Why rod's take so long to build or what I did on my 32 today

Started by nzsimon, February 04, 2006, 02:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

I am pretty fussy could be why my 32 roadster has taken 4 years so far I am up to the wiring stage armed with a kit from the US and an engine computer and a gearbox computer and a dash comput... get the picture

Anyway I just couldn't figure out a tidy way of running the wires through the firewall

Don't really need a grommet as it is fibreglass besides it would look awful

So armed with my trusty drillpress and a file I made this little billet piece to tidy up the place that the wires come out, a lick on the home polisher and it looks pretty cool

Add acouple of polished stainless button heads and this will look even better when the body actually has paint on it
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Crosley.In.AZ

looks good.

the car is gonna be dang nice when you get it finished.... about 2 more years?

:wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Pep

Only 4 years...I've been 6 and still counting..and I aint so fussy :) ...A grommet would be my choice though Simon...It would seal a lot better. Granted, not as high tech looking, but a little more practical IMHO.
See Ya
Pep

Crosley.In.AZ

If I don't get em going under their own power in 12 - 14 years i sell them.

Not too long and i will need to sell off  several cars

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

blksheep

nzsimon,
I for one, know the reason it takes builders like you and me so long to complete one. It's the outstanding l'il pieces, like your alum. wire loom cap. Not the time it takes to engineer, fit and manufacture, although this can be a lenghtly process, but, and we are all guilty of this, its the time we spend upon completion showing it off and congraduating ourselves.

O.K.,...enough of this, I gotta get back out in the garage..... :lol:

blksheep..."Self back patter Supreme"...in Charlotte

Dirk35

Quote from: "blksheep"nzsimon,
I for one, know the reason it takes builders like you and me so long to complete one. It's the outstanding l'il pieces, like your alum. wire loom cap. Not the time it takes to engineer, fit and manufacture, although this can be a lenghtly process, but, and we are all guilty of this, its the time we spend upon completion showing it off and congraduating ourselves.

Ummmm , Yeah, me too...its not because I am lazy and overly busy....Yeah thats it, thats a good reason! Im not lazy! Anyone buying this load of BS from me?  :roll:

river1

Quote from: "Dirk35"
Quote from: "blksheep"nzsimon,

Ummmm , Yeah, me too...its not because I am lazy and overly busy....Yeah thats it, thats a good reason! Im not lazy! Anyone buying this load of BS from me?  :roll:

i would but i have a unusually large load of that same BS already :?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Rex Schimmer

4 years really isn't that long when you are doing everything yourself. I am on my 5th year on my lakes roadster and do think that I will be on the road this summer,but it will not have a $10,000 paint job or $10,000 wheels and tires, it will have some unique parts, be reliable (I hope!!!) and it will be DRIVEN!!

I don't know how other guys do it but I find that because I am building so much of my car from scratch I spend allot of time just thinking about how I am going to do something, this is usually how I go to sleep at night. Once I get it thought out in my head I may make a "formal" drawing or at least a sketch and then I start screwing up metal.

I like your fire wall "penatration" and will probably steal it from you as I will also have lots of wiring.  Looks great!

Rex