LLLOOONNNGGG Road

Started by 35WINDOW, February 03, 2006, 11:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

35WINDOW

Guys,

For all of you with Rods in the build stage, has it ever seemed like it would NEVER get done? Or, it's a dream you will never realize?

I've been working on my '35 for six years now, and, while I do see progress, it sure seems like forever-maybe because I want it so bad. My problem isn't the money part (I can afford the parts but refuse to let someone else build it), it's having the time-I can only work on Saturdays on the car-anyone else feel this way?

Uncle Bob

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

tomslik

Quote from: "35WINDOW"Guys,

For all of you with Rods in the build stage, has it ever seemed like it would NEVER get done? Or, it's a dream you will never realize?

I've been working on my '35 for six years now, and, while I do see progress, it sure seems like forever-maybe because I want it so bad. My problem isn't the money part (I can afford the parts but refuse to let someone else build it), it's having the time-I can only work on Saturdays on the car-anyone else feel this way?

6 years?
you ain't even close.... :roll:
had my coupe 23 years, never seen paint even....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

donsrods

Took me 6 years to build my '27, partly money and partly trying to find original '50's kind of parts, and partly time to work on it. Plus building a car takes time............LOTS AND LOTS OF TIME.

We started building two rods last January and planned to drive them to Daytona for Turkey Run in November. No problem. Well, the last 3 months my Son was working 15-20 hour days, seven days a week to get just his car done, and still didn't make it.  Finally, one week before daytona we sat down one night, had a beer, and made the decision to stop killing ourselves. It was like a load had been taken off of his back.

There are a lot of pieces to a car, and when you are making or modifying most of them, it just doesn't happen fast.  Plus if you add in all the time you sit in the car making rump rump sounds and drinking a cold brew, that adds a couple of years to the timeframe.

And yes, it does get discouraging in the middle, so I leave it alone til it becomes fun again.

sirstude

I have been 10 years on the Olds, the Studebaker took 15.  Don't get discouraged, just enjoy the time.  I did manage to slam the Impala through so I have something to drive, but the building for me, is a lot of fun also.  I am getting where I hope to have the Olds done by the summer of 2007, there I said it.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

jaybee

"For all of you with Rods in the build stage, has it ever seemed like it would NEVER get done? Or, it's a dream you will never realize? "

Not this week.  The feeling comes and goes.  Nothing makes it go better than some progress in the garage.  If something prevents you from spending time in the garage then some solid progress on planning (even if it's all in your head) can help.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

58 Yeoman

Yep.  I've had the Pontiac for almost 6 years, and at least the frame is almost done (will have to modify the frame horns on the sub when I get the body on).  I'm finally getting to work on the body, but there are so many 'jobs' that keep popping up around the house that HAVE  to get done, that time gets to be a problem.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Scrap Fe

Most definitely.  I'm on the down hill side building my '39 Chevy I've owned for 23 years this month.  Plenty of reasons for taking this long; lack of time, money, chasing parts etc. like others have mentioned but family has always come first at our house and hot rods further down the list of priorities.

We built a '32 Ford sedan when we were first married.  That car took six years to complete but we were DINKS at that time and life was a much slower pace back in the 70's.  We drove the '32 three years and put 28,000 miles on it before we out grew it due to the arrival of our two daughters.  We sold the '32 and bought the '39 Chevy to get a trunk for luggage and more interior space.  We had no idea back in 1983 that it would take us this long to get the car where it is today.

The girls have grown, one married the other getting married this July.  We wanted to have the car done for the weddings but that didn't happen.  I've been told patience is a virtue.  

My brother-in-law's car is in the upholstery shop and should be done in a couple of weeks.  He is on year 16 building his car.

Keep the faith.  You are not alone.  The building experience makes it all worthwhile when you fire it off for the first time and take your maiden voyage around the block.

EMSjunkie

Hang in there, keep after it.

one of these days your gonna open the garage door, and realize
that you ain't got that much left to do.  8)

it took me 4 years to build my '34 Coupe.  :)

I gave myself 5 years to get it ready to paint. I was driving it in 4  :!:

shooting primer on it this weekend.  8)  :D  8)

hope to be in color next weekend.
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

alchevy

I bought my '40 Chevy in 2000. It was in original condition with paint on it. But soon it was taken apart and a street rod was in the making. Cranked it in July 2003 and two weeks later, drove it to Louisville, KY to the Nats. It still needs paint & bodywork and interior, but I'm in the fun stage of being able to drive it. Got over 17,000 miles on it since July, 2003.

I would just say to everyone to get it in driving state and cruise! A car doesn't have to be finished (are they ever??) to be fun.

It was mentioned earlier of taking that first trip around the block in a project for the first time. When the time came for my trip, I went around the block one morning before going to work, then did it again and again! That same morning.

Friends are VERY important to have while building a car. The local car club that I am in had several work meetings at my house and that helped a lot. In the club, we have folks that are best at certain parts and when they all come together to work on a project, the car is very sound. Especially since this my first one. When I did do some things myself...I would take pictures of the progress and post it on my site...the next day I would get an e-mail informing me that I had some things upside down. Most of this stuff don't have no instructions! Just think, if it did have instructions and we actually read them BEFORE, there wouldn't be a need for forums like this...but I'm glad for the need for help like this.

The thing I hear from a lot of people (with projects at home) is while they are at an event, just sitting there with friends, they are saying to themselves that they could be at home working on the project. Keep in mind that even if your project is not to the stage to drive to the car show, you can get some very usefull ideas from folks there, by talking to them about their cars. This sometimes is just what you needed to get back interested in a project.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

kb426

I'm one of those crazies that are very driven when in the "finish mode" My wife would tell you I'm very determined. I also have a shop full of equipment and reasonable skills to match. Depending on where you fit in, multiple years is not a problem. I'm about to start on my 37 pickup. It's rusted big time. The frame is ugly. There is nothing good. I'd like to be driving by the end of the summer. Probably won't happen, but that's my plan. As for the " drink a beer" comment. I'm finding this to be more common than in my earlier years. There needs to be some fun in what we do with age. Everyone has different skills and time frame. None is important to me. I want to have some friends and some good times to remember. In 96, my best friend passed away from a brain tumor. We had a car show in his honor. One of the guys showed up in his 47 ford, no doors, no paint, no interior, you get the picture. It was the first time to be driven under it's own power. I'm sure that it was one of the owners best days. Only the serious car guys understand.
TEAM SMART

48builder

HaHaHa. Coming up on year 9 for my '48. I'm on the downward slope now though. HaHaHa.

A couple of the guys on here came to my house and saw my car back in 2001. It doesn't look a whole lot different yet. I have made a lot of progress, just things that don't show.

My goal is to drive it to Burlington, VT for the 2007 NSRA show. HaHaHa
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

donsrods

35window:  Everyone who has responded to this thread is saying the same thing...........sometimes building a car can drag into years or even decades. But that is the beauty of it. It is not the final destination we are after (although we DO want to drive these things SOMEDAY) it is the journey of creating something that is uniquely ours that is the kick.

I am very selfish about my time in the garage.  I work 6 days a week, usually about 12 hours a day. When I get a chance to go to my shop, I want to be alone. I love people, but I deal with them all day long. At the shop I put on some A/C-D/C, Bob Seiger, etc. on the stereo, and plan my next move. In a single evening I may only make one bracket, or maybe none, but the time I spend there is my therapy. My Son may be in the stall next to me working on his rod, and he is in his own little world, and I am in mine. We sometimes only talk when one of us hits a stumbling block or needs an extra pair of hands.

The other thing I do, and I see most of you do it too, is to have more than one car we are working on at one time. I know it is the least efficient way to do it, financially and productivity wise, but I just flat out like cars, and would bring every one of them home if I could. Personally, I have my '27 that I tore down 5 years ago because it needed freshening up after 7 years of almost daily driving, I have a Total Performance T bucket sitting that I bought 15 months ago, and I am collecting parts for a little '29 modified that I really want to build so bad I can taste it. I'm nuts, I know, and at age 60 my chances of finishing all of them is slim, but the dream of each one is what keeps me younger than my years. (at least in my head)

So, consider that you are an artist (we ALL are artists, using steel as our medium) and that all great works of art take time. But the feeling you get when you fire that engine for the first time and it comes to life is impossible to explain to anyone, except another guy or gal infected with the same sickness every one of us on this forum share.

By the way, here is the modified that has turned me on to build my next car. I've already got the cowl, doors, suspension, '35 ford wire wheels, etc. I just have to get this darned '39 done first.

kb426

The modified is very proper motivation.
TEAM SMART

Dirk35

From the original Question........... Yup! Mine is even a 1935 too!

I am now in my sixth year if you count the actual time and are not subracting the year and a half away for the Military, and the Half-year afterwards when I came back and didnt have a job anymore (I was working for a Contract job before deployment) so I refused to spend a penny.  Oh yeah, the 1st two years, I was a restrauant Manager and worked 60-80 hours weekly. My Restrauant got some awards for highest incresed sales and quality for the entire Franschise during that time.

My daughter is 6 years old now, I have a job with normal hours, and I am finding more time for the truck,................... but I still got a bazillion excuses not to get after it! :roll: