Ebay Crooks

Started by speedracer, February 16, 2006, 11:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedracer

Hey guys, yall probably are already aware of all the * crooks on ebay. I just finished selling my street rod 36 Olds on the auction and while doing so ran into a bunch of crooks.  One of the ways there scamming is waiting for a item that does'nt sell, then imediatly contact the highest bidder and offer him a second chance to buy. These guys are usally oversea's when they do this, and it works both ways too.  They'll put a car on the auction at a ridulous low price and when you bid on it they close the auction early and contact you, wanting you to send them a refundable deposit for the car and explain that they'll ship the car free to you and that the deal will be handled by ebay square deal to prevent fraud (if you look up square deal you'll see all the people that have been ripped off) So anyway I sold my Eleanor (Dr bills piling up) but I'm sure I'll find another.  Just be super careful when using E-Bay!
Thanks, Johnny

rumrumm

Sorry you had to sell your rod, Johnny. Hope you are on the mend and well on your way to a complete recovery.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

speedracer

Quote from: "rumrumm"Sorry you had to sell your rod, Johnny. Hope you are on the mend and well on your way to a complete recovery.
Thanks Lynn, Yea after all the crap to get it then sell it.  Guess I should have known that Sue was'nt or is'nt going to get any better and I'd have the time and money to continue on with it.  One thing for sure I will have another one, I've learned alot thanks to guys like you and the others.  And I'll make sure I have the time to play with it, its just now was and is the wrong time.  Talk to ya later, johnny aka el camino man/speedracer

donsrods

Ebay is getting scary with these scammers.  I just sold one of my boats, and the lady who was in second place sent me an email thanking me for offering her the chance to buy it, but she had found another. I wrote back that I had NOT sent her a second chance offer, but that someone else had done it.

Then two more people sent me emails telling me they had been contacted also.  We contacted Ebay, they have never even contacted me back. So much for them caring about the integrity of Ebay.

There was just a story on the news during Xmas, where two people set up a company, and did business on Ebay for a year, and racked up like 350 positive feedbacks. Then this Xmas, they advertised tons of items, like electonics, I think, and ended up skipping out with about $ 180,000.00 worth of peoples money.  Evidently they had been planning this score for the past year, and since they had names that sounded middle-eastern, they are probably living like a king and queen back in their foreign country.

Sad part is, they were right down the road from me in Naples, Florida.

I've heard stories of some 13 year old kid  hijacking your Ebay account and taking peoples money somehow.  Makes you afraid to trust anyone.

Dpn

unklian

I've had good luck with stuff under $100.
Anything $100 or more has been trouble. :roll:

One guy with 350+ positive feed backs seems to
have disappeared with my parts and money. :shock:
Not really a lot of money,but oddball parts
that are not so easy to find.Very discouraging.

--------------

Now I have a buch of stuff to sell,not sure
it is going to be worth the hassle.

58 Yeoman

About a year ago, I 'remodeled' my puter room, which included taking down the inside wooden shutters, and putting up mini blinds.  Last week, I listed the 6 pairs of shutters on ebay for $9.95 each set.  Ended up getting $32 each for a total of $192, from a woman near Chicago.  She was real pleased with them when she came yesterday to pick them up.  I guess I haven't priced shutters lately.  I've have only a few problems in the eight years that I've been selling on ebay.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

donsrods

I agree with 58 Yeoman about the fact you can get more money than you ever could locally, by using Ebay.  I am an Ebay-aholic, and have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff over the 3 years I've been doing it.

Every fall I list some of my hot rod or marine items I no longer need, and I usually end up with about $ 2000. to $ 3000.00 cash, which I use for "mad money" that my two Sons and I blow at the Turkey Run in Daytona every November. It is money I don't have to take out of savings, and I don't feel bad about spending every cent of it because it is money I didn't really have anyway, it was just some old parts laying around.

I too have had great luck, and have only been stung once, but only for about $ 30.00. (Some 17 year old in Chicago who figured out a way to make a few bucks listing stuff and never shipping it)  But I love Ebay, and it has enabled me to find some parts I wouldn't have been able to find anywhere else.

Just last night I bought another '29 Ford headlight bar (I only have 3 now) because some day I may need another one, and it went for $ 26.00.  Next fall I'll probably sell it as part of my Daytona slush fund. Maybe I'll get $27.00, who knows !    :D  :D

But like I said in my first post, you have to be careful and look at who you are sending your money to.

Don

speedracer

Quote from: "donsrods"I agree with 58 Yeoman about the fact you can get more money than you ever could locally, by using Ebay.  I am an Ebay-aholic, and have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff over the 3 years I've been doing it.

Every fall I list some of my hot rod or marine items I no longer need, and I usually end up with about $ 2000. to $ 3000.00 cash, which I use for "mad money" that my two Sons and I blow at the Turkey Run in Daytona every November. It is money I don't have to take out of savings, and I don't feel bad about spending every cent of it because it is money I didn't really have anyway, it was just some old parts laying around.

I too have had great luck, and have only been stung once, but only for about $ 30.00. (Some 17 year old in Chicago who figured out a way to make a few bucks listing stuff and never shipping it)  But I love Ebay, and it has enabled me to find some parts I wouldn't have been able to find anywhere else.

Just last night I bought another '29 Ford headlight bar (I only have 3 now) because some day I may need another one, and it went for $ 26.00.  Next fall I'll probably sell it as part of my Daytona slush fund. Maybe I'll get $27.00, who knows !    :D  :D

But like I said in my first post, you have to be careful and look at who you are sending your money to.

Don
Yea Don, I think like you said just becareful and always remember if its to good to be true it probably is.  Also ebaying for stuff like parts and low dollar items I think are not is bad as cars etc. Thanks, Johnny

Crosley.In.AZ

I think every body has an ebay story.  I have never sold an item on ebay.

I have some one off stuff I have thought about selling on ebay for years.

I would rather deal with you guys directly on this board , people I know .

On the 1800 Goldwing board I visit , guys there have shipped items to me before I got the cheque put into the mail !
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

speedracer

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SKR8PN

They are doing that with ANYTHING they think they think they can get you to buy at a "steal" of a price........
I have even seen GOLF CARTS set up as a scam auction...... :roll:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

sal37

Fingers and toes crossed, I have had only good experiences with ebay stuff.  I have bought several thousand dollars of parts over the last two years.  The big wait is shipping because it cost so much to ship to Australia that on several occasion I have started to worry that I had been ripped off but the stuff always turns up.  There has only been one occasion where I bought something that I was not particularly happy with but that was my mistake.

Steve

TJ's Dad

While browsing through eBay (Australia) one day a couple of years back i noticed a John Deere Lawn Tractor ... almost new @ $2000.00 ... reading the add i became suspicious as it mentioned tires ( spelt tyres in Oz) and oil capacity was in quarts ( metric here) they are also known as Ride on Mowers here rather than Lawn Tractors.

Time for some fun ....... i emailed the seller showing interest but added a question " i hope this is the model with the C4 Auto and Lokar Shifter?'

Back came the reply and lo n behold it was the one i was after ... right down to the Lokar Shifter and they would pay delivery to my door .

Now Australia is quite a large place and they had no idea where i was , delivery of such an item to a remote location would far outweigh the sale price.

My next email showed growing enthusiam offering a 'few dollars extra if they'd sell it now and close the auction' .... but added .. " is this the upgraded model with the Chrome Jag Rear End ?"

My luck was in ...... it had the Jag rear ...... but a snag ... the seller had been forced to fly to Italy as his father had taken ill but if I'd deposit my funds into his bank account in Palermo his best friend would take care of delivery arrangements ... he would be pleased to close auction now and include delivery fee at $2500.00.

I wanted to continue the game but was so angry I emailed him telling him how i'd love to meet him and shove his head where the sun dont shine and then reported the activities to eBay ...... to this day i've had neither a reply from him or eBay.

I sent eBay copies of all correspondence and for months he remained a listed seller , so much for their caring of genuine vendors and purchasers.
I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

jeffa

I have never used Ebay. Probably should as I have lots of stuff I could sell.
But, I do get emails "from them" saying I have account problems and should login and verify my details (one even asked for my bank details!)
I got one recently supposedly from an irate purchaser saying I hadn't sent him goods he had bought from me..... He even gave me an ebay item listing. To access this listing I had to login....
In all cases I have forwarded the bogus emails to the Ebay security centre and in all cases I have had a reply from them. Usually not an automated response, but an email from a concerned individual. One I replied to and got another individual reply, so they DO care about misuse of their facility.