Need some info on AD Chevy pickups

Started by enjenjo, February 07, 2006, 08:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I need the measurement on a stock frame from the center of the front body mount hole to the center of the front axle.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

enjenjo

Advanced Design. 47 to 54 The only one I have handy is modified, and I need the stock measurement.

OldSub

13.921 +- .125

I got this from the frame checking page in the Assembly Manual for a '54.  It doesn't have the actual measurement you want.  I calculated by taking the measurement from the front mount to the body mount, then subtracted the measurement from the body mount to the dash, and from the dash to the axle.

The front mount to body mount measurement is plus or minus 1/8th, so that's as close as I can come.  I could measure one, but I doubt I could get any closer...

Hope this helps!

http://www.oldsub.com/images/2003/03/frame.gif

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

That can't be right, looking at the one I have here, it's about 30" or so.

Maybe I am confusing you. I am talking about the front cab mount, under the floor near the front of the door.

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"That can't be right, looking at the one I have here, it's about 30" or so.

Maybe I am confusing you. I am talking about the front cab mount, under the floor near the front of the door.

I was confused, I was thinking from the mount under the radiator.

30.938 is the number I get.

That's from the center line of the axle to the center line of the two mount holes under the cab.  I calculate it by adding the distance from the mount to the dash, and then the dash to the axle.  Unfortunately they never have the actual measurements you want...

Steve@OldSub.com

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I am talking about the front cab mount, under the floor near the front of the door.
Floor? where did you find one in Ohio with a floor? Is it S10 time? Will there be pictures? Somebody, who's opinion I value, once mentioned that the front wheels are in the wrong place anyway because the wheels are not in the center of the wheel opening of the fender. GPster

enjenjo

Top secret project  :lol:

Actually it's a cab, sheet metal, and title I got out west, I didn't bring back the frame and running gear.

I'm going to build my own frame, and make a halfway clone of 1FATGMC. I am not going to section it though, but it will be channeled on a stepped frame.

That is unless someone buys it first :lol: Then I'll do it their way. :D

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"Top secret project

But you'll be posting lots of pictures as it progresses!  Right?

Steve@OldSub.com

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"I need the measurement on a stock frame from the center of the front body mount hole to the center of the front axle.

I checked one that I have and the best guess was about 30.5 inches but it was hard for me to get perpendicular to the front axle for a good measurement.  Somewhere I have all of the frame measurements.  I will try to check later.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "enjenjo"Top secret project

But you'll be posting lots of pictures as it progresses!  Right?

Yes. I want this one too low for running boards. :lol:

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"I want this one too low for running boards.

Too low for running boards...  Will you be trimming the lower trailing edge of the front fenders and the lower leading edge on the rears?

My plan is to 'raise' the running boards about 1.5 inch relative to the cab and modify the fenders to fit the running boards.

Steve@OldSub.com

GPster

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I want this one too low for running boards.
My original plan with mine was to leave the fenders stock and raise them up so that the bottom of the fenders was the same height as the bottom of the doors. Then "pancake the hood to bring it back down to the top of the cowl. Then raise the bed up so the back fenders were the same as the bottom of everything else. I think those cabs are smaal enough without sectioning or channeling them. The doors could stand to be stretched in width (front to back) to make the cab a little longer and easier to get into. GPster

enjenjo

QuoteToo low for running boards... Will you be trimming the lower trailing edge of the front fenders and the lower leading edge on the rears?

Yes, the fenders I have are from a big truck, and will need trimming any way, as well as reworking the wheel opening. not sure what I'll do on the rear yet.

QuoteMy original plan with mine was to leave the fenders stock and raise them up so that the bottom of the fenders was the same height as the bottom of the doors. Then "pancake the hood to bring it back down to the top of the cowl

That is a little more than I want to go Joe.

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"Yes, the fenders I have are from a big truck, and will need trimming any way, as well as reworking the wheel opening. not sure what I'll do on the rear yet.

Those fenders are a little longer and wider than pickup fenders, in addition to the larger wheel opening.  Plus the hood and and grill that go with them are a little different too.  Wider grill, longer hood.

Do you have a plan?

Steve@OldSub.com