Registering a rod in ca

Started by sy454, February 21, 2006, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sy454

Guy's I need some help.I want to buy a 32 Ford Vicky in Colorado.The car has a Downs fiberglass body and aftermarket frame.It has a clean 1932 title from Colorado.Can I register this car in Ca or is it a considered a specially constructed vechicle.When I read the definition of a specially constructed vech it doesn't seem to fit into that category.I have one person from DMV tell me it is a specially constructed Veh and another that said i won't have any problem getting the car Reg.The car is 50,000.00 and i don't want to make the big mistake. Any help would be great

As I recall....Boyd was arrested by the Feds for licensing fiberglass cars with original VIN's and titles....perhaps it had something to do with the taxes....Not sure how it all turned out....perhaps someone else can be of more help! Here,we are required to have a VIN issued by the DMV for Fiberglass cars......I know lots of them that have been licensed as originals but I think they are beginning to look at it more closely.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

unklian

They are cracking down BIG time in Calif.

I know of one guy who has had his plates pulled.The car appeared
in a magazine;the wrong people saw it and figured out it had a custom chassis and fiberglas body,so it shouldn't be registered as a Model T.

Boyd can tell you where to get the info to register your car legally.
Seriously.It's part of the Community Service for his Fraud conviction.

Leon

A friend of mine just got one of those 500 registrations that California allows each year for specially constructed vehicles under SB100.  He got somewhere around number 450 and the local DMV got through at 11 AM the first business day of the year to get it.  They go fast if you have to get it registered that way.

MrMopar64

If it's already titled in Colorado just bring it in and transfer title to Calif.
Just make sure you declair the value and pay the taxes....... Thats where Boyd got in trouble not declairing the current value of the car there for paying less tax.......
Ca.= $$$$$$

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

sy454

Thanks Guys.I talked to Boyd today and he says with a clean title just take the car to a dealer who can verify the vin and you can register the car.The gal at dmv didn't care if it was a kit car she said if it has a colorado title for a 32 ford that it could be registered.I wonder if the manufacture date could screw up the process?With all the horror stories I wonder if this is the real scoop?

MrMopar64

The thing that should save you all the hassel of Ca. is the fact that it "is" titled in Co........ Just pay all the taxes  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

sy454

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sy454

Yea,I go on Friday to look at the car and drive it.Don't know if i'll buy it .One of my friends hates Glass cars and says i should only buy Steel.I'm not much of a purest.What is fast and looks good is what I want.He seems so * that I would buy a glass car.Oh well.[/quote]

slocrow

sy454, I followed and read about that Calif registration debacle extensively recently. I believe your gathered information re the registration of an out of state vehicle in CA is correct. The pre registration inspection checks the match of the body, frame and engine number to make sure they "match" and also checks for a stolen vehicle.
It was a problem with the loss of tax money for understating the true value of the vehicle that caused the problem. That and the fact that the Alabama company washing the titles, stated in it's ad copy, how to make sure you could establish a lower dollar figure for the purpose of paying less in taxes.
With regards to a completely new part, car; you may be on to something there as I believe you would commit perjury, if when asked for the manufacture date you chose sometime in 32. I believe that's why a lot of Calif rods are constructed with a year correct major part like the firewall, so as to avoid that trap. Just what is a major part is very subjective so that may be your wiggle room.
Those are my thoughts and I'm not a trained attorney............Frank
PS: I believe I have just as much fun in my glass car as I would have in a metal one. And if it's metal, does it have to be original? And the beat goes on!
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

MrMopar64

Quote from: "slocrow"sy454, I followed and read about that Calif registration debacle extensively recently. I believe your gathered information re the registration of an out of state vehicle in CA is correct. The pre registration inspection checks the match of the body, frame and engine number to make sure they "match" and also checks for a stolen vehicle.
It was a problem with the loss of tax money for understating the true value of the vehicle that caused the problem. That and the fact that the Alabama company washing the titles, stated in it's ad copy, how to make sure you could establish a lower dollar figure for the purpose of paying less in taxes.
With regards to a completely new part, car; you may be on to something there as I believe you would commit perjury, if when asked for the manufacture date you chose sometime in 32. I believe that's why a lot of Calif rods are constructed with a year correct major part like the firewall, so as to avoid that trap. Just what is a major part is very subjective so that may be your wiggle room.
Those are my thoughts and I'm not a trained attorney............Frank
PS: I believe I have just as much fun in my glass car as I would have in a metal one. And if it's metal, does it have to be original? And the beat goes on!

I would think that most if not all of that would have been taken care of when the car was reg in Co.  :?  or the first time it was reg where ever that was.........

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

slocrow

MM64; Yes but; You're referring to the number check that I referred too, I imagine. I think Calif, like Ohio, want's it's own check done just to verify that the title number matches the car and that the car brought in is indeed the one they are registering. Therefore there is the required visual inspection by a qualified agent. Not to be confused with a DMV officer. A friendly dealership is the best place to go for this verification because of the presumed motor change and the doubt that both the body and the frame are stamped. ......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...