Finally back

Started by sirstude, March 23, 2004, 10:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Hi all,

After about 5500 miles on the road the last 2 weeks I have come home to roost.  Had a great time.  Denise, I hate to admit, I only got a couple of pictures taken,  too busy enjoying everything to take out the camera.  I have always had that problem.

Vegas:

Headed out after work on Wednesday and drove to Pocatello, snow and ice the last 200 miles and then blue skys.  Got up on Thursday and 3 inches of snow.  Fought the weather snow, rain, and wind for the next 400 miles until we go to Arazona., beautiful in Vegas.

We went to qualifying on Friday, with seats down front and got to see Gordon hit the wall a ton.  He said he was out of control from turn 1 on and hit it comming out of turn 4.  Every car is about as close to the wall comming out of 4 as you can believe.  Went to the Outlaws on Friday night.  Those guys know how to put on a show!  I can see why Kinser has been the champion 18 times.  32 cars were there and 28 qualified.  The top 4 cars from Thursday don't have to qualify or heat race.  The Qualifying sessions are just unbelievable.  The "Dude" Danny Lasosky (sp), set a new track record at 13.793 for a half mile.  There are 2 cars on the track at a time during qualifying, different than any other sprint race I have ever seen.  In the main, Kinser was lapping cars after 4 or 5 lapes, and no one there was slow.  He is just a master in traffic.  His son is pretty good too, must be in the genes.  The race on Sunday, was a bit of a disapointment,  The new tire rule makes for 8 or 10 laps of passing and then 30 laps of follow the leader.  Still was an experience that I would not trade for anything.  Junior was not in the race at all and would go behind the wall for several laps at a time to make major changes.  Every time he would come out of the garage, the crowd would just go crasy, I have never seen anything like it.  He is hotter than a rock star.  
Got home on Tuesday. and the next adventure started.  The roads were very nice this way, no snow, wind, or rain.

Southern Ca.

Wednesday moring, got up to 3 inches of ice and snow.  Sounds kind of familier doesn't it? The wife says I WILL be taking my 4x4 instead of the van!  The snow only lasted about 30 miles and then nice roads from then on.  The same roads I just drove, the day before.  Got to vegas and it is "In and Out" burger time.  The first of many.  Got in to Annaheim around Midnight and crashed.  Went to Dagels shop on Thursday, hit harbor freight and several other places.  Went over to Ron Ceridano's shop and checked out all of his project cars including the Ford in a Ford in this months Street Rodder.  More fun coming for the next issue, Fords don't fit in Fords. Friday went to the March Meet and it was great.  Check out Don's photos for more.  Saturday we went to the "Donut Delinquents".
Gary keeps telling us it is winter down there and only about 300 cars were there.  We then went to Crystal Cove and saw another 300 or 400 cars.  I have never seen so many Italian sports cars ( never could spell that F car).  Sunday went to the Long Beach swap meet, another huge thing.  We did a few more things, but my mind is gone now.  Great 4 days!  Good to be home though.

Final item.  I had noticed a vibration in the back of the Impala this summer and was going to replace the wheel bearings this week.  Pulled the rear cover off and almost all of the teeth on the ring gear were gone.  I don't know when it happened and how it was still moving, but it was.  It is amazing what 500 inches will do to a 12 bolt.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

HotRodLadyCrusr

Glad to hear your home safe and sound.  We did miss you.
Sounds like you had an awesome trip.  Now get back out in the garage and finish up your Olds!  At this rate I might beat you to shiney paint  :lol:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.