Attaching Moon Discs

Started by Normspeed, February 14, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normspeed

OK, my friend Grandadeo says I have to drill big holes through my rims and tires and put nuts inside if I want to use screw-on type moon discs.  Now he just might be pullin' my leg, so I thought I'd ask for a second opinion.  (I asked him for one, and he said, "you're ugly too")

Whats the right procedure for fastening these on?  Not the clip-on ones, the screw ons.

Thanx

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Normspeed"OK, my friend Grandadeo says I have to drill big holes through my rims and tires and put nuts inside if I want to use screw-on type moon discs.  Now he just might be pullin' my leg, so I thought I'd ask for a second opinion.  (I asked him for one, and he said, "you're ugly too")

Whats the right procedure for fastening these on?  Not the clip-on ones, the screw ons.

Thanx

The ones I ran on my old truck were put on with 3 sheet metal screws into the bead area of the rim
Never had a problem with them they had 100,000 mi on them when I junked that truck

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Normspeed"OK, my friend Grandadeo says I have to drill big holes through my rims and tires and put nuts inside if I want to use screw-on type moon discs.  Now he just might be pullin' my leg, so I thought I'd ask for a second opinion.  (I asked him for one, and he said, "you're ugly too")

Thanx

I looked at these methods while at Bonneville.  I guess you are not talking about a racecar but I will tell you what I think as it applies to what I have seen and the SCTA rules.   As I recall the rules require 3 Dzuz fasteners or 6 sheetmetal screws.  We use the sheetmetal screws on the #974 Studebaker.  They are screwed right into the rim and on into the bead of those $400.00 apiece tires.  They work fine and no problems other that the hassle of messing with all those screws each time you take the disc off.

I want to try some with the dzuz fasteners.  I will make a jig to equally space the fasteners around the inside of the bead lip of the wheel.  This will be used to tack weld the fastener retainers to the wheel.  I will have another jig to drill the holes in the disk.   I have a tool that I made that will dimple each disc where the dzuz fastener will go.  The jest of all of this is; the disc will be held on with three fasteners and that the heads will be flush with the disc.

A simpler method for the street is to find the right type of stock full hub cap.  Cut or modify the hub cap but retain the area that holds the cap to the tire rim.  Pop rivet your disc to the modified full hub cap.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Charlie Chops 1940

John - you could use the type of Dzus that has a little spring wire holding the fastener in an aluminum dimpled piece that you would pop rivet into the moon disc. The advantage is that you don't risk losing a fastener when you take the disk off. The hole for the fastener assembly is slightly larger and doesn't need to be dimpled. I think that style is called "self ejecting".

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

C9

Drill and tap the wheel for 8-32 stainless button head allens.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

PeterR

Quote from: "Normspeed"OK, my friend Grandadeo says I have to drill big holes through my rims and tires and put nuts inside if I want to use screw-on type moon discs.  Thanx

Tell him you have drilled the holes and now you want him to hold the nut inside the tire while you tighten the fastener from the outside.  :lol:

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"John - you could use the type of Dzus that has a little spring wire holding the fastener in an aluminum dimpled piece that you would pop rivet into the moon disc. The advantage is that you don't risk losing a fastener when you take the disk off. The hole for the fastener assembly is slightly larger and doesn't need to be dimpled. I think that style is called "self ejecting".

Charlie

Good idea Charlie.  Of course you would miss the fun or looking for them, but the way my days go, I find plenty of other stuff to look for.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Cword

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"John - you could use the type of Dzus that has a little spring wire holding the fastener in an aluminum dimpled piece that you would pop rivet into the moon disc. The advantage is that you don't risk losing a fastener when you take the disk off. The hole for the fastener assembly is slightly larger and doesn't need to be dimpled. I think that style is called "self ejecting".

Charlie

Definitly the right idea because you also will miss out on the fun of advising the course steward that your car has arrived missing one fastener.

The captured fastener will save a lot of down time both in the pit and for other race course users.  

Mike

PS  1149 uses 3 captured dzus per wheel, and sometimes you'd swear you have the wrong cap for the wheel you're putting on.
--

Grandadeo

OK Norm, so now you know some other ways to attach your moons.  You must have misunderstood me before.  What I ment was that you use some big honkin bolts that go all the way though both sides of the wheel and put the nut on the otherside not inside the wheel.  Anybody knows you wouldn't be able to get a wrench "inside" the wheel.  Unless of course it was liquid wrench, that might work.  But yer still ugly.

Your Pal
(who's probably lookin for a new couch to sleep on come June)
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Normspeed

Thanks guys.  I like that idea about the SS button head allens.  You're right, these are not for racing, strictly cosmetic, and lord knows my ride could use a little cosmetic help.

Lee, you still have a place to sleep as long as you help me to install the discs.  How's that sand blastin workin out for ya?[/img]

Grandadeo

For cosmetic help maybe you could paint it Mary Kay pink.  By the way, no sanblasin today.  Spent the day finding my garage floor.  And it was right where I left it, under tons of cra...stuff.  But guess what I'll be doin in the morning, yup sanblasin.  Just a few small brake parts.  Trying to get that stuff done before the body goes back on.

Elmo Rodge

Norm, if you paint that car I will hurt you. Just like I told you at the Twilight Cruise just after you got it. I do however, approve of the Moons. Wayno

Normspeed

Hey Wayno, good to hear from ya. C'mon, admit it, Mary Kay pink would really make my rust spots pop!

DRD57

If you paint that car, BAD things will happen.

Moons good.

I like the idea of drilling small holes through the rim, countersinking them from the back, and putting 10/32 machine screws in from the back. Then install the tire on the rim and attach the Moon disk with Nylock nuts. That way they don't come loose.

Grandadeo

Hey Norm, no sanblasin today either.  Boy Wonder got off work early so we took my favorite Mopar to a Magic Shop, I mean an Auto Electric Shop.  A few jumper wires, some electical gadgets, a little fairy dust, and $37.00 and now its charging.  Something about correctly setting up the regulator for 8 volts.  At least thats what the old guy said, but we knew it was magic when we saw him swinging a dead black cat over it when he didn't think we were looking.  So looks like sanblasin tomorrow unless I can think of another excuse.  As far as the MQQN project goes, how bout you find some aluminum wheels that fit the 'ol long roof.  We can mount the tires on the new wheels, put them on the wagon and then have the MQQNs heliarced to the wheels.  That way you won't have to worry about those pesky little screws comin loose.  Just a thought 'ol buddy.