pay somebody to do it for me... :wink:

Scrap Fe

Dave,

It appears you completed a successful "passing of the torch" to Kyle.  Congratulations to Kyle and his grandpa.  I'd be proud to have that sit in my drive way.

phat46

Wow, that really is a nice truck. tell him congratulations! Is it just me or is the truck missing an eyebrow!??   :lol:

1FATGMC

That is great.  Not many youngsters his age, or for that matter any age,  would stick with a project that long to completion.  I wouldn't have.

I hope he gets a lot of enjoyment from it.

c ya, Sum

donsrods

Great story, and you and the Grandpa should be proud of yourselves for helping him get this done.

A lot of people would have been too busy to take this time and effort, but you guys didn't.  Maybe it is time for Kyle to return the favor by coaching some other 14 year old to do the same thing?  Who knows, he could save some kid from going down the wrong path.

Really nice, classy looking truck too.

Don

Crosley.In.AZ

congrats to the pair.

dang neat color on the truck
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Good Job! One less rice rocket on the road!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Dave

Quote from: "32 Chevy"Those of you who have been around the RRT for a few years might remember my posts about my young neighbor, Kyle, who at age 14 decided he liked the hot rod stuff I was doing and wanted to build his own. Well, with a bit of guidance from me, some kindness in donations from the members of the RRT, and  help from his grandad he has accomplished quite a bit. At age 14 he bought a beat up 50 chev pickup, started to do a complete frame off and now 6 years later was able to drive it for the first time. Check this out..... He and his grandad did every bit of the work except spraying the paint.

He wants to pass along his appreciation for the parts and advice that helped make this happen. So thanks to everyone!

Dave Robertson aka 32 chevy and Kyle Haslam
]

Very nice and congrats to both of you, a job well done
Dave

EMSjunkie

Pat that boy on the back for me.

what a great story, with a very happy ending.

hope you can keep him focused in the right direction.
looks like he has alot of potential.

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

bucketmouth

Gee great job,wish I could have been as lucky at his age. 8)
That's the type of story you would like to read about in the mags instead of the hi dollar cars all the time.
Now he's got rodding in his blood what's his next project?
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

rumrumm

Accomplishing something like that  speaks volumes as to this young man's spirit and determination. He's a glowing  example to those kids who just sit on their butts and play video games. Three cheers . . . !!!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

youngest rodder

Hey Everyone,

Thanks to everybody for their support.  This was a long project that I couldn't have finished without the support of my family, friends(mainly 32 Chevy), and all of the people who gave me parts, advice, and the kudos I needed to keep at it.  Thank you.  My next project is going to college, so I'll have to put hotrodding on the back burner for a while.  I have some great ideas for my next vehicle though and I might be able to convince my grandpa to do it all over again.

Thanks again everybody for all of your support!

Youngest Rodder
       AKA
 Kyle Haslam

alchevy

Quote from: "40"One less rice rocket on the road!

That was good! I hear some people say from time to time that we have to accept rice rockets and such at our car events because they can't afford these old cars...that's a bunch of lies! I have a job that supports me and my car hobby and I don't have anywhere near the $$ value in my '40 that these kids have in these other new cars. It's either their parent's money or illegal what they are doing to get the funds to support their (if ya want to call it) hobby. If they have worked for it at a job, then I want to know what career field they are in.

There is cool & there is KOOL with class and the old cars and trucks have a certain appeal to them that cannot be matched in anything else. This is one slick pickup you have Kyle. Keep doing what ya are doing...as in Starting and old Tradition!
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com