Aluminum transmission pan

Started by sirstude, February 05, 2006, 04:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Anyone know where to get an aluminum transmission pan for a Turbo 400 that is stock depth.  All the ones I have seen are extra capacity, which would be nice, but they hang down too low and I might drag them off when the Olds is in the down position.  Right now nothing hangs below the frame rails, but the bigger pan would.

Thanks
Doug

Ps, the aluminum pans seem to seal better.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

blksheep

I got one from Summit Racing (1-800-230-3030) not long ago. Thought the price was o.k. at $59.95. Part# SUM-433884.

blksheep...in Charlotte

shine

keep in mind aluminum pans don't dent......they exsplode and your walking. ask me how i know  :)

howdy bsheep

bigdude

Quote from: "shine"keep in mind aluminum pans don't dent......they exsplode and your walking. ask me how i know  :)

howdy bsheep
Arent you guys lost?

blksheep

Quote from: "bigdude"
Quote from: "shine"keep in mind aluminum pans don't dent......they exsplode and your walking. ask me how i know  :)

howdy bsheep
Arent you guys lost?

bigdude,.......Celebrityship,........knows no boundary.. :lol:

Howdy shine

blksheep....Often referred to as a "Royal"......pain in the a^@....in Charlotte

purplepickup

I got one of the finned aluminum ones like Hughes sells.  I whacked it pretty hard out west on a speed bump once and had a really bad feeling.  I got out to check and everything was ok.....WHEW!!  It is a larger capacity one but that particular one is built pretty solid.  

I got it hoping to get a good seal on the pan gasket but I might paint the stock one and stick it back on.  The idea of walking home from Nowheresville, USA isn't a good thought.  I do avoid speed bumps now. :idea:
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"
I got one of the finned aluminum ones like Hughes sells.  I whacked it pretty hard out west on a speed bump once and had a really bad feeling.  I got out to check and everything was ok.....WHEW!!  It is a larger capacity one but that particular one is built pretty solid.  

I got it hoping to get a good seal on the pan gasket but I might paint the stock one and stick it back on.  The idea of walking home from Nowheresville, USA isn't a good thought.  I do avoid speed bumps now. :idea:

At Hughes Performance in Phoenix Arizona we build our aluminum pans a bit thicker in the pan rail area. This helps to improve  sealing on them.

We also use a 'press mold' , this provides a better / smoother finish on the pans. They are easier to polish if wanted

Off road guys will not use aluminum pan usually  since they will break as shine points out.  The off road crowd likes steel pans.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

blksheep

If you ever see my '57 BelAir off-road,.......please, call 911 for me. :lol:

blksheep...Daddy always said...."Drivin, Son, is like coloring,.....you have to stay between the lines".........in Charlotte

mrloboy

In the early '70's I built a '47 Plymouth coupe, with a SBC in a Camaro clip. I lived in the country with questionable road conditions. I also installed a "Cal Custom" finned aluminum oil pan on the engine. Leaving home one morning (I lived on an acreage(we called them farms!) a few miles from town. I was backing out of my driveway (country trail!) when I felt a bump in the bottom of my chassis. Instinctively I shut off the ignition (Canadian country thing!) I had bumped a stone on the oil pan. Not just a crack, but the entire bottom od the sump was gone. Instant oil change! A repainted stock pan replaced that pretty CC item. Robby Gordon would be hard pressed to get accustomed to the roads in our area! :) rick

shine

i see that 57 on the side of the road i'll wait till you leave then i'm gonna snatch it. :)

blksheep

Had a wife try to snatch up my '57 once,...........But,.... she only got the chance to try it once.

Shortly after, she joined the NFL.    (Not For Long)

blksheep...Proud American...in Charlotte

sirstude

Thanks for all the info guys.  Might have to keep my eyes out for wayword 57's too.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us